CC9 -- Kaylee

Discussion in 'Traffic Leaks Boot Camp' started by ModernMarketeer, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinnypolston

•  
    vinnypolston

•  
    Degree:
    Dude. AWESOME tool. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.

2. ModernMarketeer

•  
    ModernMarketeer

•  
    Degree:
    19/01/15 (1 Hour)

Whenever I've tried to play the IM game in the past I've failed for 1 reason - I didn't put the theory into action.

Well today that's all changed - I sat down over lunch and wrote what I hope will be a successful traffic leak post, I added the 2 links that @CCarter talks about here and I've cleaned up the leak destination (formatting, seeded with comments).

The posts now loaded into RedditLater and ready to go out at the peak time.

+ Wrote Reddit post
    + Cleaned up leak destination

Fingers crossed I have some numbers to post tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    SomeFries, badya122 and Ryuzaki like this.
  3. Calamari

•  
    •  
    Calamari

Degree:
    Good luck brah. I'm doing the same today. Thanks for RedditLater.

4. ModernMarketeer

•  
    ModernMarketeer

•  
    Degree:
    20/01/15 (1 Hour)

Damn I messed up! It appears that RedditLater is having some kind of issue so my post didn't go live.

My mistake - I should have tested the script before attempting it live. Life goes on.

My next window is tomorrow and I'm sure as hell not going to miss that one. I'm going to manually post it on the subreddit rather than putting all my trust in something outside of my control.

Anyway back on point - today I decided to test my landing page and the only real way to do that with no traffic was to purchase some.

I decided that I wanted to test Facebook ads as it's something I can use in my 9-5 too so I went about creating a campaign. It's been running less than a day but so far the results seem pretty good...

[​IMG]
    My ebook has had 9 downloads from the campaign which I don't think is too bad so far.

I think I needed a positive today to get me back on track after the let down of last night.

+ Created Facebook ads campaign

Ryuzaki and SomeFries like this.
  5. ModernMarketeer

•  
    ModernMarketeer

•  
    Degree:
    21/01/15 (2 Hour)

Okay so yesterday was a tough day with the 9-5 gig, one of those days that really hammers you... it was a day where I looked forward to my IM grind.

Firstly an update on my Facebook Ads experiment...

[​IMG]
    This was just a small campaign over 2 day, mainly to get people onto the landing page. I spent £20 which I think was a good investment.

The campaign managed a 2.83% click through rate and resulted in 32 email signups 16.93% conversion rate.

I'm really happy with how this went.

What I'm not too happy with are the results of my Reddit traffic leak...

I manually posted on Reddit during peak time and expected to wake up to a few hundred visits and a dozen comments but the real numbers were down... way down!

Despite reaching 12th on the 'hot' list it only received 2 comments (4 when I replied to them both) and only sent across 7 visitors with 100% bounce rate.

Driving into the office this morning I had to have a bit of a postmortem with myself and I think I know where I went wrong.

[​IMG]

Firstly I made the mistake of thinking. I thought I knew what kind of self.post would go down well without looking at how similar posts performed previously. This brings me on to mistake number 2...

I positioned myself at the wrong level - the subreddit is like a forum and I made the classic noob mistake of asking a "how do I make money online" style question.

Finally there was no reason for anyone to really stick around AND I didn't have any goals with the leak apart from the vague notion of tonnes of traffic.

I'm ready for the next one, I'm going to join in the community chat first and then try again with a different angle.

+ Started prioritizing my compelling content
    + Read through the latest CC9 post (not that this counts as grinding)
    + Drafted a post for the website.
    + Identified more post ideas that I can write to drop affiliate links into.

My next little project is to read and reread the notes from @CCarter and come up with an action plan based on them.

Kimoto and Ryuzaki like this.
  6. Satvrn

•  
    Satvrn

•  
    Degree:
    Nice conversion rate, but you should work on getting a higher CTR as well. I'd aim for 5% CTR in social news feed ads and even higher for mobile.

Also try how mobile traffic converts with your funnel... you might be surprised how many people actually use their phones for surfing, shopping and getting information (stuff I'd never personally do with a phone as I'm far too lazy).

ModernMarketeer likes this.
  7. ModernMarketeer

•  
    ModernMarketeer

•  
    Degree:
    @Satvrn this is great advice!

I wasn't sure what a good click through rate was and what a poor rate was - now I have a good goal to aim for!

I'm planning on making the landing page more mobile friendly so I'll make sure I look into mobile traffic more.

8. ModernMarketeer

•  
    ModernMarketeer

•  
    Degree:
    22/0115 (4 Hour)

The main aim of my time in the mines today was to implement some of the changes that @CCarter PM'ed me about.

One of the biggest issues was that my mailing script was being flagged as spam - this was something I didn't even consider! I fired up Mail Tester and received the following results...

