Bought My First MacBook Pro - Tips/Tricks/Advice?

contract

We're all gunna mine it brah.
Degree
Life long Windows user...

Was hoping to upgrade to another HP... But the current market for laptops is absolute shit. So much plastic, same boring specs, (I've been on a QUAD core since 2011 with 16GB and a Samsung SSD lol). Amazed we don't have 6 or 8 core by now with 32GB to 64GB Ram.

Anyways, I picked up a new 15" MBP with the touchbar. :D Holy shit, this thing is LIGHT, THIN, and the build quality is just breathtaking. I've used $$$$ laptops but this takes the cake.

Slowly learning OS X while getting the hang of the new butterfly keyboard and hand sized trackpad. Any tips, tricks, advice or software recommendations? Feel like a new computer user again over here.

jbareham_161108_1263_0002.jpg

No love for the XPS 15?

It seems to be the biggest MacBook Pro competitor right now.

Couldn't do a Dell... Just hear too many horror stories. Same with their child company Alienware.

Only real dislikes with the MBP are lack of 4K screen, DDR3 instead of DDR4, 16GB ram instead of 32GB. Processor power is not a huge deal when I've got a 12 Core Xeon desktop to do any heavy lifting. Not sure I'd need/want anything else beyond what the current MBP offers outside of the above. Also a design snob lol. Apple won me over in that department.

Hah, awesome. I actually just bought a MacBook Pro too. Been getting used to it the last few days. My first Mac. Loving most things about it so far, but some things really frickin irritating, hah. I'm sure it will get easier as I get more used it though. Overall it's pretty awesome and glad I made the switch.

Welcome to the light!

I don't really have any tips, I'm sure there's still a lot I could be doing better with my MBP. After a couple years of my first dosage of Apple, I've almost fully converted, still have my desktop for some occasional gaming, though. Planning to pick up the Apple Watch once Series 3 drops (Watch + AirPods for the gym will be a killer combo, leave the phone in the car, stream my playlists right from the watch...)

Recently picked up AirPods (Fanboy rambling incoming...) and overall they're probabally my favorite Apple product. It's all the little things that make up the Apple experience, where on paper it might seem like whatever, but once you actually try it out it's like "Damn." If I'm wearing my AirPods and someone talks to me, I can take out one ear and they'll automatically pause until I put it back in my ear. The carrying case charges them, and quickly. To sync them up initially, you just need to pop the lid on the case near your phone and you're done. Then anytime you take them out of the case and put them in your ear, voila, that's where the audio goes to automatically, no settings to screw around with. If I'm watching something on my Apple TV, they'll pair up with that too, or my Macbook, or my iPad, etc etc... they just work with whatever I'm using. The only knock is the sound quality isn't what you'd expect from a pair of headphones for that price, but I use them with my cellphone mostly for streaming music or audiobooks, so it doesn't matter. If anyone's worried about them falling out of their ears, it's amazing how much harder it is for something to get yanked out of your ear when there isn't a wire attached.

I agree with you that having a totally spec'd out option would be sweet for the macbooks, but something worth keeping in mind is that your Macbook can get more power out of lower specs than comparing it to a PC with the same specs. With PC hardware and Windows, you have an operating system that has to be configured and optimized to work with thousands of different hardware configurations from all these different brands with different drivers. With Apple, their OS is optimized for their own hardware (and just a better written OS from the ground up), so you can get more bang from that 16gb of ram than with a PC laptop with the same 16gb. That processor in your Mac is going to be running a lot more efficiently than a similar spec'd processor in a PC. Also, just for the record, I casually read this argument someone and I'm mostly talking out of my ass, but it makes sense to me so I find myself repeating when the topic comes up. :evil::evil::evil:

If you didn't already, get the apple care protection. It's worth it.

I had a 2006 imac with 2 weeks left on the 3 year coverage when the graphics card started to go. Apple replaced it with a 2009 model, moved everything over for me and I was able to protect that for another 3 years. I went 10 years with only having to buy the one computer. I only did because I wanted to switch to a windows machine, the 2009 imac still holds up.

^ Agreed, I just consider Apple care as part of the cost of the product, and I'm usually not someone who ever buys extended warranties.

Also just want to add.. I was one of those super anti-Apple people at one point... until I actually tried it lol.

Couldn't do a Dell... Just hear too many horror stories. Same with their child company Alienware.

