Google Algorithm Updates - 2022 Ongoing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twitter seems quiet about the update for now. Google has also not confirmed it has started rolling out (they usually do).

From a cursory GA real-time check one of my sites might be down 10-20% and other up by a similar amount, but I think that's just coincidence and it hasn't started yet.

Slightly up so far - do not think it has started rolling tbh

Probably too early to tell but I did get a 1k pageview boost yesterday over the day before.

Probably too early to tell but I did get a 1k pageview boost yesterday over the day before.
I did this same thing yesterday, with a slight drop, then I realized I was comparing a Monday (work day) to Sunday (weekend day). Once I compared Monday to the previous Monday it was clear I’d seen zero effect this far. Less than 1% difference in organic traffic.

I did this same thing yesterday, with a slight drop, then I realized I was comparing a Monday (work day) to Sunday (weekend day). Once I compared Monday to the previous Monday it was clear I’d seen zero effect this far. Less than 1% difference in organic traffic.
The traffic for the previous 7 days have been pretty consistent and flat.

Yesterday was about a 6% increase over the other 7 day average.

Then again I don't know if that had anything to do with the update or it was just about time for some articles to move up the ranking. Interested to see the data for today come tomorrow morning.

Semrush sensor seems to be lower than previous day... the calm before the storm?

Puts you in the mood for a Dark and Stormy (:

I think most people are overanalyzing this update as of today (the 25th of August).
Please have some patience before you jump to conclusions and potentially ruin your site(s) :smile:

The update takes 14 days to fully roll out and it literally just started a few hours ago.
So stay calm, and let the update fully roll out before you start taking action.
Any quick conclusions are probably primitive at best given it's the 1st day of the update being rolled out.

I am sensing a shift in the force brothers! lol, any you guys seeing shit flopping around yet?

Googs seems to be re-ranking a site that it obliterated in the last PRU. Seeing a mix of old keywords returning to previous positions as well as new keywords popping lower in the SERPs.

On one site seeing a maybe 10% drop, another a similar sized gain.

Massive upgrowth for all prior months, now flat for the entire month of Aug. Very bizarre.

I never get on Twitter but I've been searching "Helpful Content Update" to see what people have to say. I've seen zero effect from this update so far, so I've been looking to see if anyone is talking. Here's what I just found that can provide some insight:

zrY4Ikv.png

Y6G0RWf.png

MSOLpzo.png

I realize this chunk of text can help you find the site. Oh well, it's not a very serious site it seems. I didn't go look for the site out of respect and I recommend you don't either. But the text above shows how completely crap this content is.

It's got keyword stuffing, basically off-topic text, short little sentences obviously created for SEO purposes and not humans, repeats itself over and over. You may read it and think "it looks okay, my english-as-a-second-language content isn't that hot either". But even "rough" content that's not prize winning content can easily not have these problems.

Here's another Glenn Gabe found:

AtlXMvk.png

This is all fine and well but is it tackling AI content yet? Here's a few sites I've got saved to watch:

rFA0McL.png

6WO7hLK.png

nuApTEK.png

nhnXczw.png

The night is young and the update isn't done rolling out but so far AI sites seem to be skating by with flying colors.

How's everyone faring? My main site has seen zero movement other than the typical +2% / -2% week-over-week in organic traffic.

EDIT: See the update on how these are now crashing and burning here.

Last edited:
How's everyone faring? My main site has seen zero movement other than the typical +2% / -2% week-over-week in organic traffic.
Seems so far so good - +3% on US traffic which is where this update is supposedly starting...

US traffic down around 5%. Overall rankings on GSC worsened by like 1.5 WoW (Monday is normally equal to +-24, today 25.5; similar story for the other days in terms of ranking drop).

Traffic is all human written (98% by myself) and of high quality (natural links from Business Insider, Vice, Seeking Alpha, Yahoo, MSN, and tons of other leading news publications). It's frustrating to say the least but reserving judgment for now.

My traffic is up around 10% all of a sudden but i'm seeing quite a bit of movement and seeing old keywords from other sites popping back into the serps.

Trended up first 3 days then trended down next 3. Now trending back up and breaking new highs...

Probably nothing happening.

I PM'd Lily Ray before and she never responded to me ):

Not sure if it's because of update or just people search less last 2 days. I got around -20%.

I routinely go through all my early posts (it's a lot of work) and make sure to add/remove things that have changed and add content where needed. As I posted before, the March/June/August updates were brutal but we kept on pushing new content and updating all older content.

Sites have recovered. Some more than others but almost all the ones we updated are on an upward trajectory. I don't think we will be affected by this "helpful content" update because I believe our content is helpful enough for users to stay for 3 - 10 minutes reading it. But... will wait and see.

The sites the @Ryuzaki mentioned in his latest post look horrible so I am not surprised they were hit. I hope all that junk is removed anyway so we get more top spots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back