Chitika to Shut Down for Good After 15 Years in Business

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
ixt40g0.png

Chitika is closing up shop IMMEDIATELY for an interesting but probably not surprising reason.

They boasted (and still do):
  1. Over 350,000+ publishers
  2. 4 billion targeted ads served per month
  3. Access to ad partners like Yahoo, SuperMedia, and HomeAdvisor
  4. Proprietary targeting and placement optimization
With 4 billion ads a month, what's the issue? One of their "super partners" pretty much screwed them:
Unfortunately, due to termination of our partnership with our biggest exchange partner, no earnings accumulated after March 1st 2019 will be paid out. All earnings after March 1st 2019 have been chargebacked by the exchange and money has been returned to the advertisers.

The big exchange hit them with a month and a half chargeback and is dropping out of advertising with them. So not only are they getting screwed on 1.5x revenue from their biggest partner but will also no longer have that revenue stream. It was big enough to cause them to say "screw it" and shutter the business.

It hurts for them as well as every single one of their 350,000 publishers that just got screwed too, not just for what that partner charged back but for ALL of their earnings since March 1st, 2019.

If you use currently use Chitika:
They are saying that you need to remove all ad codes pronto because they'll cease to work after April 30th, 2019. Nobody is getting paid anything from earnings accumulated after March 1st from any ads from any partner. If you have an outstanding balance it needs to meet the payout criteria in order to get paid, or meet $10 for the cancellation threshold. The last payment goes out on April 30th, 2019.

Official Source of some info: http://support.chitika.com/customer/portal/articles/2973718-chitika-is-shutting-down

Ouch. I remember making good money with these guys for a short time (few months) around 2012 I wanna say. Then earnings fell off a cliff.

Was Chitika the one that was like "The online mini mall" or something? I remember their banner ads I think that were a lot like Amazon's native ads that display a number of products in them. I always had a hard time believing they made any huge amount of cash. Like that other network that auto-ads links to specific keywords with double underlines and if you hover them you get an annoying pop-up goading you into buying something.

Wow. What a bummer. I always used them on sites too risky for Adsense.

Any recommendations on whom to use instead?

my 1st ever online money was made with Chitika...the good old days

Back