Deleting over optimized anchor text backlinks naturally

Degree
My traffic dropped quite remarkably in October 2018, and since then has not recovered properly. After discussing with an expert, his opinion was that it was caused by over optimized keyword anchor texts in guest posts I did. Looking at the history and evidence of my site I can say with 99% certainty that this is the cause, it is seemingly quite blatant. Accordingly, he has suggested that I contact the relevant webmasters and ask for the links to be removed, ideally one every two days. There are about 35 or so, so obviously this would take quite a while.

What sort of the rate do you think would be good a speed to appear natural, or does it really matter in your opinion?

I'd add more links and dilute those anchors with branded ones instead. Emailing them and asking them to remove them sounds like a knee jerk reaction to me. If that's really the route you want to go I would just disavow them.

I would build generic, naked urls, brand anchors ect to dilute your anchor distribution. If it was me, instead of having links you earned or paid for deleted by asking the website owners to do so I wld ask them to change anchors vs losing those links if they are legit and clean( I wld also run some low end t2 to them afterward to try get Google to notice/recrawl the changes asap). If u triggered a filter/penalty due to anchors it's gonna take a while to see fruit from your labor on the changes no matter what you do to get it back.

I wish u luck on the recovery.

Last edited:
I would build generic, naked urls, brand anchors ect to dilute your anchor distribution. If it was me, instead of having links you earned or paid for deleted by asking the website owners to do so I wld ask them to change anchors vs losing those links if they are legit and clean( I wld also run some low end t2 to them afterward to try get Google to notice/recrawl the changes asap). If u triggered a filter/penalty due to anchors it's gonna take a while to see fruit from your labor on the changes no matter what you do to get it back.

I wish u luck on the recovery.

Yeah absolutely this is the way to go. People will update the anchors with the same amount of effort on your part as getting them to take them down.

In the mean time keep on trucking and build some new links as both @mj22 and @Calamari say to dilute it all down anyway at the same time.

35 links is basically nothing in the scheme of things - what time is emailing them all to get a fix/change - 2-3 minutes each so 1.5 hours work max?

One thing I would say is that where you can get some more copy added to the pages too when you make changes to your link so it's not just a 'link only' change to the page. Offer to improve the article with some new information etc etc. There have been some good tests of this vs just changing/adding links in the past and it is worth the extra 10 minutes per when you're only dealing with 35.

@mj22 @Calamari @stevenbrownlie
Ok, will do, thanks guys.

When it comes to getting any changes done or new links inserted on those guest posts, would there be a frequency I should aim for, ie one a day or every other day, or do you think in Googles eyes there wont be any flags raised?

If you are already penalized I highly doubt it will make a difference, if you are worried about it only do a cpl /day. I don't know the entirety of your situation to say either way. If it was me and I was anchor penalized I'd be trying to get everything balanced out/diluted as quick as possible in hopes of the gorg lifting penalty quicker. I have had this happen to a client on 2 sites he sent me to recover due to anchor issues. One site recovered in less than 30 days, the other took 2.5 mos.

Keep moving forward.

Edit: misspelling via texting on here with phone lol

Last edited:
If you are already penalized I highly doubt it will make a difference, if you are worried about it only do a cpl /day. I don't know the entirety of your situation to say either way. If it was me and I was anchor penalized I'd be trying to get everything balanced out/diluted as quick as possible in hopes of the gorg lifting penalty quicker. I have had this happen to a client on 2 sites he sent me to recover due to anchor issues. One site recovered in less than 30 days, the other took 2.5 mos.

Keep moving forward.

Edit: misspelling via texting on here with phone lol
MJ22, did the penalty your clients had apply to just the articles linked and concerned, or the site as a whole? Or is it difficult to really say.

the one client had the root url penalized which effected the site as a whole.

Back