Introductions Thread

Thanks for the advice and the link to the post. You've definitely got me thinking about some things I hadn't considered before (what I would give up). Many times I feel like i'm not sure where to start, so I draft ideas what site to build or how I would work it. More times than not I end up second guessing the initial analysis and go back to the drawing board to find something better. I want to help focus my energy to put it into the right areas to grow, and not simply exert energy. That's a big reason why I found (and joined) this forum is to learn how to break old habits.

There is always going to be doubt and fear of failure. A prime ingredient of success is failure. But with each failure you'll know what to look for next time. It's like when you learned to walk or ride a bicycle. When you were young you used to do a lot of things that were fearful, but you just "did it". You fell several times when learning to walk and ride a bicycle, but eventually got the hang of it and now you can walk down the street in confidence you aren't going to trip over your own feet.

"It may seem difficult at first, but all things are difficult at first." - Miyamoto Musashi (The Book of Five Rings)​

That "going through the fear" even in the mist of it is what leads to greatness, and you do have it, cause you are able to walk and ride a bike. Every project, business, and endeavor I had some doubts on whether it would work, even in the middle of the success I still wonder, is tomorrow this all going to fall apart? I don't use that pessimism to debilitate myself from succeeding, I use that pessimism as a reason to work a bit extra harder, check all the settings one last time, triple check operations and keep my finger on the pulse at every level. I'll think of new ways and faster ways to improve the process, the interface. I'll think of new video ideas that will catch user's attention a bit more, give it a unique angle, constantly test, cause in my mind, right behind me the ground is imploding, so I have to keep moving forward.

I can't rely on the success of what I did last year, last month, or last week to keep me in business tomorrow, next month, or next year. I'm playing a game of mirrors where I'm fighting my past success with new challenges to keep me moving forward and surviving the landscape, cause the internet is constantly changing. One day I'll be defeated - on the day I let the pessimism take over completely and turn my energy into inaction. Just not today.

What you have to do is just go with an idea, one that you are passionate about and would have no problem working on even if you made no money for a while. Just say "fuck it!" and do it. Cause when it's late at night on a Saturday and 3 of your servers go offline and your customers start bitching, if you aren't passionate about what you do it's going to take a lot of will to fix the problem. This path is lonely and harsh when starting out, but if you keep at it, and survived to the other side, you'll experience something that I can only describe as being "full-ly YOU".

@CCarter I spent some time digesting and thinking about what you said here. You're right. There's a bunch of things I can cut out if I want to make this work and dictate my own direction. There are also a ton of excuses and time sucks like reading what other people have done (or simply thought of) instead of doing. A lot of people give "advice" but it's mostly something along the lines of, "you need to do X, Y, and Z to increase traffic/ranking/revenue" instead of, "I've done X, Y, and Z to increase traffic/ranking/revenue."

You struck a chord. Less thinking and more doing. I see what you're saying, and I think I'm going to like it here.

giphy.gif

A guy takes a short hiatus from internet marketing to start a business, comes back to find wickedfire has self destructed and now you have this - BuilderSociety... Good fucking God, best thing that ever happened.

Cancelled premium over there as of this week, fuck that shit. This place is beast mode.

Props to CCarter and clan who're working to make this place what it is. I may/may not post a follow along, I'm going to be applying a lot of the techniques here with my own ideas to up our online presence this year. Elated to have this resource, hats off to all the sexy contributors for taking the time to put this together.

200.gif

Maybe I'll add a bit of cred: I'm part owner of an exotic dealership and a general market dealership. We're coming up on our first full year of existence (lots learned) with our new spot opening soon, but tons of potential within this vertical. My pillar in the business is online and thanks to BuSo we'll succeed.

Last edited:
I hope you're stocking Aventadors, cause I'll holler at you when I'm ready.

Hey guys,
I just wanted to briefly introduce myself and say that I'm glad to be apart of this forum. I've been a lurker for awhile now and I think it's time that I finally introduce myself.

I'm young but I've been doing online marketing for around 7 years. I'm currently finishing up my last year in college with a degree in computer science. I look forward to contributing and networking with all of you.

Welcome to BuSo! I noticed you're studying CS. I've always felt that strong tech knowledge mixed with strong marketing knowledge was a winning combo. Looking forward to hearing about your projects and seeing you around!

Hello everyone.

Been stalking the shit out of this place for months and finally registered an account a few weeks back.

After making it through the first several days here of the crash course I figured it's time to finally do my part and get active. With the amount of talent being spewed all over my god damned face every time I end up here - I'm ready to assimilate.

So about me. dresden. New nick, old marketer. I've seen a lot of you around the other internet marketing forums over the years. I've been at this shit since ~2002. It's all I've ever known. I've ran tens of thousands of sites, overseen SEO on some of the largest (and oldest) properties on the web, developed mobile apps and sold ebooks... I've called myself a lot of things over the years. SEO, spammer, developer, entrepreneur, media buyer. Now I call myself a builder. Made stacks of cash, lost stacks of cash, spent stacks of cash. Missed out on larger stacks of cash. Kept a few stacks of cash. The whole thing.

