Will switching to nginx effect Wordpress plugins?

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
Was playing around with nginx and it seems to be a lot faster than my current set up.

Will switching effect the Wordpress plugins I have installed?

Only plugin I really rely on is Really Simple SSL and I know nginx doesn’t use .htaccess?

Do you use any caching plugins? You might have to tweak them a bit.
Sometime ago I was switching from shared host( Apache) to a VPS(nginx).
W3 total cache was the only plugin that gave me issues.

Do you use any caching plugins? You might have to tweak them a bit.
Sometime ago I was switching from shared host( Apache) to a VPS(nginx).
W3 total cache was the only plugin that gave me issues.
That’s exactly what I’m doing, moving from shared to DO. Only caching I use is litespeed cache at the moment.

Usually use wp super cache and autoptimize.

What issues did you have?

JS & CSS concatenation/minification. All requests to minified files were getting 404ed. w3 total cache needs to create special folders to serve those files. I guess it was some sort of folder/user permission error that I couln't fix.

Check out easyengine.io if you are switching to nginx
I swear by it!!

no issues just that the url structure could be potentially messed up, you might want to throw in varnish & memcache

I'd recommend checking over your nginx.conf, or else any individual site conf file you might create in /etc/nginx/sites-available/ (that's the typical location usually). With nginx, these are some of the key areas you might see problems:
  • Redirect handling
    • May need to account for certain URL paths, directories, etc.
    • May need to switch default redirects to 301
  • Caching and filetypes
    • Some filetypes may not be accounted for, so the server may not be taking advantage of caching them
    • May need to mod cache control headers for better performance
  • SSL handling
    • You'll usually need to point to the directories where your certs are (public/private keys)
    • There will be specific details that may need to be configured, like protocols you want to support, ciphers to use, etc.
Beyond that, another thing that'll create issues sometimes is file and directory permissions as well as the owner and group of them. Some of the common issues I see is the directory a caching plugin uses having the wrong owner or group, and/or the wrong permissions.

For example, the WP instance might be using "www-data" as the owner/group. Now imagine in the terminal you manually create the folder for caching, but by default the permissions and ownership for it were set based on your user. In the terminal, if you run "ls -la" it'll show you all of these details about the directories and files. In a case like that, when trying to tweak settings within your WP dashboard, the "www-data" user is effectively trying to write or make changes to files in that directory, but might not have the right permissions.

The solution here is usually to run a recursive "chmod" command with different flags, to change permissions and owners on files or directories. You can even take this a step further and use a chmod flag (usually some form of "chmod g+s") that will cause future subdirectories and files to inherit the owner, group, and permissions. That way you don't have to keep resetting them.

Let us know if you run into any specific issues, so we can drill down into them with more specific recommendations.

Back