Featuring Customers - Is it unethical to showcase them without their approval

Degree
I have a free digital marketing tool that I see is used by a few major brands. I want to showcase them on my homepage. But would it be unethical to do without asking them first? I emailed one person, but he never replied.

Also, at what point can I call a brand as my user. One of the brands using my tool is a big 4 consulting firm, and the person who signed up is at a Director-level position in this company. So, it's not like the CEO of this brand is using it. But can I still call this brand a user since he signed up with his corporate email?

This is tricky, mainly because some companies have strict rules when it comes to their image.
For instance, I had clients who were very specific about where their logo or name appeared. Some even wanted to hide the fact that they are working with someone or using a specific product/service. I guess it's because they have their own clients and consider it a trade secret (just like a chef who wants to keep secret the recipe to his signature dish).
Other companies will be thrilled to be on your website, because of publicity. Others simply won't care.
Be advised - some company owners or managers may overreact, so always ask beforehand. Ask for a review and let them know that it will be public, on your website, like a testimonial.

Yes, that would be unethical and in some cases probably illegal.

Most people probably wouldn't mind being featured if you gave them an incentive. Discounts, a dofollow link, social media mention etc.

Also, at what point can I call a brand as my user. One of the brands using my tool is a big 4 consulting firm, and the person who signed up is at a Director-level position in this company. So, it's not like the CEO of this brand is using it. But can I still call this brand a user since he signed up with his corporate email?

I know most review tools are against this, but you could incentivize them to give you a review. Off the top of my head - offering them a backlink and a small discount should do it.

Back