[​IMG]

Oh - it seems like there could be a problem!

Anyway thankfully CCarter also included a few tips on how to fix this...

3 hours of tinkering with Mandrill and my PHP script later and the results were looking much better.

[​IMG]

+ Installed and configured Mandrill
    + Edited PHP script to use the api
    + Edited landing page form form to include some basic validation

9. Insaint

Insaint

Degree:
    Damn. I never considered that either, because my open rate was pretty high. I ran one of my campaigns through it and I'm getting scores between 3-4/10 due to some wording (guarantees, etc.). Time to start tinkering. Thanks!

ModernMarketeer likes this.
  10. ModernMarketeer

•  
    ModernMarketeer

•  
    Degree:
    23/01/15 (1 Hour)

One other area where @CCarter thought I could improve was by adding more images to my ebook so I've signed up for shutterstock/istock and I spent the day downloading a few images.

+ Downloaded 8 images from istock/shutterstock.

25/01/15 (4 Hour)

Sunday needed to be a big day as I felt that I was slacking a bit on Friday and thankfully I managed to grind out a few productive hours.

+ Started building up authority of new Reddit account by answering some questions and linking out to sites (not my own)
    + Researched 'hot' content ideas
    + Pulled together 6 links for next traffic leak experiment
    + Wrote a blog post for the next leak traffic

Ryuzaki likes this.
  11. ModernMarketeer

•  
    ModernMarketeer

•  
    Degree:
    26/01/15 (2 Hour)

This week will be a true test of my commitment to my project; There's going to be a lot going on at the 9-5 (14-15 hour days) so my plan is to push through even when I don't feel like hustling - an hour of productive work is better than sitting on my arse watching TV. 2 big goals this week for me - update the ebook and let the list know (an excuse to make contact with them), fix the final issue that @CCarter mentioned to me and run another traffic leak play on Reddit.

+ Downloaded stock image
    + Started photoshopping images to fit the ebook

27/01/15 (3 Hours)

I realized that I'm not as switched on as I thought I was. My last traffic leak was on a small sub 10,000 subreddit but with a little tweaking I could target a much more active 100,000 subscriber board that is still interested in my niche topic!

I didn't have a tonne of time today but as I'm keen to hit the window of opportunity again I focused on getting something done.

This time I'm going to craft a post that appeals to the target market and I'm going to try linking directly from the subreddit to the site rather than a self.post.

+ Researched popular content
    + Pulled in a few similar articles
    + Rewrote the content
    + Downloaded a few images

Kimoto and DeltaNine like this.
  12. ModernMarketeer

•  
    ModernMarketeer

•  
    Degree:
    28/01/15 (3 Hours)

I crafted a great post, downloaded the relevant images and researched the comments on other similar posts... and then I realized how foolish I am!

We've all seen how to produce compelling content yet I wasn't following the steps.

I grabbed a coffee and reread the post and then I reread it again and then once more for good luck.

Using the steps outlined in that very post, I created my compelling content and posted it on Reddit.

A note on compelling content.

Once I'd found a piece of content that had previously done well I set about rewriting it. I got about 75% rewritten before I thought "do I really need to make this post a beautiful and unique snowflake?". After that I pretty much just copied and pasted from the original source. It's all about getting something live - I can always tart it up for Google at a later date.

Did it work?

[​IMG]

Okay, okay so it wasn't thousands of visitors (it was just under 500) but personally I feel that it's a massive improvement from the 7 visitors my last traffic leak received.

The next goals are to cross the 1000 visitor mark and to get a signup from the traffic leaks.

+ Wrote new blog post
    + Posted to Reddit
    + Responded to a couple of comments

It's these little victories that make me walk a little taller and keep me pushing on.

[​IMG]

13. CCarter

•  
    •  
    •  
    CCarter Weakness cannot persist in a power-evolving world Staff Member

•  
    •  
    Degree:
    [​IMG]

Finally getting it - We're here for traffic - not to win Pulitzers... Once you fully let go, you'll realize how far you can really get... lets just say, someone else did something today - where even I was left speechless - like wow... the numbers are still coming in...

14. Calamari

•  
    •  
    Calamari

Degree:
  15. Politico

•  
    Politico

•  
    Degree:
    Awesome job! I'm excited about using reddit to leak traffic, but it looks like most of my niche related subreddits aren't huge. We'll see how it goes

16. ModernMarketeer

•  
    ModernMarketeer

•  
    Degree:
    @Calamari it's a great feeling to see the numbers going in the right direction.

@Politico even if you've only got the basics in place I'd just start and learn as you go. Content wise it's all in the compelling content thread and the subtle traffic leaks thread.

My problem's always been a lack of action which is why I'm so driven this time. If I get something wrong, so what I'll evolve and come back stronger next time.

