CC9 - Random Dude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 5

Finally getting somewhere on the page speed. I optimized some of the requests from CSS by getting rid of google fonts. That got my requests down quite a bit as well as page size. I don't need g fonts, silly theme.

Afterwards I skimmed through CCarter's htaccess suggestions and gave it a whirl. Below are my current results. HUGE improvement. I got the load time on initial byte from 700ms to 260ms. Overall load time is 428ms.

OMS9y2j.jpg

I've started going through and validating the markup. Glad I went through the html/css guides on codecademy. Read in a lot of the cc9 having trouble with this. No need to hire a coder! It's worth putting in the time to learn these basics.

What I've learned: Optimizing page speed is addicting.

Hell of a job Vinny. BIG thumbs up.

I may take a whack at that htaccess code too.

Vinny Ima have to check out code academy if it was enough for you to figure out how to validate your code

Thanks @Calamari! Appreciate it :thumbsup:

@Politico, definitely do! I am not a coding ninja by any means... but when I'm reading the validation results I can mostly follow what is going on.

Day 7:

lc6q5Cu.jpg

Took yesterday off to be with family. Did one final speed test. I think it's as good as it will get. CCarter sent me homepage instructions, so I'm going to do that before finishing validating everything. Going to spend most of the day getting the homepage content ready. Will report back!

Day 11:

This have been slow this week on development. Full time job has me crazy busy. November thru March are our busiest months. Nevertheless work has been continued. Have been actively working on my homepage outlining three top money makers.

Homepage overview with top 3 money makers. Those links will go to a leadpage as below

nZ6pWfw.jpg

individual leadpage
DgBEXf3.jpg

Question for you builders:
Right. So I have two options for the "leadpages" on the services/products. I can link to a leadpages url or self host the page.

For this I would do a 301 redirect website . com / service1 to leadpages url OR have the page hosted internally. What route would you suggest?

On another note

The CC9 got our homework assignment yesterday. Goal is to have that done no later than tomorrow; today preferably. Sorry for slow on the updates. Just didn't see a point in updating when nothing significant had been done

Until next time,

What would be the benefit of hosting the lead page on it's own domain? I could see it helping for PPC, but no real other reason. Might even reduce trust for the user to be sent offsite. You COULD get a .com and 301 it to the internally hosted page and have the best of both worlds.

@Devil Anse --thanks man! Well. Turns out that they have a WP plugin that does redirects. Now it looks like (to the visitor) that they never leave my site.

Finishing up that homework. Just about done! Haven't had homework for 5 years. This is good stuff!

Hey fellow builders,

As you have already read from CCarter's post; I have voluntarily bowed out from the CC9. It wasn't from the amount of hours involved; nor the homework. It wasn't an easy decision to make. I came to a tough realization.

The self study that has taken place has already taken me to a new level. It has opened my eyes to not forsake the basics of on-page and having clear call to actions. Understanding how to write polarizing content that evokes emotion out of the reader is priceless when done right. Being able to find traffic leak opportunities to build a growing asset is a skillet that has no boundaries.

Without giving away what my project was.. it was impossible for me to measure financial gain personally. In the end, the drive wasn't there because the results were immeasurable. The hours put into learning, studying, and doing would be better spent on a project that my family can directly benefit from.

I will continue to follow along from the public posts with you guys; but won't be updating the thread.

In the words of the late Steve Jobs, “Deciding what not to do is as important as deciding what to do.”
I have a newfound perspective, knowledge, and drive that I hadn't had before the CC9. For that I am truly greatful. @MetaData if you don't mind please close this thread.

A few days @MetaData sent out a message about a followup post for the CC9. This is that post.

After leaving the CC9 I stopped nearly all internet marketing related work. I don’t know why. I just did.

Thinking back I just can’t put any exact reasoning behind it. Maybe it was all part in my reasoning for leaving the CC9. The project I chose to pursue wasn’t a project of mine; that of a family member. Having vested so much time into something I wouldn’t directly benefit from made no sense.

It was that realization that both made me want to stop all together and dive deeper than ever before. I recently chose the latter.

I decided to give it another go about a few weeks ago. Taking what I had learned while in the CC9 and applying it to a side project I started well over a year ago.

It is a relatively small site with about 10 posts on it; I hadn’t done anything for at least 9 or 10 months. It averaged about a few visitors from search results here and there, but nothing worth writing home about.

So I posted a couple new posts and started experimenting with a few smaller Facebook groups within my niche. About four different (moderately active) groups totaling about 15k users all together.

3LOC1gW.png

At first I did a few leaks to get back in the frame of mind. Here is what I have experienced. Remember the site is averaging about 5 people per day by itself.
  • April 28th = 73
  • May 1st = 64
  • May 5th = 57
  • May 8th = 71
At this point I felt maybe I was getting these groups too used to seeing my content. I decided to try a weekly posting to all of the groups instead. I like the results so far.
  • May 14th = 514
  • May 21st = 238 (so far)
I say so far because I had forgot to post in two of the groups when I posted today. I just posted a quick “I can’t believe I almost forgot to show this blah blah blah to you guys. You have to check it out!” on those other two groups

In these leaks my Facebook page has gone from about 33 people to 57 and my mailing list from 5 to 20.

Is it ground-breaking? Not really. Is it better than what I had before? Absolutely! I will continue writing up a new weekly post and spreading it on those Facebook groups. Also going to look for some alternative sources.

What did I learn?

I am willing to put in the time.. so long as it is for myself. It’s great to want to help someone else out, especially family, but not being able to directly see the fruits of your labor will take the wind out of your sails. If you want something than just go for it. The only thing stopping you from accomplishing your goals is you. So get out of the way and get to it.

Again I want to thank @CCarter, @MetaData, and the other CC9. Keep up the great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back