СС9 -- Meg Chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kimoto, I am not sure if this is what you are asking, but I hate creating text posts. I simply submit a link with a what I think is a nice title and let it do its job. However, forums require texts and its hard to actually place a link in it and get past moderators, unless its a subtle traffic leak like like CCarter showed us.

Just want to share something exciting real quick. The last traffic leaking attempt in total generated about 1,500 visits (and is still bringing people in). That said, the offers I had there were FREE for a limited time, and are not free anymore. That is actually a good thing, because people still use that page and use those offers, which are now paid (and they are aware of it). This, in turn, generated a total of $14.47 revenue! Proof:

RcZchNM.jpg
I hope no one is familiar with this look as it might give away my niche :smile: But oh well.

Another thing I want to mention is this. @MetaData shares his ways of increasing social activity in The Social Media Beast post. I went ahead and tried it with Facebook, but was not careful and this experience ended up setting me back $100, even though I've set up lifetime budget to $6 just to try it out.. :(
I guess good thing is that it gained me 255 likes for my page from US, New Zealand, and Australia and got about 4 clicks to my site from one of the posts I had (thats the new record). Proof:
sYjIVfA.jpg
I will continue building Facebook audience, but with cheaper english speaking countries, as it is possible to gain 10k likes for the $100 ended up spending.

Two more things I've done:
  1. I've used this guide on how to build HTML Newsletter and it is great. It is easy to follow and gave me an idea on how it needs to be coded. I then used Mailchimp to test if it would display properly in mail clients and it does. All I have left to do is add a 3-4 new posts, add thumbnails and links to them in the newsletter and send it out to my list of 15 subscribers lol :D
  2. I found one pretty cool little thing to promote on Amazon, which is only about $20 and created a review of it. Stayed up till 3 am doing it and here is how I tried traffic leaking reddit this time:
[Image removed to prevent OP from accidently outing his project.]
Aaaaannnnd.. I failed miserably and it was a massive flop. Only got about 60 visitors from it in total. However, I know exactly why this was and it is due to the title. The title fucking sucks and I should've made it more compelling rather than just a question about something that no one knows about..
apkKkFP.gif

Edit: I forgot to mention I searched for a few more forums to traffic leak from as I made big mistake trying to traffic leak so obviously. So I registered on two forums and started contributing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you really post only 1 link as the traffic leak?

6lMM8gx.gif

Look at the Group chat - Post #2 <--- there are two examples in that post, and BOTH have two options in there, read that post again. I would have the first link going to my desired link, and the 2nd link going to a competitors link - that way no one can call you out.

Look at the Group chat - Post #2 <--- there are two examples in that post, and BOTH have two options in there, read that post again. I would have the first link going to my desired link, and the 2nd link going to a competitors link - that way no one can call you out.
Got it, will do 2 links this time.

Wanted to post a small update on what is going on right now.

I created 3 reddit accounts with verified emails. I will use those to supply relevant content to my niche as well as dropping content to my site, with minimum of 2 links, one being to my site and others to the competition. This to be done along with 2 other already contributing forum accounts I mentioned in the previous post.

I tried applying for different monetisation solutions, however was rejected by them due to lack of traffic and advised to come back some time later. Fair enough.

I am about to send out my first email newsletter and I am really nervous about it. Will report back on how it went.

Okay, the newsletter results.

Email Newsletter
First, I want to tell you how I got the emails in the newsletter. I had one article, which was kind of a troll, and engaged quite well and had a decent discussion under it. I took the emails of all the participants and chucked them in my mail chimp mailing list. There are, however about 6 real subscribers, and the rest 9 are from the comment section.

So, out of 15 sent emails, there are 4 opens. 0 from those opens have clicked the links to my site. But that should change after I get more subscribers from reddit traffic leaking, which I am about to tell you.

Reddit
As I said, I created 3 reddit accounts. Since they are new and quite empty in terms of link and comment karma, I can't really use them to traffic leak just yet. I've made a few link post and so far they have not taken off, rather got one down vote each and reddit decided to not show them to the rest of the people. That was in my related niche, which is rather large.

So what I did to change that was to go to stumbleupon.com and found and interesting stuff. I got the link, found a subreddit that would somehow match with the link and submitted. The subreddit was only about 4000 subscribers and got 30 upvotes, but that was enough to get it to the top in that subreddit:
hSclSfh.jpg

Social
After getting those 250 new likes for my page, the activity did not increase significantly. However, last link I shared, I used the compelling title technique and Facebook post image instructions by @MetaData and it got 4 clicks. It is the best I have ever gotten on a Facebook post, according to Buffer anyway.

Now that I've got all the basics down, like email newsletter etc, I will just be writing content and getting page likes for my Facebook page.

@badya122 - Great thinking with using Stumbleupon!

I might try that out later today even if it's just to boost the profile authority.

