Earn $50,000 if you can rank for "SEO Hero" in 4 months.

@mzonas, Have you begun your attempts yet? Just wondering how it's going?

@Ryuzaki, yeah, I got the site created with content. It is already indexed, they kind of approved me, now I need to do certain things like add one of their members to my Google Analytics profile and upload the content to the dropbox. I am not sure what they really mean by that. I will sort it out next week. I have been a bit busy, had my birthday weekend celebrations, was dancing like crazy. You turn 27 only once, right? ;D

They really don't want to pay that prize cash, or lose.

It looks like they are running a gambit where they can move the goalposts and/or employ any tricks anyone uses to their own page to ensure they win while booting you out for the same methods.

"I see you got some referrer traffic from an unknown keyword... You obviously paid some microworkers to manipulate CTR's in the SERP's. You're disqualified."

"I see you tweaked your on-page optimization after we pre-approved your content. You're disqualified."

I'm playing around with those silly quotes but I suspect reports of things like that to arise. The rules are purposefully vague and the demands are draconian. We'll see...

Reactions: Nat
The best part is when they don't pay the $50,000 and get a bunch of negative articles written about them, long term that's just more domain authority for them as well.

Not to derail the thread, but honest question:

Is this true? Links from negative reviews still help with rankings? So as long as it's a dofollow link from a good page it'll help you even though the article is a scathing review about your product expoding in their faces?

Is this true? Links from negative reviews still help with rankings? So as long as it's a dofollow link from a good page it'll help you even though the article is a scathing review about your product expoding in their faces?
A link is a link man. Not like Google are going to be like the content on this page is leaving a bad review, lets not count it.

I really don't know much about SEO these days. But knowing a few things about Google, knowing that a dislike on YouTube is a positive thing, and that no-follow Wiki links are still (obviously) good things, I'd be willing to bet it will help.

No publicity is bad publicity
If Google will ever try to manage rankings by taking into account "negative" publicity, they might create a huge problem for themselves. Also, that would be touching on censorship, which isn't their goal I think (I like to think like that anyway...).

@Ryuzaki, yeah, I got the site created with content. It is already indexed, they kind of approved me, now I need to do certain things like add one of their members to my Google Analytics profile and upload the content to the dropbox. I am not sure what they really mean by that. I will sort it out next week. I have been a bit busy, had my birthday weekend celebrations, was dancing like crazy. You turn 27 only once, right? ;D

Goodluck dood but take the advice of this community and you will make much more than that lousy contest. Not to mention that they are making you work for free and will just copy your method.

Yup, they want too much from me. Things that I don't share with my best clients. I will not be giving away my secerts. I withdrew. I mean, I forgot to give them my Analytics access. I mean, I won't give them ... like ever ...

Maybe we should create hoax properties and do some black hat for those properties targeting "SEO Hero" so they have very hard time filtering out. Their own website might rank on page 11+ ;D This contest is complete BS.

Usually this kind of stuff people just find a "winner" that will agree to take no money but not tell anyone about it. They get some amount of prestige for "winning" and the company running the contest saves face by claiming they did award a prize.

This happens in the marketing/CPA/guru contests most of the time from what I know.

Back