Youtube as an Online Asset!

Degree
Hey everybody! This is Maha @ FringeBingeTV! This is my first time being part of an online community forum, and I'm pretty excited to share my small success on YT! It's obviously still growing, and I'm having a blast seeing the results daily!
Any other Youtubers can introduce themselves here, and let's share some knowledge!

Maha

Ooooh. I'm interested in this. I want to create a REAL youtube channel. Not the stuff you see on other forums where people are spamming videos up for traffic.

Are you a spammer or are you building an honest channel?

Once I know the answer to that, I can ask the proper questions either way, because I'll leverage it either way. But I really want to try to make a legit channel.

Everyone always talks about how to rank a video in Google, because they obviously favor their own property and give it boosts. People funnel traffic from google to youtube and then on to their own sites. And we know how this works. Basically backlinks.

But how do you rank within Youtube itself?

Everyone always talks about how to rank a video in Google, because they obviously favor their own property and give it boosts.

Is that obvious, or just speculation? I mean, you could say "Well look at how much Youtube stuff ranks at the top." but that could also be due to the massive authority of the domain. Just because Youtube ranks, it doesn't mean it's getting special treatment. I don't know how you can call something "obvious" that obviously seems nearly impossible to measure.

I NEED TO SEE THE DOCUMENTS!!! I DEMAND DISCLOSURE!!!

lol

Nah I want to start a channel tho.

FringeBinge, you got any advice for me?

Rule #1 of Youtube Club: Never talk about Youtube
I'm about to break the rule.

There is so much money flowing through there if you go the traditional route of building up a real channel with a real subscription base. What we'd typically call White Hat, but on Youtube. Lots of people earning a full-time income, working full time, and many getting beyond wealthy.

Look at the top 100 channels here, and their total views: http://socialblade.com/youtube/top/100/mostviewed

At minimal, they are pulling down $2 CPM's. If they are selling their own products as well... then increase that in a big way. But just based on $2 CPMs, the top channel has...

6,452,778,948 / 1000 * $2 = $12,905,557.90

Just on CPMs.

^ You're more likely to win the lottery than to have the number 1 Youtube channel, but I see what you're getting at. There's a lot of money up for grabs even for smaller channels. Let's hope our boy FringeBingeTV can be the next one to crack that elusive top 100 list!!

Hey guys! Thanks for responding to my thread! I play my game the way that Ryuzaki describes.... WHITE HAT TO THE HILT!!! I want some real estate that will continue to function properly through any Google updates that may occur!
That's why I work my channel in an honest way. NO SPAMMING!

I also attempt to cover every topic relevant to my niche so i can gain channel authority across many topics.

As for my ranking on YT, I don't know! I am just wrapping up my first year in the game, and I am still learning all the tricks of the trade. I'll discover the answer and hit you back soon!

Maha

Are you doing any keyword research and using those keywords in your title, description, closed captions, and tags? (hint hint)

Yes, I am doing some keyword research, but my idea is to cover many topics. Even if they don't "go viral," they still add authority to my channel! But, yes, I use my keys in all the appropriate places.
It also appears that FringeBingeTV has hit what I'm considering Tier 2. It took a solid year to get to this point, but things are taking off!

Yes, I am doing some keyword research, but my idea is to cover many topics. Even if they don't "go viral," they still add authority to my channel! But, yes, I use my keys in all the appropriate places.
It also appears that FringeBingeTV has hit what I'm considering Tier 2. It took a solid year to get to this point, but things are taking off!

What certain criteria were you aiming for to consider it tier 2? x amount of daily views, x amount of videos, was there anything in particular that you had in mind for goals like "Okay, once I get X then I'll be at the next level..." or is it more abstract than that?

Question for anyone who does videos (Especially OP)

Any tips for getting "source" material? Good resources to find pre-made cut-scenes and effects and transitions and all that? Are people generally making those from scratch or using software that has them built in? I'm going to start making video versions of my most popular articles to capitalize on them as much as possible and to bring in new traffic.

Problem is I'm not a video expert by a long stretch so I'm starting from basically 0 but I do own the Adobe suite so... I guess step 1 is to find some good tutorials. Maybe I should journal the experience?

Deckard,
My criteria for numbering tiers is my payout on adsense. Although there are many statistics that are involved, I believe that the honest truth of how well a channel performs is by how much monetization occurs.
All other topics, such as subscribers, comments, views, shares, and the such, are all funneled into monetization, in my current method of attack! Quality is key, though, always!

Napolean,
I use iMovie. It comes prebuilt with all of the transitions and effects you need. I realize that other programs offer other choices, but iMovie has been my mainstay since the get go. It's the GarageBand of movie making! All the stuff you need and it's easy to manipulate.
Great idea on a journal, especially if it can be a video journal! It all depends on what your channel topic is.

To answer your first question: My first stop is always Wikipedia! Find all possible related articles and open each picture. This is how I find PUBLIC DOMAIN material. I don't ever have to worry about being flagged for false monetization, and I can save the material in organized folders for future worry free projects!

Maha

Here is another great tip that I've learned in my first complete YT year: Consistency!
Of course this applies to publishing videos, but I'm talking about CREATING videos. When building your channel, find a style that suits you, and continue to follow it while making minor changes as you learn more.
I do this to create "branding" on my channel. My subscribers know what style to expect, and any new visitors will find my same methods across all of my videos.
If you didn't do this, it would be like watching your favorite sitcom, but the director and actors change every episode. You don't want that, umkay?

Don't forget attractive thumbnails! They drive CTR alot. 90% of the time when I click on a random video in my sidebar, it's either because of an awesome title, or a nice thumbnail. Cute animals and hot girls always work lol. But otherwise, just something well thought-out/designed and colorful. Using a screenshot from your actual video as the thumbnail is a thing of the past.

I saw this infographic today and remembered this thread from way back. Someone broke down the entirely of youtube seo in an easy to understand manner

PZ2kndO.png

Let me ask about monetization, do you and if so at what point in the last year did you begin making a sustainable income to support yourself?

Don't forget attractive thumbnails! They drive CTR alot. 90% of the time when I click on a random video in my sidebar, it's either because of an awesome title, or a nice thumbnail. Cute animals and hot girls always work lol. But otherwise, just something well thought-out/designed and colorful. Using a screenshot from your actual video as the thumbnail is a thing of the past.

I've had luck with placing a nice thick yellow border around the thumbnail also.

Back