Here is what I've been busy with since last time I updated:
  • Installed and set up Yourls (Your own URL shortener). Just wanted to make site appear more brandable with my own link shortener. It is not as great as I thought, but is definitely better than standard link.
  • After realising that Clicky only saves up to 28 days of data on user tracking, I quickly installed Piwik again. Previously, I had to delete it because it would only show 25% of real traffic. It was when it was installed on a subdomain. This time I've placed it in a subdirectory, and now the results from Clicky match (click had them right when Piwik did not).
  • Did not achieve better results with reddit or forum traffic leaking. Instead, did some competitor website traffic leaking and it brought some visitors to my site, although not as many. Possibility of getting 20,000 to 100,000 visitors just from reddit still keeps me motivated, as I can only imagine how great it will feel.
  • Increasing karma for my reddit accounts and keeping forum accounts active.
  • Reached out to an authority in my niche to see whether they would like to do a guest post on my site and share it with their followers (about 150,000). He agreed, but will set me back $125 for 1000 words, but is worth a try anyway.
  • Got a part time job (and will probably get second one) to fund this project. I'd like to increase my Facebook and Twitter audiences to 15,000 - 20,000 real people, for now. Being conservative, if only 1% of those were active, that would be 100 visits/likes/favourites/retweets just from Twitter and another 100 from Facebook. Already better than current stats. This is what I saw my competitors do, and it is working for them so I am adopting it. All this involves the funds that I don't have.
  • Checked the email newsletter grade:
bOI5usD.jpg

Also, this:
What causes a site to earn the "reddit hug of death"? It's not the cute little shit posts and images I have been posting. It's epic content that helps people.

That's where I'm attempting to go now.

A really great thought that got me thinking. I am going the same route now.
Thanks, @Calamari!

Do you guys like longs posts? This is a long post.

What I've done with the site:
  • Little bit of restyling to make it appear more brandable
  • For some stupid reason I had absolutely no links to my twitter and Facebook pages after getting rid of social boxes. Now fixed.
  • Another stupid thing I had is my top navigation had Privacy, Contact, About etc pages instead actual categories the site covers. Fixed.
  • Optimised Page speed even more:
DikktSC.png
  • Changed the home page of the site to be more logical and good looking.
  • Got rid of ads altogether. Don't have any affiliate links just yet... I am looking for something so great, I can review it and try to traffic leak to that page and see if can make a few sales. I have an idea that could potentially work to generate a few bucks, but dunno if it will work.
Traffic Leaking Report:

Content:
  • Spent 2 full days grinding day and night creating a Top List. It is way longer and bigger than what the competition has and had ever done. Normally, they have 8 to 20. I had double that.
  • The article was total of 3,500 words. Full of images, gifs, explanations, suggestions and a bit of insider approach. All the images and gifs were self made, the mistake I made is I did not watermark them. Content was also self written.
  • The trick is this: I went to one subreddit and found a "list of <my niche related>" self.post, where all redditors gathered and shared what they knew. I scrolled through and picked some of the good points. I browsed G and found some extra points that I thought would be interesting and added them to my list.
Traffic Leaking:
  • I knew I couldn't post that list in the subreddit where I got it from, even though they made it 2 years ago.
  • I chose a broader, although equally large subreddit and submitted a link. (The rules of that subreddit are fine with that, even promote links rather than text posts)
  • Spent about 5 minutes just thinking about the title. I was afraid that link bait title would get too many down votes, as redditors can easily spot one. I browsed old similar posts and took note of the successful titles. Replicated one with a bit of change. Posted.
  • Date and Time: I posted it on Dec, 31 in the evening of my local time, which was early morning in US. (There were 300 active users in that subreddit) I did not really pay much attention to timing.
Results:
Note, without traffic leaking, the visits are 25-30 per day.
Graph:
moY2JbS.jpg
Stats:
TbU48p3.jpg
Damn, this better make uncle Carter proud.

Post stats:
00qksmd.jpg

The post is not even close to the top. Top/Hot posts have like 5,000 upvotes. I can't image how much traffic the top/hot posts can get you. This post got large number of upvotes, as well as down votes, for some reason. Anyway, people in the comments said thanks, so that's something. Some comments said the down votes are because the list posts are quite popular and redditors keep thinking its the same old shit and down vote without even looking.

EMAIL Sign Ups
Email sign ups were terrible. 7 out of 4799 sign ups is only 0.145% sign up rate. Fucking dreadful. Obviously needs better optimisation. I have ideas how to fix it.

The mobile version of the site gets fucked up sometimes, so I am fixing that too.

Here is what you really need to get the same results:
Creating "Compelling" Content (by @CCarter)
Reddit Marketing (can't remember what thread I found it here, on BuSo)
Just follow the steps in there and you will have your traffic :smile:

I'm up drinking and working and I'm glad to be able to be the first one to say...

Fuck Yeah!

You should easily be able to generate 100K in a single shot with your site, so keep on grind.

Patience and practice. But.. Your niche is full of fanboys...
Either get them riled up (very easy with them) or stroke their fandom.
Also good : there is a rival faction, double the target audience!

X reasons Justin Bieber is God.
The new Justin CD stinks.
... Etc

I've been quite busy recently with this project.

