Wirecutter relaunches with new design and layout

Very interesting that they haven't dropped the 'the' or merged with TheSweetHome yet. I imagine they are going to do it in stages over the next couple weeks.

Regarding the design, I think they've made a mistake, but then again they've probably spent a lot of cash to test and come up with it.

The reason I think it's a mistake is because it looks like every other affiliate site I've ever seen. Rather than being a unique design that stood out, it could have been build with Genesis or a Thrive theme.

This is a great opportunity for any website using affiliate links to learn from a big player. Keep a super close eye on the comments to see the response to the new design, watch for how Google responds to the inevitable mass 301 and how NYT starts to scale the content production and marketing.

scqHOkG.png

Note: The above image is a screenshot of their footer. This gives you a very good idea of what categories they are expanding into next i.e. if you work in these spaces keep an eye out.

Prediction: big brand is going to do big brand things and then wonder why their investment isn't performing the way they expected.

"The new site is the result of months of research, design, coding, and—critically—dozens of conversations with readers"

Damn I hope they mean testing and not polling and random coding.

More conversation on the topic before the redesign: TheWireCutter to absorb TheSweetHome

I see they went HTTPS now.

Yeah that redesign is... not anything I like. Their previous design had a very cozy, familiar, trusting, normal-person feel. This new one feels like an electronics site, cold, distant, uncaring. I never checked to see if they had a mobile version, but the previous design wasn't responsive. So at least they got that fixed, but the previous design was very superior. I bet people 'trust' this one a lot less.

Not a fan of the redesign

The redesign looks like it will be faster (and cheaper) to format an article.
That and HIPPO (highest paid person’s opinion) which is how a lot of big players operate.

Checked it and see what you guys mean. New design is clean, I like that, but yeah, it definitely looks like a generic template that feels cold. Not sure how everyday users will view it, but my first impression...I wouldn't trust it as much as before because I'd question whether it's just another shitty affiliate site. But again, the average consumer may not know the difference and the cleaner look may help them find the info they need better.

I liked the old logo better, it actually looked like wires cut with wire cutters, new one is just bland. Review pages look kind of cool, but it does look more like every other big site. Overall still high quality design, does not make you doubt the site's authority of the site, looks well optimized.

More conversation on the topic before the redesign: TheWireCutter to absorb TheSweetHome

I see they went HTTPS now.

Yeah that redesign is... not anything I like. Their previous design had a very cozy, familiar, trusting, normal-person feel. This new one feels like an electronics site, cold, distant, uncaring. I never checked to see if they had a mobile version, but the previous design wasn't responsive. So at least they got that fixed, but the previous design was very superior. I bet people 'trust' this one a lot less.

Seems insane for such a massive site that brings in so much money to finally make the transition to a responsive design now.

Not a fan of the new logo, preferred their original.

This redesign has exposed the site for what it really is... A massive money grab with nothing but "The Best XXXX" articles. The old design at least masked that and felt more like a "Better Home & Gardens" friendly print magazine than some random electronic Wordpress theme.

Visually, they just went from professional to amateur.

I don't think they've made a mistake at all.

Their rapid expansion from here will bring in a wealth of new visitors who weren't tied to the old look. Maintaining the content quality will keep the returning users around. A few regulars might jump ship because they don't like the new design, but it will pale in comparison to their growth plans.

Plus, having 'A New York Times Company' under the logo automatically skyrockets brand trust.

They will surely be looking closely at the data, testing, and ensuring the new site performs better than the old in terms of navigation and conversion. As long as they can hit their targets, it is all gravy.

Looks like complete shit...

@Futurestate is spot on. Went from a big brand magazine feel to a desperate affiliate pumping out "best" only article spam.

Jesus, looks like total shit. But it doesn't really matter, that site is a money tree.

....if you think about it, I bet their ctr is up because it's more streamlined below the fold, less to do when skimming. (I'd be curious to see a heatmap history on this hawg)

@Future State was on the money. I mean, I know their game, I know what they're about. Though, with the old design, I could glance at their content, maybe read a bit, and still fall into "consumer" mindset a bit.

With this new design, almost immediately in my mind I'm thinking, "Why even look at this? This doesn't look trustworthy. Why would I bother reading this affiliate stuff? What makes this writer an expert?" :wink:

Back