Only real dislikes with the MBP are lack of 4K screen, DDR3 instead of DDR4, 16GB ram instead of 32GB. Processor power is not a huge deal when I've got a 12 Core Xeon desktop to do any heavy lifting. Not sure I'd need/want anything else beyond what the current MBP offers outside of the above. Also a design snob lol. Apple won me over in that department.
The only Dell products I have tried are their monitors, which by the way, are great. I have luckily not needed to try their service/support.

Both laptops are surely powerhouses and definitely more than enough for 9/10 buyers.
I have recently been considering buying a new laptop; I swear, I am 50/50 split between the MacBook Pro and the XPS 15.

There is absolutely no reason to discuss where you get the most performance for the money, however, the MacBook Pro got one unique pro which might make it worth the (much) higher price; the resell value. If I am going to buy a premium product, it might as well be a good investment.
I have never seen anyone go hungry for a well taken care of PC (especially not a PC laptop).

Mac for → media & content production
Windows for → mostly legacy SEO tools that no one bothers to port
Ubuntu / Debian / Fedora for → all else

Seriously. With the Windows 10 shenanigans, might as well run anything else and just run an "airgapped" Windows 7 VM that has either no network connection or a very carefully monitored and restricted one.

As far as Mac, for graphics design stuff, rapid prototyping, etc. Sketch is awesome. Definitely recommended. A lot of power there, without descending in to the full depths of Photoshop-level insanity.

The Craft plugin for Sketch is downright baller

Let me paint you a picture. Let's say you offer contract marketing services. Say you want the ability to rapid prototype mobile UI design for pitches.

First load up your mobile template, and go to town

freehand.gif

Next, connect design elements using your chosen functions

sketch-prototype-5.gif

Then, sync with your iPhone and DEMO
Not just pictures, but interactive ≈≈≈≈flow≈≈≈≈

sketch-prototype-11.gif

Lastly, sit back and collect client contracts like a bo$$

Seriously, just the tip of the iceberg. Baller as in like, "buy a Mac just for that" baller. H-to-the-oller as in, I just gave some of you a monetizable business service idea, so someone better profit! (I expect royalties jk :cool:)

With Photoshop, you'd still be figuring out how to change one color on one layer. Nobody should have time for that in 2017.

If you didn't already, get the apple care protection. It's worth it.

I had a 2006 imac with 2 weeks left on the 3 year coverage when the graphics card started to go. Apple replaced it with a 2009 model, moved everything over for me and I was able to protect that for another 3 years. I went 10 years with only having to buy the one computer. I only did because I wanted to switch to a windows machine, the 2009 imac still holds up.

You're getting what you paid for, if you're OK with the price.

Here's the alternative choice:
  1. You pay for your MacBook with a credit card.
  2. The MacBook comes with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.
  3. The credit card (visa, MC, and AMEX all have this) has its own warranty on consumer goods. It doubles the manufacturer's warranty for up to 2 years.
  4. You have a 2 year warranty on your MacBook without a $400 Apple Care plan.
It won't be as convenient as stopping by the apple store but its free (You have to send in your MacBook for service and they'll send it back). Also, if you take good care of your MacBook, you shouldn't need AppleCare -- Apple's build quality is pretty high.

@contract How is the touch bar? Is it functional? Do you actually use it? Lenovo had a touchbar on their X1 Carbons a few years back. They quickly went back to physical keys for the Function row within 1 year. It was basically a gimmick.

Last edited:
I have spent my entire IT career supporting the various flavours of Windows (from version 3.1 upwards).

I use a Macbook at home and will never go back.

Transmit is a great FTP client!
The only thing that pisses me off is the Microsoft Office suite for Mac. It has improved over the years, but is still feels clunky compared to the Win version. I tend to stick with Google Docs/Sheets instead now.

@contract How is the touch bar? Is it functional? Do you actually use it? Lenovo had a touchbar on their X1 Carbons a few years back. They quickly went back to physical keys for the Function row within 1 year. It was basically a gimmick.

Overrated... It's cool looking, but really doesn't make a difference. I honestly wasn't expecting to use it when I purchased the MBP.

The only things I've really been using are the brightness, sound, and esc touchbar keys. I thought these would be a major hassle, but it's not even an issue. The fingerprint key is amazing though for logging in. Overall, it works just fine, but it doesn't improve/change anything.

Biggest problem is most applications can't use the touchbar or don't even support it. Take VLC player for example, there's no video touchbar rewind/fast forward area like there is on Safari with Youtube.

