Core Web Vitals: Google Confirms New Ranking Signals

Has anyone ever had any CLS or LCP issues? The only thing I've changed on my site in the past month has been the addition of a sidebar (which contains 2 images with a resolution of 300x250). I think these issues are what have caused my organic traffic to plummet since the beginning of the month.

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
@DanielS, the Core Web Vitals are not yet a part of the algorithm. Also, when they become a part of the algo, you won't be demoted. You only stand a chance to get a boost from meeting the requirements of all 3 Vitals: CLS, FID, and LCP. At this point, there's no real websites that are meeting these (especially since you have to meet them for people on 3G mobile speeds). There's plenty of discussion on the forum about these Core Web Vitals now if you search, with clues on how to score better with them if you care. I wouldn't worry about these metrics as much as typical page speed, which will improve these metrics as a consequence.

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
THE FIRST CONCESSION HAS BEEN MADE

Tis but a small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

Now, instead of needing to be lower than the numbers above, you can now be lower than or equal to the numbers.

That's really just a difference of a millisecond on one or 1/10th of a second on another, but it makes a difference.

This image is going around showing the impact it can make:

Suddenly a lot of "Poor" pages are now "Need Improvement". I hope that, and I'm assuming over time they will, even if it's a lot of time, that they'll continue to realize how absurd these requirements remain.

bernard

BuSo Pro
I just checked, I'm on 4.5 seconds, I'm never getting under 2.5, not a chance.

I've been spending the last week trying to optimize my websites - mostly my main one.

This is the result for mobile test. It's an affiliate site that also has ads from AdThrive on it. I'm doing all I can to reduce the bloat without affecting the user experience.

I've been spending the last 3 days trying to do anything I can to reduce LCP. It's typically 3.5-4.0

Throughout this time I've been wondering whether I'm an idiot for not being able to solve the issue, or I'm an idiot for spending so much time on it.

I'm a little relieved that veteran users here also think that what Google is asking is unrealistic.

secretagentdad

American Dad is the best show of all time.
BuSo Pro
wp engine wordpress sites can be gotten to 90s relatively easily with out major coding.

Static sites should already be like 95+ unless you using huge images or weird gradient shit.

We'lle see if things move up the next few weeks.

WP Engine setup can be replicated quite easily for 1% of the cost. Most people will be struggling with Ad networks, themes or plugins. There is no excuse not to be 90%+ otherwise.