CCarter likes this.
  17. ModernMarketeer

•  
    ModernMarketeer

•  
    Degree:
    My updates have been none existent this week, but that's not to say I haven't been working.

The 9-5 grind has been relentless but even after 16 hour days I've made sure to work for a couple of hours every night.

Without pain without sacrifice we would have nothing

I've still been really struggling with traffic leaks, this stuff isn't easy. I messaged CCarter a few times to discuss strategy and now I feel that I have a better grasp on what's going on and what I need to do.

I also got a good dose of reality and brutal honesty so I've been working on plugging some holes in my site and trying to improve the number of sign ups. Already it's trickling in with a new subscriber to the mailing list.

So the plan for next week is to build a list of a dozen more platforms, get all the accounts signed up and profiles filled out and then start to share some compelling content on them.

I'm also going to contact my list for the first time which could be interesting...

18. CCarter

•  
    •  
    •  

•  
    •  
    Degree:
    Are you serious???? You haven't mailed the list yet?

19. ModernMarketeer

•  
    ModernMarketeer

•  
    Degree:
    09/02/15 (3 hours)

I've spent the last week deep in thought, My performance has been weak and my head hasn't been in the game.

That shit all stops now.

I'm here to join the 1%, part of the marketing elite. It's time nut up and rape, pillage and plunder my niche.

+ Signed up and posted on 3 niche relevant forums, filled out profiles, picture and posted
    + Updated ebook text
    + Started working on my beginners guide

I was shocked to see that my forum posts over the last 2 days have driven 30 visitors and 4 sign-ups to my newsletter which was more than my first traffic leak attempt.

10/02/15 (3 hours)

The focus of today was getting the first newsletter ready to go out and fixing a few issues on the site. I've realized that some of my posts have been really substandard so I'm going through my content asking if I was a visitor would I read this or would I think it's spam.

+ Wrote the copy for email
    + Pulled together a basic template
    + Improved the copy of 6 blog posts.

CCarter - I'm pretty annoyed with myself that I haven't contacted them yet but the communications sequence will start this week.

20. CCarter

•  
    •  
    •  

•  
    •  
    Degree:
    I think a lot of people don't start emailing cause they think people will unsubscribe. Here is a news flash... People will unsubscribe period. That's life.

I used to be agitated when I saw unsubscribes, but when you've got a list of 20K people, and nearly 45% open rate, 10 people unsubscribing is 0.0005%, Even if you have 100 people and 5 people unsubscribe, that's only 5%, so fucking man up and deal with the rejection. Maybe it wasn't for them, or they weren't serious, OR they realized they are not your target audience, if they decide to unsubscribe, think of it as clearing cobwebs instead of rejection.

Every time I send out a email people unsubscribe - Period - that shit ALWAYS happens. There is nothing you can do to hit 100% batting average. But I also have people forwarding the emails to friends and family, and get tons of visitors, and by the next newsletter the list has grown positively, so just mail those suckers and move on.

Go into every email campaign thinking 40% of the people are going to unsubscribe no matter what - so make this email count, headline, etc. So then when you get 1% unsubscribe rate, it's going to be a complete win versus a 40% unsubscribe rate you were going for - AND IF you do get a 40%+ unsubscribe rate, then the way you GOT the email is the reason they are unsubscribing - Learning lesson. Maybe enticing them with free XYZ is not the answer since you get the people simply looking for free shit.

Vesania and SomeFries like this.
  21. ModernMarketeer

•  
    ModernMarketeer

•  
    Degree:
    16/03/2015 (finally an update)

It's been a little over a month since I updated this thread and truth be told (and as I PM'ed @CCarter) I've not done much with my website - year end is coming at the 9-5 and the pressure has been crazy!

It's done now and I can get back to what is important to me.

I've been driving a lot which has given me time to think, time to ponder and time to plan.

Everything I've done up until now has been shit!

My game has been weak and as I look at it now I'm embarrassed by what I've produced.

Where I've Gone Wrong

We all started this boot camp with different objectives and goals. My objective was traffic - an awfully vague answer that I have since slapped myself for.

I rushed into it.

[​IMG]

It wasn't in the slightest bit SMART and more importantly I couldn't visualise anything about it.

As I mentioned to CCarter in a PM, I didn't visualise seeing the money and traffic come in. I didn't picture building the lifeboat I need to strike out on my own. I never once daydreamed of walking up to my bosses desk and handing my notice in and then driving off in a brand new Range Rover.

While I was happy with the content that I was producing - it was the wrong type of content because I had the wrong objective.

This caused me to lose heart, to lose focus and to become lazy.

Getting Back on The Horse

I'm pissed at myself but I've learned a lesson and now it's time to move on, to redefine my objectives and to think more about what the fuck I'm doing.

Repositioning

Firstly - I'm an arrogant dick and CCarter was right to question my niche.

[​IMG]

^^ this isn't a good sign within an industry. Interest in my niche (from a content point of view) was dead...