I realized my last traffic leaking attempt was a complete waste. Not only did I waste time, I did not make any money. I'll explain why.

I removed all sorts of advertising for speed testing purposes. Thus, the only thing that I could potentially benefit from that leak was email sign ups, which were horribly bad at that time, although after that attempt, I got total of 22 new subscribers. Anyway, that traffic leaking attempts, although somewhat successful, did not make a single dollar, because the ads were not put back in place and I was too dumb to realize faster.

Thanks to @emp, I am now smarter when it comes to taking care of incoming traffic.
I spent last couple of days creating quality content in a form of product review with affiliate links to Amazon. While I planned 10, I have only completed 2 so far. Just to try it out, because I am eager to make some money, I used Reddit Pwnage technique. It was almost 1 to 1 copy, with small alternations to fit my niche and the topic. As a result, the post is at the top of Hot sections with the biggest amount of upvotes and some comments. Sadly, the attempt at generating 100K failed, only generating 100 pageviews, with total of 3 affiliate clicks. I also created a few forum posts across related forums, and posted about 5 comment posts on popular website that have no moderation. That was a fail, too.

I am planning on using paid Facebook promotion to send some traffic to those reviews and see if I can make any money with it, thanks for @Satvrn tips. That is going to be once I am done with all the reviews, though.

Back to the grind now.

If you want to increase the number of clicks your affiliate links get try installing a heatmap. And then place your links in the section of the page that people are spending the most time on.

I also move the most popular sections of the page towards the top to get them and my affiliate links above the fold whenever possible.

Different Advertisers running ads on the network, or a higher budget advertiser came onto the network or left, or someone is specifically targeting your site with their Ads cause they like it.

You have to remember, the ads in Google Adsense are people too. They've got budgets that start and end, and fluctuate as well through out the day. Nothing is static at all. If all the advertisers on Google Adwords decide to skip a day of Advertising collectively then Google makes no money and guess what - you will make zero dollars as well.

It's been a week since my last update, so here goes another one.

Assignments status:
[X] Assignment #1: - Write a self.reddit that generates 1K visitors to your site.
Successful Reddit Traffic leak, but not as successful as @Calamari or @Jarred here. Reason for concentrating on Reddit so much is because my website is news orientated. Possibly the biggest mistake I made in my life. Never get into news unless you have a good budget and can afford writers scanning the internet for news and curating them.
Here is the proof:
JIQZfs6.jpg
Nothing really interesting or impressive here. High bounce rate and low visit duration. Traffic is still coming in.

Here is the cool part:

bXDS0lA.jpg
No social promotion. This time I did not even post to Twitter nor Facebook. The article has about 300 words about an accessory. It was a bit ordinary and hence took off on Reddit, I think. Got 30+ upvotes and 9 comments so far. Looks like Reddit icon represents an approximate amount of upvotes a post got instead of how many times the article got shared? Dunno. Reddit comments are mean as fuck, as usual, therefore I turn of inbox notifications. Fuck that.
What is also cool, is that I got cited on some site I have never heard about. Just saw traffic coming in from there, checked it and they put me as source. It was my first time, and it was emotional :smile:
Also, as I am writing this, another one popped up. They said this: [Their website name] just exclusively learned from [My site name] about this awesome [rest is classified]. Cool! More backlinks! Is this how you get them?
Also, got a notification of some guy tweeting saying that he wishes he had [classified] to be able to buy this awesome [classified] via @MyBrandName.

Here is the interesting part:
SEO MUCH?
m3Ol7nU.jpg

I'll be honest though. I did try to optimize the article a bit. Keywords placement in URL, Titles, first paragraph and pictures. All that SEO by Yoast wants from you. Pretty handy I find. All that traffic came from one long tail keyword, in its multiple phrasings (if that makes sense). I used Google keyword tool to see how much visitors it would bring to my site, and it showed 40. I'm glad I got x10 of those 40.

I did make a mistake disregarding SEO completely initially, which I shouldn't have, because a brand should still have some SE traffic to be sold for at least x10 profits, but I ain't a guru. No I have to get that green dot for some of my older articles to see if it will improve anything.

[ ] Assignment #2: Get 100 visitors from a blog post comment.

[ ] Assignment #3: get 1000 visitors from a forum traffic leak

Good job, and yeah, just because you aren't relying on backlinks to rank for traffic, doesn't mean you shouldn't use on-page SEO to siphon some love passively as you move along. That's "free" traffic that will build to huge numbers as you continue your leaking process. All of those shares and natural links will give your website a very legit backlink profile that search engines will reward greatly, IF your on-page SEO is on point.

Thanks, @Ryuzaki! I just started learning about SEO stuff. Keyword placements and density etc.
How important are <meta keywords> and <meta description>?

My theme is a bit unique. It does not have any content on the home page, rather has a system that places self coded widgets on the home page that displays different categories, with contents in them, but those are not shown to Google. Because of that, my snippet description consisted of my header navigation links. To fix it I placed <meta keywords> and <meta description> in the header in my theme. Was this correct? Or is it wrong? The snippet is fine now, but is it correct to do it that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back