Or if you like running "less than legit" software, or software that isn't the latest version... You're not going to get the touchbar features which sucks.

I've never understood the love for Mac.

But I know I'm different.

I've been using Windows since 3.1, but have used Macs some off and on for years WHILE still using Windows as my core/base OS.

Win XP and 7 have been great to me. I also have Win 10 setup too doing just fine. I generally update every other OS for Windows as to not land myself into a version of their OS that sucks and is riddled with new bugs. I always update on the tail end too. It's kinda like new version of cars, you don't want the new style/update for a particular car. You only want that new style/update a couple years in when things have been worked out.

I've used Macs some back in the 90's when in school, but I got a MacBook Pro 17 back in 2009. Currently still have it and it's running El Capitan. I even have an iMac for my wife...

When I bought it, I thought it would change my life. All I heard about for years was how great Mac was and "it just works", etc. I wanted to believe in the Kool-Aid because at that time in my life, I really needed all the "extra greatness" it was suppose to deliver.

I tried to use it all of 2009 and some of 2010 full-time.

It was no different than my desktop or laptops on Windows. As a matter of fact, I pretty much quit using the MacBook Pro in 2010 because all it did was beachball/pinwheel the entire time I tried to use it. When it wasn't pinwheel'ing, it didn't improve in any measurable way how I work and the things I do.

I now only use it late at night before I go to bed randomly because it's simply in my bedroom along with my iPad and I like to read or do simple work things before I go to bed. Most times when I'm using the MacBook now, Im using it to TeamViewer into my Windows 7 desktop and work off the desktop like when I want to work outside, in another room, or from a coffee shop, etc

No joke.

Now that I can't upgrade to Sierra and High Sierra with that MacBook, I'm thinking I will probably hardly use it at all. I mean, I know I can still use it without those osX upgrades, but the future is looking grim in a year or 2 when possibly El Capitain is no longer supported with security updates. Also, it needs a new battery and still runs off a non-SSD drive so having to wait forever for things to load and having to be tied to a power cable is getting a bit annoying. Yes, I know I can upgrade those things.. but if I am going to do that, I might as well get a Windows laptop or convert the OS to Windows.

I *might* try replacing it with an Air/thin model and going 13'' though to give Apple one last try.

IDK. I do know I wont be buying the biggest and best from Apple anymore for sure. Unless the super thin small models at the Apple Store can blow me away, I'll probably never use Mac laptops again.

My wifes iMac is also on it's last leg. Apparently you can't just upgrade from 10.6.8 to newer software. You have to still buy/purchase the next version up from 10.6.8, install it, then go through a few other tweaks before you can get the "free" upgrades all the way to El Capitian. Again, if I am going to do that then I might as well install Windows on it or buy something else and claim the tax write-off.

Windows has never let me down in any way for more than 2 decades now.

Finding answers to issues has been quick, painless, and easy on Windows.. whereas finding help for Macs has been harder for issues I had.

Wish you the best of luck on your laptop though. Some of us tried to convert over and it just didn't work out.

I'm going to go to the Apple store this weekend and try one of the thin/small models. Lugging around the 17'' for years was also a bit of drawback even though I wanted the larger screen. It feels heavy now when I take it places. If the smaller thin models can't blow me away, I'm gonna stick to Windows going forward.

Last edited:
When I bought it, I thought it would change my life. All I heard about for years was how great Mac was and "it just works", etc. I wanted to believe in the Kool-Aid because at that time in my life, I really needed all the "extra greatness" it was suppose to deliver.

I know PRECISELY what you mean! I felt the same way. I naturally tend to avoid "bandwagons", and unfortunately Apple has a big one filled with people that mindlessly blow things up into a bit of an unrealistic "it'll change your life" belief. I started with PC's back on DOS, then Win 3.1 and most Windows iterations since. I've also been a life-long Apple hater, though in hindsight mostly because of the irrational bandwagoneering.

That being said, more recently I've changed my perspectives a bit and realized that, yes, in fact there are certain cool things on Mac's that can be really useful and provide better UX than some of their Windows-based counterparts. Some that either can't be found on Windows, or if they can, might not be quite as user-friendly. Nothing life-changing, but nice when you can take advantage of it.

The "single mouse button" thing is still stupid IMO. Also, window management in the form of the "stoplight" colored buttons is stupid IMO as well. Almost everything else uses what we think of as the "Windows standard" minux, box, X iconography. This is where Mac/Apple falls short for me, as after a lifetime of Windows, certain features like that just are not and never will be intuitive for me. Mainly just a minor annoyance though.

