ABA - Programming: Back-End & Scripting

MetaData

BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
ABA - Ask BuSo Anything Intro
Everyone's familiar with how a typical "AMA" works. People ask questions, the host answers them. ABA is a little different. Anyone can answer the questions that get asked, questions can be answered more than once by different people for different points of view, and ultimately we'll have threads that cover pretty much anything you'd want to know on any given topic relating to digital entrepreneurship. We're going to index all of the questions right here at the top, with quick links to different answers, so you can either read the thread in order or just skip to the parts that interest you.

INDEX (Still playing around with the best way to format this, subject to change...)

There are a few guidelines that will help us keep things organized:
  • Please try to answer one question at a time, per post.
  • If you aren't asking or answering a question, use the "LIKE" button to express gratitude or comment in the ABA Discussion Thread.
  • If you think an answer is just completely false or potentially even dangerous, please report the post.
  • We absolutely need to keep the noise to signal ratio to a bare minimum in the ABA threads, many people will be reading through these as time passes so we will be moderating posts that don't contribute to the discussion.
  • Don't be intimidated, chances are that you aren't the only person with a particular question. It's okay if its been answered before elsewhere, we're working on creating the be all and the end all resource right here.
As we work together to build more and more of these ABA's, they'll be a great place to direct new members towards to save us from having to answer the same questions again and again, while also improving the resources with new questions and answers. Keep that in mind when you're answering a question... it's worth taking the time to go in-depth because we'll be directing people here for a long time, it won't just end up buried in a dead thread.

Programming Back-End & Scripting
Here's your chance to Ask BuSo Anything about programming. This time we want to stay focused on two closely related topics: back-end coding & scripting. Think about items concerning app development, SaaS, website architecture, botting & automating, where to get started for beginners, how to take your skills to the next level, how to hire a programmer, etc.

Has anyone here started learning to learn programming later in life, and what was that like?

I could use some pointers on hiring programmers when I don't know how to tell if code is "good" or "bad"

I could use some pointers on hiring programmers when I don't know how to tell if code is "good" or "bad"

Honestly, you need to hire a programming manager that can tell the difference. Someone that knows the person can do it one of two ways, but the fastest way, number one maybe be quicker at the moment, but will create more problems down the road for you in a year from now. Number two is going to cost a bit more, but will save you money down the road. It would be impossible for you to understand the concepts and reasoning without knowing code, so hiring a manager to manage your programmers and explain it in layman's terms to you is your best bet. A non-programmer will never be able to manage a programmer IF you want the job done right the first time around.

It's like building a house - Have you ever built one before? No, so you have to hire a contractor, but how do you know who's good and who's shitty, by hiring an experienced person to manage the project that was a contractor before and knows when someone is full of shit and when someone is not. Or you can just hire the cheapest guy, and hope they know what they are doing, but when your roof starts leaking after the first rain, or there is no proper insulation cause your guy didn't know what that even is - you'll be fucked. Then someone is going to come along and tell you that the old guy didn't even build it to code and you have to tear it down and start all over, starting the whole process over... You see the problem - you are blind to what it takes to know what's good or not - so you can't make that decision.

You need to hire a manager to take control of the programmers and make sure they aren't fucking around with bullshit excuses and making up fake problems. The manger needs to know how EVERY function works, and why the coder did it like that. It's important, since If the coder runs off or gets fired, the manager can hire another programmer to come in and explain things in their terms and tell them what needs to happen. The manager should set the agenda of what needs to be coded, and why these functions need to work like that - then the coder codes.

When we outsource coding, we outsource it in an API style manner. "Hey Coder #1, I need you to build a function that calculates XYZ off of this Cassandra table then pipes it to ABC function over here." It's impossible for the coder to mis-understand that, and they don't have to figure out "building out the whole house" when they are just an electrical engineer. I know exactly how long it should take, and what obstacles they will come across, so I can help them overcome them since I am a programmer. You can't leave certain coders to their own devices, if you haven't sat down and discussed functionality with them thoroughly, why this should work like this, what you want to see on each panel and how it should function - and most importantly know the limitations of the environment you are working in. Without that - you'll be hiring any random cheap coder that's going to make you something that will break after the first rainfall.

Back