Introductions Thread

Welcome, I'm glad you've decided to be an active member. You'll be a real asset with your experiences and successes, and I know we can return the favor. Catch you around the forum!

A decade of PPC experience! Very nice. We have a couple of other members that have experience of that length with huge 7 figure budgets. You guys should be able to toss each other some tips and have everyone come out on top. That's great about starting your own site project. Consider starting a Laboratory journal if you think it'll help. We'll be happy to answer any questions and give out our opinions. Catch you around the forum!

Welcome - looking forward to hearing what you're up to. Especially if you grow a PPC based side project site rather than organic and 'free leaks' based as that would be quite unique compared to many of the case studies. Always fun to read something different!

Welcome, I'm glad you've decided to be an active member. You'll be a real asset with your experiences and successes, and I know we can return the favor. Catch you around the forum!

Thanks Ryuzaki - you are certainly one of the folks I have learned from around here. See you around!

Stumbled here from FEI's recent post and am excited to learn and help within this community. I'm a professional software developer looking to move to self-employment with a portfolio of web assets. I have 4 kiddos, 8 and under, so it will take some time before I can fully replace my current income and take the leap! I currently have one site that gets me to 1/3 of my goal and am very interested in purchasing another site that is in the $5k/month range.

See you inside...

I currently have one site that gets me to 1/3 of my goal

Very nice, Vince. That's impressive considering the size of your family (and trying to find time away to build that site). You can most certainly achieve your goal, it's just a matter of time and discipline at this point.

Have you considered any subscription-based SaaS's since you have a software dev background?

Hi Guys,
About myself, I have been freelancing as a programmer for about 6 months now. Before that, I had a job which I didn't like much. So I saved some money and took the leap.
I like programming but the uncertainty of gigs worries me. So I am trying to diversify my sources of income.

I did try to start an MFA blog and an Amazon affiliate site two years ago but they didn't work out.
Amazon said it lacked original content and Adsense said something about thin content? I gave up mid way.

Reading the Digital Strategy Crash Course has been an eye opener for me. I'll be starting again and hope it does work out this time.

Hey everyone,
I just came across BuilderSociety, loved what I read and wanted to sign up asap.

I'm a website investor, been buying/building sites (for myself) for about 8 years. I write and teach on the topic. And yet, it is amazing how much I don't know...

Looking forward to hanging out, and grazing on all this wisdom :smile:

Hi Jeff, welcome to BuSo. Nice to have an investor at this place. What kind of sites are you generally buying (content,ecom,software..)? How much has the whole process changed in those 8 years you have been active?

Thanks Ryuzaki!

A SaaS offering would be ideal or even large, enriched sites driven with datasets. I think the barrier to entry is higher and as you note, these types of properties play into my strengths very well. I'm leaning toward the dataset offerings with display ads and here are a couple organizations that do this well:

graphiq.com/vertical-search
k12.niche.com/

I welcome any other input, thoughts or critiques.

-----

Best of luck on your next go around infotech!

Curious to know where you are sourcing your freelancing gigs? Are you doing marketplace gigs or do you have local clients from previous relationships?

-----

Welcom to BuSo Jeff. Be curious to know if you've had any experience raising outside capital for any web properties and if so, how did you structure the deals?

Hello,

I've been working online for 12 years or so, and generally I am a lurker. I came across this forum after seeing a recommendation, and I really like what I see! My main focus is SEO, everything from splogging to clean niche sites. Hopefully I can contribute and get to know some of you - I'm glad to have found an active forum!

Thanks guys!

Welcome Jeff. Looking forward to hearing more about your plans for 2017!
First up in 2017, doing a 3 day workshop on website investing in Dubai. WebsiteInvestingMasterclass.com It will be my first time there, so I'm excited about the trip. I'm going to work on starting a couple of niche sites in the first quarter.

Hi Jeff, welcome to BuSo. Nice to have an investor at this place. What kind of sites are you generally buying (content,ecom,software..)? How much has the whole process changed in those 8 years you have been active?
I think many more people are aware that you can buy into web properties than they were 10 years ago. So prices have gone up. I also think the quality and value of sites have gone up as people are a lot smarter about monetization and are treating sites more like businesses.

Welcom to BuSo Jeff. Be curious to know if you've had any experience raising outside capital for any web properties and if so, how did you structure the deals?
I get offers pretty often but have always used my own resources thus far. It's one thing to have responsibility for your own money and another thing to manage someone else's. There are several groups now who gather investors to buy into "fund" like structures. WiredInvestors is one, Webfolio is another. They have both been successful thus far, and remains to be seen how well they can scale up. I helped source deals for CloudIncomeProperties for a while, but parted ways.

Amazon said it lacked original content and Adsense said something about thin content? I gave up mid way.

When either one of them say these things, it's usually code for "Most of your posts are review posts or are crammed with too many affiliate links, and you aren't nofollow-ing them, etc."

Welcome to the forum! You can definitely get a steady stream of cash from an MFA site, but it needs to appear like an authority site in terms of content and the links it gains before you go too hard with the affiliate links.

