Working with linux server on every computer

Degree
Hello guys,

I am mainly using my work computer to push my website further. However, as I am not administrator I do not have all the rights I wish to have. Hence, ports are closed and I do not have the right to use remote desktop to connect to another machine. I mainly work with portable apps like putty and can connect them outside of my company network, using a hotspot on my smartphone.

Putty is a simple terminal system, which does not work with all SEO tools well. I am looking for a solution to connect via vnc/xrdp(simply a GUI) to my server.

Is there any good online solution to see my server screen via a website? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your answers!

I think you are confused. Your server is not running a graphical gui (unless its a Windows server). The only way to connect to your server is via ssh (or ftp if you have it set up).

On Windows, Putty is one of the best way to connect to your server. There are other options but probably the easiest for what you need to do.

That being said, seems like you can't actually open the ports you need to connect over ssh, but you can probably get around this. Do you have access to the internet? Then you could tunnel your ssh connection over an https proxy.

You need to obtain access to a proxy and then follow this guide (might not totally be up to date but should give you the jist and best I can find on short notice). Also search Google for: Putty HTTP proxy to ssh. Or something similar.

@Rageix Thx for your reply!

I want to run SEO Toolbox(Link Assistant), which needs a graphical output.

I can connect over ssh(putty), but I cannot use vnc or xrdp as they are not allowed.

I was thinking to simply use a webinterface to get graphical output from my server, but haven`t yet found a server yet.

Any suggestions?

I see.
Is the VNC or XRDP blocked outgoing on your end? Or is it blocked on your target server?

If it's block on your target server, sounds like it isn't set up. Sounds like what you would want to do is set up a gui on your server, then set up vnc server. This is not exactly a walk in the park and depends what linux distro you are working on and what gui you want kind of desktop gui you want to use.

Here is an example for setting it up on Ubuntu 16.04, but of course Google around for your distro.

If you are in a situation where you are behind a firewall with ingress/egress filtering, keep in mind that you could possibly run VNC and the like on port 80 as long as you're not running a webserver. That way the firewall would allow the outgoing TCP 80 through in many cases, unless it's filtering by the actual protocol over TCP (looking for VNC stuff). You'll need root access on the server to open any port <= 1024. Hope this helps.

Back