Wordpress 4.4 coming on December 8

qwianghomingh

cd mind && rm -rf --no-preserve-root /
Degree
https://wordpress.org/news/2015/10/wordpress-4-4-beta-1/

Latest beta post
https://wordpress.org/news/2015/11/wordpress-4-4-beta-4/

Main changes:
  • Twenty Sixteen — The newest default theme for WordPress.
  • Responsive Images — WordPress automatically delivers a more appropriate image to users depending on a variety of conditions like screen size, viewport size, and screen resolution.
  • Embeds — WordPress can now embed rich content from nearly all sites that support the oEmbed standard — not just YouTube, Flickr, Twitter, and the like. You can even embed previews of posts from other WordPress sites by pasting the URL on its own line.
There have been a lot of changes for developers to play with as well:

• REST API (phase 1) — The underlying infrastructure of the WordPress REST API plugin has been included in WordPress 4.4. Plugin authors can take advantage of this by adding custom endpoints.
  • Term Metadata — Taxonomy term metadata is now included in WordPress 4.4. If you’ve already been using a plugin to implement term metadata, you should read this post on how to prepare. Also, the underlying WP_Term class improves caching when working with terms. (#14162)
  • Improved <title> output — wp_title() is now deprecated; WordPress can handle the rendering of the document title automatically.
  • Comments — Comment queries are now split for performance. Also, the underlying WP_Comment class improves caching and introduces strong-typing. (#8071, #32619)
I wonder their new wannabe implementation of responsive images won't screw up my css of image sizing, because I think I've done a pretty good job on buso for my own use.

More embeds seems like more bloat to me.

I've got no comments on 2016 theme, but my go to theme is my customized version of buso light.

I don't even want it.

Get that bloat away from me.

If it wasn't for security changes I'd never update.

Some point I'd love to hire a dev and completely delete all the extra stuff from the code. Remove updates, smilies, trackbacks, comments, any WP branding, etc.

The responsive image code they are making core has a huge potential to break things that are already in place AND be replaced in the next couple of years. Hopefully it's set up in a manner that has to be enabled.

I can already see where it's going. They are going to use the core to create several smaller versions of your large images in order to serve those smaller ones on mobile or tablet. Take this, on top of themes already generated 3 sizes and up to 10 sizes, and you're talking about some massive server bloat. I'd be celebrating if I rented servers, because I'll be selling hard drive space like mad.

The REST API is nice. We'll get more than just header and footer points to insert code. Plugins could become more advanced.

Adding metadata to taxonomy terms is something I've created myself using custom loops. It's advanced stuff. 99% of their users aren't going to use this at all. This is definitely a great example of bloat. Just stuffing the database full of crap. More tables, more columns.

I can't say I'm thrilled.

I'd LOVE to use an old stable version of Wordpress and never update, but plugins are going to constantly update and deprecate older versions.

I'm about 99% sure my next big site (if there ever is one) won't be using Wordpress. I can have a database and a PHP framework without all this extra crap. There's tons of options, as far as building your own with something like Laravel.

Remove smilies

I found a couple of solutions for this a while back:
https://www.buildersociety.com/thre...wordpress-now-adding-some-files-globally.879/

Removing trackbacks and comments are easy also. If you're not calling those functions, they won't really get in your way. I mean, yes, it's bloat, but it won't affect site performance. The smilies 100% do though. There are also lots of functions out there to remove the WP branding, but you'll never kill the footprint, unfortunately.

They laughed at him when he started moving his systems to flat-file after warning everyone Wordpress was becoming bloatware. What Wordpress did after they heard what he said will shock you!

NUZJ4sX.gif

Good luck with that bros...

Yeah, there is my one big project that has been on hold because shit keeps blowing up around me...

Moving that shit to a complete custom platform during the next months because you CAN do it with wordpress, but it just stands in your way on every turn.

But that's not my first time doing this. I got clients' sites on custom platforms or WolfCMS (nice and hacky, tho not flat file).

Simply because WP sucks as soon as you need to really customize shit.

And while it is lauded for the "easy to use editing interface" - try giving it to a non-tech client.
/rant

::emp::

I just built a site on Ghost and I like it so far, need to test Pico out as well. The agency I work for has an extreme boner for Wordpress so I am stuck for the time being :(

I've been playing around with Grav as well. Very confusing at the beginning but so far so good

Back