Wine for Date Night

GNews

White Hat Genius
BuSo Pro
Degree
Been experimenting with wine the last year and a half, here and there.

It first started when I came through a Spain airport and bought a Portugal wine as a gift. After i shared a bit of the gift, i was so surprised at the rich flavor, I wanted to learn more. Started cooking with Pinot Grigios and another brand, which i forget, with spaghetti.

Recently I bought a local Port Wine, and it smells way too 'alcohol rich,' so Im assuming it's an out of date dud. However, my dates have liked it. For me I've been really trying to learn it all.

Some questions I'd like to hear opinions on:
1) Do you chill your wines before serving?
2) How do you chill yours (in what, lengtj of time, etc)?
3) What wines have women given (or if you're a woman) you the most compliments on?
4) What is your own personal favorite brands ?

Hope to hear you guys chime in.

Here's a good tutorial on tasting/reviewing wine:
https://www.winemag.com/2015/08/25/how-to-taste-wine/

Took my Somm certification a few years back. Heres some suggestions

1 + 2. Part of experiencing wine is using all of your senses to appreciate your pour. That includes smell. Chilling wine subdues its bouquet and so you wont often find wines chilled below cellar temp. Even whites and rose wines.

3. Since wine is subjective I usually entertain guests with a four glass flight - a super floral fruit forward white (pinot gris), a buttery and oaky Chardonnay, a big bold red (Barolo-esque) and a more interesting blend like a Chataneuf du Pape. This gives my guest the opportunity to let me know what they prefer while exploring something new with me. If you are eating and drinking together you can really have fun. Rich creamy dishes with a bone dry Falanghina or ice cream and muscat are my go to pairings.

My personal favorites are Catalan Priorats (Elix esp) but I like big bold reds. I like subtle whites like gerwurztraminers too. And GSP blend chataneuf du pape if im drinking French.

I have no opinion on 1+2.

I've noticed women seem to prefer white wines more than men.

I personally prefer "bold", fruitier, wines like Asad would describe them. Amarone is probably my favorite, but also Barbaresco.

Zinfandel from California also has a lot of the same fruity, bold tast, but less dry. I personally do not enjoy that as much, but I could imagine this combination of high alchohol with a smooth, fruity taste, without bitterness would appeal to many women.

Give it a try!

Something i noticed last night. My porto had a heavy alcohol smell until I chilled it.

@Asad does this mean it's cheap? And does good wine really sparkle in the light? an ocean in the sunlight sparkle or what?

Back