If I'd looked a little bit harder (within the same niche) I'd have found a gem that's on the up...

[​IMG]

A big motivator was this post over on WickedFire. If you're also struggling I suggest you read it and think about the lessons contained within.

Secondly - I wasn't thinking about the audience. I was putting all my faith in customers coming onto the website, reading an article and signing up to my newsletter... This was the only call to action - I don't think that there was ever a chance of this putting money in my pocket.

To make money I need to add value to the customer journey and this means starting to think about product!

Turning It Around

New objective:
    By June 30th 2015 I will be making $100 a week from my website.

Content will have 2 distinct purposes:

1. Will put money in my pocket
    2. Will funnel traffic towards buying pages
    Nothing complicated.

The niche will be adjusted to allow me to better reach my objective.

Using "hunting" as an example (not that I know anything about the niche)...

Previously I would have written about best places to fish, how to start hunting big game and a calendar of the season.

I would then slap a sign-up box to the end of the post expecting people to sign up - how could I ever get rich from this?

Even if I'd written a "Buying your first hunting bow" guide - I had no way to monetize it.

Like I said - I was weak.

So we adjust - it's not too late to turn it around.

Now my content strategy is simple - I either write reviews of products or I write content that funnels traffic to those review pages. The "Buying your first hunting bow" post now has a purpose.

It links through to the top 10 beginner bows (complete with their affiliate links).

Turning It Around

I've already wasted 90 days playing at building a website, now I need to spend the next 90 days getting serious about this shit.

I finally feel like I have a raison d'etre.

fastdreamer, SomeFries and Ryuzaki like this.
  22. Calamari

•  
    •  
    Calamari

Degree:
    You just outted my entire affiliate strategy with 3 sentences.

Welcome back.

23. ModernMarketeer

•  
    ModernMarketeer

•  
    Degree:
    Okay weekly update time...

Firstly homework:

Picking A Niche
    So I mentioned in my previous thread that one of the things that I got wrong the niche selection - I still don't feel I have that 'money making mindset'.

Reddit
    I still haven't managed to crack Reddit yet. I was getting consistent (albeit low) traffic from forum posting and even managed a few sales... with my change of strategy I'm not sure how useful Reddit will be for quality traffic.

Focus
    This one is more personal but I seem to be struggling to focus on building my website out although I'm getting back in the zone - I know that it's the whole need for instant gratification but I sometimes feel like giving up when I see those low numbers in analytics.

The week so far
    It's been a pretty good week for getting stuff done. I've completely coded a new site template and started building in the features I need to succeed - I'll be saying goodbye to wordpress once it's done and hello to a new CMS.

It's going to be a quiet week next week as I've finally got a family vacation booked and I'm not planning on bringing a laptop with me.

I'm hoping to come back fired up and ready for some serious graft.

24. CCarter

•  
    •  
    •  

•  
    •  
    Degree:
    [​IMG]

Man... a couple of things.

#1 - the reason for the reddit traffic is purely to show you what's possible when applied correctly. If you can survive reddit without shooting yourself cause of the flaming, you can survive any other lesser platform and will learn a lot. It's purely to show you, that you can do 30K a day - breaking that mental barrier that exists within everyone that's never seen it.

#2 - You are falling into the trap that EVERY website owner does. When things aren't going right, they decide to re-design their website, re-vamp their CMS, or whatever. All shit that stalls the inevitable obstacles of generating traffic. EVERY website owner does this when they can't figure out how to market or generate traffic.

Your website is already perfect. Period. The new content just has to have a better goal - DO NOT waste fucking time on a re-design, re-vamp, or "starting all over" stage. Look at craigslist, that site looks like shit and generates millions of visitors a day - why? cause of the content on the site. It's not about looking pretty it's about getting the information to the people looking for the content of your niche.

#3 - concentrate on generating the right traffic with the content - a redesign is a stall tactic, it always is, it always will be. How many people out there have you talked to that want to work in their project but they've first "got to re-design it"... fucking waste of time. Traffic is all that matters. Worse case scenario you can pop-up a pop-up survey asking people what they think, what they want to see more of and what they want to see less of. Don't go down that re-design route, that's an additional 1 month of stalling with the work load you've already got with your job.

I'd rather see you struggling to hit a rock that's a part of a dam for 100 days straight and getting little cracks into it - cause on that 101th day, you'll hit it and it will finally break and the flood of water will come through, it's impossible for it not to. But it requires swinging, not re-designing the hammer.

Calamari, Kimoto, algospider and 4 others like this.
  25. fastdreamer

fastdreamer

Degree:
    @CCarter: nicemetaphors with the rock, hammer and water. Those Miyamoto books you read sure have made some impact on your thinking. But as he wrote the problem seems to be with the trend of the niche. Shouldn't he pivot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.