Being Unix-based is also nice from a development perspective. Again, nothing life-changing. People blow the "Windows compatibility" issues with programming languages and frameworks out of proportion IMO. It's just not a big deal to install Git, install other necessary package managers (Composer, NPM, etc.), add them to your PATH, and get along just fine with the majority of development needs. Again, minor annoyances, but nice when you can start streamlining some of those.

I've also been a life-long Apple hater, though in hindsight mostly because of the irrational bandwagoneering.

Well, that and having to swirl your thumb 500 fucking times to find a ZZ Top song on your iPod.

j/k Apple people.

Last edited:
No love for the XPS 15?

It seems to be the biggest MacBook Pro competitor right now.

I have the xps15 9550 (16gb FHD i7-6700HQ, 1 year onsite support,). I bought it in august 2016 for £1287.07 (inc VAT) after haggling with a sales rep, and it is by far the best laptop i have ever owned.

I considered a macbook pro, but the new model wasn't out (and now it is out, the equivalent spec is more than twice the price @ £2699.00!).

I do all my programming in a linux vm, which gets snapshotted before any software installs, and backed up to a sdcard and the cloud on a daily basis, so if i get my laptop stolen or drop it off a boat, i can be up to speed in about 1 hours with a brand new machine.

That's not to say i am slating apple stuff, I share office space with a bunch of designers, so i do use their machines fairly frequently, and the hardware is great, and OSX would probably also be great if i spent the time to get used to it.

There is one tiny thing that total breaks my productivity though, and that's the lack of a # key

There is one tiny thing that total breaks my productivity though, and that's the lack of a # key

Laptops don't generally have number keys, but if you mean regular keyboards they are one of Apple's top selling products, Keyboards with Numberic Pads: Magic Keyboard With Numeric Keypad

MQ052B

Edit: You can also just use any other custom keyboard like Das Keyboards - there is nothing stopping you from plugging you own favorite one in.

Laptops don't generally have number keys, but if you mean regular keyboards that one of Apple's top selling products, Keyboards with Numberic Pads: Magic Keyboard With Numeric Keypad

MQ052B

Edit: You can also just use any other custom keyboard like Das Keyboards - there is nothing stopping you from plugging you own favorite one in.

I was being a bit more literal than that - i mean they key used to output a hash symbol.
On standard UK keyboards, this is a primary key to the left of the enter/return key:

400px-KB_United_Kingdom.svg.png

On Apple UK keyboards, it is not a primary key, or even labeled as a secondary key (you need to remember to press option + 3):

nGyxv.jpg

A few other keys for frequently used programming symbols eg \ @ are also in different places.
None of this is a major issue, but with 20 years of muscle memory, combined with the frequency these symbols are used for webdev, it has a noticeable impact on my work.

I was being a bit more literal than that - i mean they key used to output a hash symbol.
On standard UK keyboards, this is a primary key to the left of the enter/return key:

400px-KB_United_Kingdom.svg.png

On Apple UK keyboards, it is not a primary key, or even labeled as a secondary key (you need to remember to press option + 3):

nGyxv.jpg

A few other keys for frequently used programming symbols eg \ @ are also in different places.
None of this is a major issue, but with 20 years of muscle memory, combined with the frequency these symbols are used for webdev, it has a noticeable impact on my work.
You're living in the stoneage. I'm on a macbook pro I bought in the UK and I have a # labelled as a secondary key on my keyboard. They must have put it on some of the new models.

Change the keys within the "Keyboard" options (System Preferences) to "British PC", it has your numeric right where you want it:

gcV20ks.png

You're living in the stoneage. I'm on a macbook pro I bought in the UK and I have a # labelled as a secondary key on my keyboard. They must have put it on some of the new models.

Quite possibly, there are 2 latest version macbook pros in the office, but they tend to be used docked with external display, keyboard and mouse, so i haven't really noticed the built in keyboard

Change the keys within the "Keyboard" options (System Preferences) to "British PC", it has your numeric right where you want it

Useful to know if i find myself working with an apple machine for any period of time, thanks.

@OP sorry for derailing your thread!

My Macbook Air ran with me from 2012 to 2016, without Apple Care. My Surface Pro 4's screen popped in 1 year and 1 month from purchase.

I hope Intel refreshes the Skull Canyon NUC series. It's completely viable to rig it with a battery and USB powered screen and have your own supercharged UMPC/Pip-boy.

images

Back