Any Underground Linkbait Case Studies Or Results?

Degree
I feel like an idiot... Probably the biggest opportunity for ridiculous linkbait post election ever, and I was so focused on my priority goal it didn't occur to me to put a creative spin on it for my niche. (totally unrelated, but who cares)

That said, has anyone hired any content writers for a linkbait piece that showed any signs of organic success without hardcore outreach? (I'm not experienced with this style of writing, but would imagine seasoned writers could whip something up that someone in the trenches may overlook??)

No experience with viral/clickbait style sites, but can see the value in leveraging a similar strategy for pretty much any site now...

Thoughts?

Chanilla, this post from the BuSo Newsstand changed the way I view this concept forever:
This is a real estate company that is pulling in obscene amounts of traffic by taking advantage of every event possible, from elections to video game releases, by making it tangentially related to real estate and doing mass outreach.

Chanilla, this post from the BuSo Newsstand changed the way I view this concept forever:
This is a real estate company that is pulling in obscene amounts of traffic by taking advantage of every event possible, from elections to video game releases, by making it tangentially related to real estate and doing mass outreach.

Appears it was removed. Web archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20150207071716/http://www.movoto.com/blog/movoto-com/buzzfeed-for-real-estate

This was an incredible read. I went through it twice. My takeaway is that their email outreach was the Jesus nut of this entire strategy. And, besides sending out emails to some blogs in similar niches with useful links / guests requests, I've never attempted this, but I am going to start.

From the article:

Emailing the correct people at the correct organizations with the correct pitch makes all the difference. We may develop three or four unique angles to the same story depending on who the audience is at the other end of the tube.

I cannot underscore the importance of this step. Don’t work your butt off to get here just to have your emails get insta-deleted from someone’s email box. Spend the time to think through what is going to get the person on the other end of the tube to want to read your content.

How do you start? I'm assuming after a year, they built up a reputation/familiarity with people over time? Do you start by submitting contact forms? (lol) Is there a tool that I should be using?

Bump, anyone got tips for ^

Our outreach emails last month had an open rate of 42% (better than some of my subscribed lists but that's another story... I haven't looked after them well at all) and there's nothing we do that you couldn't figure out in my outreach guide in the crash course.

Out outreach emails last month had an open rate of 42% (better than some of my subscribed lists but that's another story... I haven't looked after them well at all) and there's nothing we do that you couldn't figure out in my outreach guide in the crash course.

Gotcha. The case study was all about getting things to go viral & social media oriented which (in my mind) seemed really different than 'normal' outreach for linkbuilding, guest posts, offers, etc.

Hey maybe I misunderstood what you wanted - I was just answering your specific question about what you should be doing for outreach, not trying to answer 'how to do the whole thing'.

Obviously you have to tailor what you're saying in the outreach to what you want to achieve... but if you master the skills I cover off, and do the additional research, reading and study that I suggest, then read some more specific case studies about influencer outreach, PR, getting shares etc you'll soon be able to figure out how you need to adjust things etc if you do some thinking about it.

Outreach is more of a skill you have to learn made up of different disciplines from sales and psychology to writing and PR. Judging even by their case study they really tested a lot and learnt a lot as they went along.

Of course for 'viral' you have to have the content strategy nailed down too... and that's another piece of study, learning and experimentation. There isn't a magic do x, y, z exactly, get rich from going viral approach.

This really interested me from a going viral standpoint. H3H3 covered where all the YouTube pranksters have gone since their channels started struggling. Turns out they're making bank from some straight up insanity.

Definitely worth a watch... not sure what lessons to learn from it though, except that what works isn't always what you'd expect...

Back