Bought My First MacBook Pro - Tips/Tricks/Advice?

Overrated... It's cool looking, but really doesn't make a difference. I honestly wasn't expecting to use it when I purchased the MBP.

The only things I've really been using are the brightness, sound, and esc touchbar keys. I thought these would be a major hassle, but it's not even an issue. The fingerprint key is amazing though for logging in. Overall, it works just fine, but it doesn't improve/change anything.

Biggest problem is most applications can't use the touchbar or don't even support it. Take VLC player for example, there's no video touchbar rewind/fast forward area like there is on Safari with Youtube.

Or if you like running "less than legit" software, or software that isn't the latest version... You're not going to get the touchbar features which sucks.

Is it annoying that the Escape key is a virtual key?

Is it annoying that the Escape key is a virtual key?

Not at all. Reviews online complain too much. It doesn't even feel weird going from the physical keyboard to the touchbar. The keys are so flat and slick to begin with.

When I bought it, I thought it would change my life. All I heard about for years was how great Mac was and "it just works", etc. I wanted to believe in the Kool-Aid because at that time in my life, I really needed all the "extra greatness" it was suppose to deliver.

I know the feeling. I do feel during the time of Windows 8, macOS really was better though overall for dev work. Also, there were not very high-quality laptop competitors like there are now.

With Windows 10 I don't really think macOS does enough to separate itself from the pack. It hasn't felt like macOS has progressed over the last few years, which is disappointing as I feel Microsoft is moving the needle.

Also, new touch bars are shit. Apple please.

Windows 10 is a nightmare...

Has 7 or 8 different UI's going on at once.

I've been on Windows 7 since it came out and refused to upgrade to the new Windows tablet UI look on a desktop/laptop. Windows 7 is by far the gold standard..

Design aside, there's just way too much data sharing going on with Windows. Needing to uncheck 30 boxes for privacy, with them scattered around the control panel? No thanks...

With OS X I just clicked don't send reporting to apple and disabled Siri so my microphone isn't being tracked 24/7. I get the sense that Apple is more concerned with Privacy... There's notifications and what not, including warnings about Siri's usage of data. With M$, it's more or less shady.

After using OS X I'm not sure what all it needs to beat Windows 10? There's only so much software can do at the end of the day. Apple's UI is way nicer, but not as functional. Finder for example, sucks.

7-8 different UI's? Have you used it? When it first came out there was more of a divide in some of the UI look and there is still some legacy stuff laying around, but I doubt most users would even notice it.

I don't really understand why people hold on to 7. There is virtually no reason to do so.

Data sharing has been simplified too, it's only a few check boxes now that you need to go through once, and they are all in the same section under 'Privacy'. The only thing is you can't totally opt out of the telemetry on the home or pro version, but there are tools out there that easily let you block everything if you really want to. As a dev, I understand they need to probably get error/crash reports from live system so that you can fix things. That's really all the lowest setting sends from I've been to dig up, so I tend to think the privacy issues are a little over blown. I do agree that Apple is more privacy focused and although I do sympathize with you on the point, you run a bunch of other software right (like a web browser)? And it probably calls home too. It's a tough problem overall really.

Yeah...

I was seeing this + the horrible icons on the released to the public Windows 10. I checked back months after upgrading and saw the same issues.

Example:

windows-10-menus_.jpg

Windows 7 is like the old vBulletin before it went to shit. It was fast, secure and did everything a message board software should do. Windows 10 is the result of what happened to Vbulletin when IB bought it. The new versions were rushed out with little care and turned out awful.

But I can't forget the forced Windows 10 upgrade and notifications. There was a HUGE ordeal over this and it pissed off a ton of people. I had to edit my core windows files in order to stop getting the notification and to stop Windows 7 from automatically upgrading to 10. Major pain in the ass.

Know this is coming from a designer at heart. So Windows 10 really annoys the hell out of me. :smile: Being on OS X is like a dream, granted it's not AS functional which sucks.

Coming up on day 4 now with the new MBP. Have to say I'm really enjoying it.

- Keyboard was terrible in the store. After using it, it feels 100% normal and I'm typing just as fast as I wa on my old HP laptop.

- Screen is incredible. Just beautiful...

- Battery life is normal. Not getting 10 hours, but maybe 5-6 hours on full screen brightness. I'm sure if I cut that down it would last much longer.

- Touchbar is just a gimmick. It's cool but really not needed. I keep wanting to touch the physical screen itself but it's not a touchscreen which sucks.

- Speakers are the best I've ever heard from a laptop. Beats my old HP laptop with Beats Audio and 2 seperate internal subwoofers. You can physically feel the bass when you're listening to music or watching a movie.

- Build quality is excellent. Super thin, just phenomenal.

- Slowly getting the hang of OS X. Not as bad as I thought it would be. The top bar is rather annoying to see. Where as windows has the file/edit/etc buttons in the physical window and not in a header bar. Sort of gets in the way.

- Overall, 100% happy I went with the new MBP. I considered options like the Razor Blade Pro which is $5K, and would have spent up to $8 or 9K, but this was the best I could find.

What people don't seem to understand about Windows 10 is, even when you use all of the built-in options to "disable" data sharing...it's not fully disabled. All you have to do is fire up netstat, Wireshark, or some other traffic monitor and watch that encrypted data STILL going outbound to MS servers. Not cool. Last I checked, I don't think anyone has found a way yet to fully disable it.

Back