Wordpress 5.0 & Gutenberg is here + Classic Editor Plugin already doomed...

I'm making a reusable block with a grouping, but when I select a list, I get "no block selected" in the sidebar. Weird.

That's because reusable blocks aren't meant to become individual blocks later. It's set up so that if you change the core grouping, they change across all pages.

An example would be having an email opt-in block. If you wanted to change the phrasing on that block, you do it once and then that cascades across all pages, so you don't have to change it a million times.

Ok, so how do I make templates for post sections then?

Ok, so how do I make templates for post sections then?

This is a future feature they're going to roll out. I think there is already an "unofficial" way to make a post or post-type load up with a series of blank blocks to save you time rebuilding them over and over, but I never dug into it because it's not the official way. Let me find an example.

I like this guy Bill Erickson. Here's him giving the run down on Reusable Blocks just to give you more context on those. And here's some talk and examples on Block Templates. Apparently these are implemented but not like they need to be yet. They're stuck to post-types thus far, which I don't use at all. Soon it'll be more like custom page templates as they are now, I think.

Hmm..ok.

I suppose it's not a deal breaker for most post type content.

I've decided to stick with Elementor for this site. Not for every post, I will do simpler articles, such as info stuff in Gutenberg, but I need Elementor for front page and post that have more advanced content, such as dynamic content.

Back