What draws me to this place is the execution. I've been following @CCarter and a lot of you guys around the net, watching your projects unfold and taking note for years now. What's being written in the crash course is just the tip of the iceberg. I've watched it all unfold in realtime. The real life execution that so many lack - you've got it here. Let's get started.

Good luck dresden. Did you flip sites in the financial niche multiple times? If so, I am sure that experience will be valuable here.

Update

Have been getting used to the UpWork platform, and things are great, got two clients, one for long term work and another for a smaller period. One of the clients, from which I stopped working, gave me this :
WCt4U1V.png
He was so happy with my work that he decide to pay double rate, and give another 5 star rating when finished. In about another months time I will be making a wage, which is normal in my country by working 20 hours a week, so that means I will have time left to work on my own projects, which I'm getting a good idea of what I want, thanks to the crash course.

At least I will have some money to get a domain and hosting, and content, which is great. Can't wait to start the Journey, which will also be a great start for the Year 2016.

Thanks all the members who gave me a kick in the ass, to get a regular job @CCarter @Ryuzaki @Calamari @learningcurve

@SmokeTree Thank you for the welcome, I appreciate it. I agree, having a tech background is definitely helpful in this industry. I noticed you're involved with a lot of tech yourself. I enjoyed the Linux therapy post you made awhile back. I'll definitely be around and I'm eager to get involved.

What's being written in the crash course is just the tip of the iceberg. I've watched it all unfold in realtime. The real life execution that so many lack - you've got it here.

4135303_f260.jpg

Thanks for a proper introduction! Glad to have another veteran on board. See you around the forums.

Thanks guys.

@builder - not really, no.

As someone who learned to code a few years into my career, being able to build my own stuff exactly how I want is cooler than the other side of the pillow.

What's your stack of choice?

What's your stack of choice?
Mostly Ruby on Rails. Was working with Ruby before Rails came out and it has been good to me. Built tons of sites/apps with it. Redis also has to be in the mix as well.

Well, I have been lurking here for a while. The BuSo 30 Day Digital Strategy Course has motivated me to become active on the forum and start a follow-along.

About me:

Graduated from college with an accounting degree -- hated accounting. I worked in the hospitality consulting industry for three years and one day just said "fuck it" and quite my job. I traveled a bit in SE Asia and decided I wanted to pursue a career in digital marketing.

One year ago I took an entry level job as a link builder with a digital marketing agency. Eventually learned PPC & some small scale media buying. Needless to say I feel like there are some huge gaps in my SEO knowledge base and feel very fortunate to be a part of this community. The release of the Digital Strategy Crash Course is perfect timing for me because I am building my own informational/Amazon eCommerce store.

I look forward to working with everyone in the BuSo community.

Welcome to the community. I take it you are a fan of the Dresden Files?

Some of you may remember me. I was a member a member over at Wickedfire for years (in fact I designed the site header). That was until they banned me for making a comment about charging for content members contributed for free. Anyway. Nice to see some old faces and a refreshing change of scenery. Peace.

Hi builders,

Great to be here. I'm a lurker who knew who @CCarter was (obviously) but hadn't participated. You all get the dubious honor of being told to think more by me in the Outreach portion of the latest course. I really went all out on that to share some knowledge from years of building links for huge client campaigns, big brands and 'men's health' drugs alike. If you can print links like they're going out of fashion in those niches, hopefully it'll give you all the confidence to go make bank on it for real on your projects.

Once the article is up in a few days I'll be happy to answer any questions you guys have about outreach, and in the mean time if you want to hit me up with any other questions please feel free. Looking forward to being part of the community.

Cheers,
Steve

Have been lurking for the last few months.

The Digital Strategy Crash Course started hitting my email and got my attention.

Have been interested this space for a while but have never taken action.

That's about to change!

Hi all,
Not sure why I can't post in other sub-boards, so I'm guessing its a post count threshold or something.
I'm here because I am becoming a builder (currently working on some software projects).
Joe

Not sure why I can't post in other sub-boards, so I'm guessing its a post count threshold or something.

it is indeed that I also belive there is a number of likes to achive, can't remember the exact number though

Glad to hear the DSCC grabbed your attention and is appreciated. We worked hard on it and you joining and being active is the biggest thank you we could receive :smile: Glad to see your posts around. I hope we can share some knowledge back and forth and all up our game from it.

The homepage lists a notification when you join that tells you that you can only post in the Orientation room until you've achieved 3 posts and 3 likes. Then it disappears and your limitation goes away. Thanks for joining. I hope you are the next Bill Gates!

What are you currently working on, or planning on?

You can call me Abdul

From Nigeria (Don't Worry I Wont Scam You), found this forum a bit earlier and have been a lurker ever since but decided to say hi recently so i can get the chance to leech even deeper contents, will probably give back sometime soon.

my goals are simple

- grow to be the best marketer around for the heck of it
- make a massive amount of $$$

No my name is not Abdul, just thought it was cool...

cZFSwEJ.jpg

A bit into everything for now, not a religious fan of SEO or Paid Traffic, just a means to an end...

By the way when Nigerian Prince contacts you here for marketing strategies, you better do your best to help for the safety of your bank account!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back