-----

Hey, rednax, thanks for joining. You just dropped a new term on me! What is splogging? Spam-Blogging? What does that entail?
726 x 100
-----

Welcome aboard, Jeff. I'm glad you've joined. Seems like you have a lot you can teach us. We'll do our best to return the favor. A member of Wired Investors is actually a very active member here. You guys can probably share tips amongst each other and both come out on top. Catch you around the forum!

Curious to know where you are sourcing your freelancing gigs? Are you doing marketplace gigs or do you have local clients from previous relationships?
Yeah, it's mostly marketplace gigs , with few previous contractors hiring me privately.

When either one of them say these things, it's usually code for "Most of your posts are review posts or are crammed with too many affiliate links, and you aren't nofollow-ing them, etc."

Welcome to the forum! You can definitely get a steady stream of cash from an MFA site, but it needs to appear like an authority site in terms of content and the links it gains before you go too hard with the affiliate links.
Those sites failed, but still have been a good learning experience for me. They had been inspired by blogs you see when you google "how to earn money online". Those self-proclaimed guru's claim it's very easy and quick.
This forum, however, why didn't I found about it earlier. :mad:

Hello everyone,

I heard this was the place to be?

I'm an affiliate marketer for about 5 years full time, [redacted], looking to get back in, but with different methods this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was you your experience living in [redacted] like? What income level did you live on? Frustrations? Thinking about making that my next destination

Just thought I'd say hi,

Been on the out skirts of IM for a long while, I was looking for an old post by CCarter on wickedfire and my searching took me here.

I have a subversive mindset so have had plenty of ideas to create web bots I just have not bothered to learn to code them yet. I've written some casper scripts in the past for simple automation but i want to raise my game a lot over the next few months.

So my plan is simple spend the next month getting a proper understanding of javascript, jquery and json via a code academy pro account and some udemy javascript courses off the pirate bay. I also plan to learn enough python to get me started and then just write bots!

Plan is to do a day by day diary on the laboratory and to post the majority of my code (which hopefully will be casperjs based bots) so that people can look comment and criticize.

Ideally i want to get to the stage in 6 months or so that i can write bots in under a week which make £10 or more per day in affiliate revenue for very limited input. But to get to that stage will be a big learning curve i suspect!

Welcome aboard. I've wanted to write bots and SaaS's and all that but never have the right ideas. Are you talking about things like forum posting and social media spamming? That's where my mind goes when I think about bots, and I'm not interested in spamming. Got that out of my system years ago with off the shelf bots.

hi ryuzaki exactly that,
forum posting,
social media posting / questioning / commenting
comment and chat bots on free dating sites promoting hookup sites etc etc

What was you your experience living in [redacted] like? What income level did you live on? Frustrations? Thinking about making that my next destination

My short answer: If you have been thinking about going, then go, you won't regret it.

I lived on around 4-6K USD a month, sometimes more, less in the beginning. Which is a very comfortable life, though some imports are expensive.

[redacted] is great, was there already more than 10 years ago for the first time, it has changed a lot since then, much easier to live there now with the internet. Almost [redacted] standards for everything now. It's a comfortable life, a much slower lifestyle, Thais are great people, very easygoing and quick to laughter. Always something to do, nightlife every night if you want, easy to meet women, if you're looking for that. Great opportunity for travel in the region or just within the country.

Annoyances, heat, pollution, traffic (very bad), lack of intellectual stimulation, language hard to learn, . I usually say, there are a lot of everyday small annoyances, where as there few everyday annoyances in [redacted], but those annoyances which exist are massive (tax, politics, feminism, crime).

Hey folks, happy new year to all of you. I hope this is the year when you finally move out of your comfort zone and execute on those ideas you've always had.

I should have introduced myself a year ago when I signed up. But you know, life happens. We get busy.

Anyway, I'm planning to be more active on the forum this year. A little bit about me: I'm a part time affiliate marketer (niche sites mostly) and a freelance writer (need to pay the bills). I plan to quit writing this year and be a fulltime affiliate marketer.

I have had some few success in the past (nothing over 1K p/m yet) but I it's been an on and off thing. This year, I want to change strategy and commit to my projects to take them to 1K p/m on autopilot.

I will be keeping a daily journal of the activities I will be doing on the project I have at the Lab. If anyone here would like to go head-to-head on a daily accountability journal, would love to connect.

Cheers everyone!

but I it's been an on and off thing. This year, I want to change strategy and commit to my projects

That's all it is. Either you keep chugging over the initial ramp up period and win, or you peter out before that point. After the first $1k a month it's nothing to go to $2k and on up. All of the difficulty for affiliate/SEO projects is in the starting periods (by design by Google to keep spammers disheartened).

You can do it if you're willing to put in the sustained effort over a longer period of time than is comfortable.

Welcome. You've found the right place (a year ago)!

Sup. I am glad I found this recently and been closely going through the crash course.

About me. I work as a web developer by day and going to be building around that. And eventually quitting to travel.

Sounds like you're going to be on easy street. Being a web dev is going to be a huge advantage and money saver, and keep you from using cruddy themes and whatnot. Have you previously
worked on any of your own projects before?

Nothing with financial gain in mind. I have built stuff for fun mostly.

Back