Three Pinterest questions for you

Sutra

Investor and Business Mentor
BuSo Pro
Degree
I'm a noob when it comes to pinterest.
  1. Is there a way to build up a Pinterest page similar to how you can run FB ads to get likes for your page?
  2. I read about using keywords in descriptions for images. People also talked about SEO too. So are you supposed to keywords bases on Google searches (like standard SEO practice) or are you supposed to use keywords that match pinterest searches (this seems to make more sense)?
  3. How do you know which keywords to use on Pinterest...is there a way to do keyword research?

Unlike Facebook it seems like on Pinterest if you just pin, like and comment on people's stuff you build up a following so I guess you wouldn't want to spend on ads to do it. My assistant is in the early days of it but she's just spending 30 minutes a day on Pinterest doing just that and we're building steadily. I'm not a social media consultant so no expert on unpaid social (the whole point of my journal and this experiment was to learn new stuff like unpaid)... but so far I'd say it's going ok.

I think the SEO part has to do more with naming the account/url, boards and, writing a very good description for each. In my case, I used the category names for the boards I'm currently using on the site.
If you don't have the time to do all pinning, liking, following, unfollowing, commenting etc...Try autopin.co. I do have an account there this running with no issues to report so far. I'm also looking into FollowLiker @RomesFall is using it and seam to be happy with it.

Unlike Facebook it seems like on Pinterest if you just pin, like and comment on people's stuff you build up a following so I guess you wouldn't want to spend on ads to do it. My assistant is in the early days of it but she's just spending 30 minutes a day on Pinterest doing just that and we're building steadily. I'm not a social media consultant so no expert on unpaid social (the whole point of my journal and this experiment was to learn new stuff like unpaid)... but so far I'd say it's going ok.

Sounds like you can't run ads to build the profile then? That's too bad. I try to pin/repin about 30 pins each day. Was hoping to turbocharge it like I did with Facebook though, hah.

I think the SEO part has to do more with naming the account/url, boards and, writing a very good description for each. In my case, I used the category names for the boards I'm currently using on the site.
If you don't have the time to do all pinning, liking, following, unfollowing, commenting etc...Try autopin.co. I do have an account there this running with no issues to report so far. I'm also looking into FollowLiker @RomesFall is using it and seam to be happy with it.
Awesome, thank you. What's the difference between Autopin and Pinblaster?

You're using rich pins, right?

Yes indeed. Set that up a couple weeks ago.

What's the difference between Autopin and Pinblaster?
Glancing at it quickly, it does not look any different with the exception of one is subscription base and hands off and Pinblaster is one time payment and needs little babe-setting...

I am using pinbot on a test acct and it seems pretty cool. I have the instagram follow liker and I love it.

Don't worry about followers on Pinterest. They come later. Pinterest is all about content. Push that content regularly to Pinterest and followers will come. You can have traffic without lots of followers. If your account is brand new I would follow 50 people a day manually until you are following 2-3k people and have around the same followers. Just for cosmetic purposes, no real benefit for traffic. No need to un-following them. Also if your site is new there is "sandbox" period where your pins don't show anywhere. When your site gets older and they see you are pinning that shit regularly and you are legit, you will start getting traffic. At least that was true in my case. What keywords to use? There is hundreds of sites on popular page right now and every pin is targeting some keyword. Google searches also often are similar to searches on Pinterest. Play with it you will get hang of it after some time. Also, I would not risk it with pin blasters and shit like that if you are serious. I did everything manually and I get more than one milion pageviews a month from Pinterest. I am not saying automation does not work. But when shit hits the fan guess who goes first and who stays?

Awesome info @Varys thank you.

In your experience, is the effort of commenting on people pins and inviting them to your board worth it? Or should you just stick to the pin/repins and follows?

I am using pinbot on a test acct and it seems pretty cool. I have the instagram follow liker and I love it.
I used pinblaster in the past, just for scraping and posting content. I wanna switch over to followliker, have you used the pinterest version? Hows the instagram version?

I used pinblaster in the past, just for scraping and posting content. I wanna switch over to followliker, have you used the pinterest version? Hows the instagram version?
Followliker is the best I have used so far. The instagram version has been pretty solid. Also another one I think is Mass Planner i think as well.

@Varys when you say push content, what's your ratio of pinning your own content vs re-penning? How many pins are we talking about a day? Is there any other activities you do or just pinning? Sorry about all the questions...

Awesome info @Varys thank you.

In your experience, is the effort of commenting on people pins and inviting them to your board worth it? Or should you just stick to the pin/repins and follows?

I just stick to pining my stuff. I don't say it is only way to do it. I am sure different things work for different people.

@Varys when you say push content, what's your ratio of pinning your own content vs re-penning? How many pins are we talking about a day? Is there any other activities you do or just pinning? Sorry about all the questions...

I mostly pin my own content. How many pins? Well it depends how much content you have on your site. I can't pin something if I don't have related article published on my site. Make content on your site and then pin that content. Makes sense? It is not complicated and there is no secret tactic. Make content and pin it. I said it before, advantage of Pinterest is that Pinterest itself distributes your content, in contrast to other social media where you need to have followers/likes to distribute your content directly to them. It just takes time and content that people actually want to pin/save. That's the hardest part.

Also, I saw around people suggesting deleting old pins that are not performing well. I would not recommend that. It can literally pass months until your pins starts getting traffic and it does not matter when it was pinned. Then traffic slows down and after month or two traffic starts again. Depends where it shows up on Pinterest.

Last edited:
@Varys do you have any evidence that you need to keep a consistent schedule on some level for your pins to generate traffic?

Also if your site is new there is "sandbox" period where your pins don't show anywhere. When your site gets older and they see you are pinning that shit regularly and you are legit, you will start getting traffic.

That makes me feel a lot more happy about progress on Pinterest where so far other people's stuff we're sharing is doing so well, and our own stuff not so much (despite being objectively 'fairly similar'). The site is brand new. Thanks for the pointers.

@Varys do you have any evidence that you need to keep a consistent schedule on some level for your pins to generate traffic?

I can't really tell for sure. I always had regular content, even if it was one article a week when site the was new. I guess freshens is always a plus.

Back