Google Algorithm Updates - 2022 Ongoing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me waking up to the news of another update this morning.

giphy.gif

Interestingly, it seems like the HCU could play a part in this core update too.

As much as I hate this ongoing game of russian roulette I am seeing some nice movement today with about a +20% traffic week on week. Some seasonality here but not to that extent.

Anyone else?

I am up like 10% or so.
I've had enough of these damn updates :neutral:

One site is down around 10-15%. It was down maybe 10% from HCU and then another 5% now (I think).

Another is up above 60% from HCU and then maybe another 10% on top of that now.

Several others seem static throughout.

Seasonality and holidays etc aside, my rankings are the same (actually up for my main term) but traffic is down. Perhaps long-tails that I don't monitor are down big? Have seen this same comment elsewhere too.

Seems to be a reversal to before the June update for me.

Recovered from the HCU dip, but this update just caused an instant 50% drop.

I've moved from 1st to 3rd-4th for my main keywords. Looking closer, the best ranking sites have a powerful DR, even with super-thin content. Having minimal backlinks seems to be the issue for Google pushing me down.

Lost 7k of Ahref traffic over last 2 days.

But then my #1 traffic post gained 3k...

About the latest core update, I believe one of the changes is lesser weight being given to the age of the domain. I have two sites in similar niches (first one is younger and caters to a broader topic, while second is on a 12 year old domain and is a subset of the other niche). First one spiked in traffic while the second one dropped.

Jeez, was an entire week of net negative trend downwards.

Lost 10k ahrefs traffic total. Honestly, lost all motivation to write yesterday lol.

Hopefully that's the end of it, slight uptick late last night.

Mad shit. Just landed position 4 for 135k search term only loosely related to the page lol. I’ll take it.

GSC impressions up from 125k to almost 170k a day (peak days). Web stories begun to take off as well.

If only AdThrive RPMs would catch up

In my main project I'm staying very familiar with, in terms of analytics, I let all this shake out to see what the effect was. The Helpful Content Update did nothing to me or for me, which was a sigh of relief when it was over.

Then immediately the September Core Update released and after a few days of that so far, it seems it pegged me for 10-15% organic traffic. Which isn't a big deal even if it feels like it is. It's a pretty routine number. Anything outside of that range is when we should start to worry, but through the past decade I feel like that's a normal range that you go through in the normal ups and downs, and if you keep going you surpass it and get it back in some updates, lose some again, on and on. But if we keep working, the trend is upwards.

What sucks is Pinterest changed their algorithm and I took a bit of a hit there, but I see them course correcting (by maybe 10%, which is still a 90% loss). Whatever, I don't lean on them for much anyways, but this happened just as I was trying to improve my traffic there. Really took the wind out of my sails there.

My overall traffic went down by 10% after the update started. But according to my search console, my impressions are the same, the average position is almost the same (went up slightly), but the CTR went down. And consequently, the total clicks also came down. Why would CTR go down without a rank drop? Youtube in the SERP? Lost snippets?

My overall traffic went down by 10% after the update started. But according to my search console, my impressions are the same, the average position is almost the same (went up slightly), but the CTR went down. And consequently, the total clicks also came down. Why would CTR go down without a rank drop? Youtube in the SERP? Lost snippets?
Yes even in buying section I see far more youtube in top positions. Google is again doing their own thing. Filling their own pockets. It's getting worse and worse with every update. Just wait before christmas they will push youtube even more. They need to make more money and less for publishers. Usually there was 1 max 2 videos at the top now from time to time i see 3-5 top youtube videos now!

This shit is just beyond frustrating. Was up 15% throughout the last week after the core update.

Now back to normal levels since the product review update began rolling out, even though I don’t even do product reviews or any form of commercial content.

What sucks is Pinterest changed their algorithm and I took a bit of a hit there, but I see them course correcting (by maybe 10%, which is still a 90% loss). Whatever, I don't lean on them for much anyways, but this happened just as I was trying to improve my traffic there. Really took the wind out of my sails there.

Did you write about this somewhere else? (I don't think I saw it!) What changed to where you're not happy with it anymore?

Well, it had to happen sometime.

It looks like I finally got hit by an update.

I went from 1.5k sessions a day at the start of the year to 11.5k last month and now back down to 9k, which are July numbers.

I was aiming to reach 15k by the end of the year, but that no longer seems likely.

Well, it had to happen sometime.

It looks like I finally got hit by an update.

I went from 1.5k sessions a day at the start of the year to 11.5k last month and now back down to 9k, which are July numbers.

I was aiming to reach 15k by the end of the year, but that no longer seems likely.
That's an adjustment, not a hit. Don't let it throw you. Keep pushing and that momentum will continue - a year from now it'll just be a blip in the chart.

Yeah, you have to look at the trend curve, like in anything else where there are external forces at play.

Yeah, you have to look at the trend curve, like in anything else where there are external forces at play.
Agreed.

That's why businesses do quarterly reports and you compare quarter over quarter. That gives you enough time to actually see a trend.

After all, we are running a business right?

Not sure if someone mentioned it here or I read it somewhere else but it seems that the last two updates were heavily skewed towards relevancy. My rankings on the keywords that I specifically target shot up while traffic to secondary keywords (which I answered in a H2 section) decreased.

Can't be too mad because I definitely wasn't supposed to be ranking for some of those..

Turns out it's just another curve ball of the algo. Dip has stopped, some recovery now. Seems steady... Back to work!

I do find it interesting that these updates occur when G is laying off people as is Meta, etc. due to worry about profits heading forward. I wonder if they are simply tweaking their properties or even sites running their ad networks into higher serp positions across the board. I wouldn't even be surprised...

I've seen A LOT of updates over the years, 15+? at this point I can't even remember, but this update in particular has been one of the weirdest ones I've seen in a long time. Others were more clear on their attack against spam, but this is an oddball algo shift that seems far darker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back