Why is this low quality content site making $2k a month?

bongga

BuSo Pro
Degree
Hello everyone. This is my first post ever - after being a lurker-member for 5+ years.

This site was highlighted by James Camp (content site Twitter guru). I am pretty neutral on James.

He found a website for sale on motioninvest: [removed by request of owner]

It's making $2,000 a month.

• how is an ugly wp site making $2,000 a month, that's less than a year old?
  • how this guy managed to get with mediavine to monetize his website after only a few months (existing relationship?)
  • how almost all of the 371 articles are pure shit (spelling errors, useless content, no photos, videos). Note - I didn't read 371 articles, just assumed that they're all low quality after skimming the one random article above.

People are complaining about the all the Google updates, but this guy from Bangladesh (probably) is ignoring the noise, breaking nerd SEO rules, and making $$$.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an automated AI Content site on an expired domain with an existing link profile. Looks like he's trying to pawn it off on some sucker (a scam) before the hammer comes down on it like it has many other AI sites. I talked about what a handful were doing now that they're all tanking and how they're either trying to 1) Save the domain, 2) Make a quick buck with spam install ads and popups, 3) or just pulling the sites down altogether.

The tell here is that there's zero effort. As you noted, there's no images or anything. Probably some on-page caked in by the headers they copy and pasted to guide the AI writer along.

We've been talking about this at length in the following threads if you're interested:
It's just the newest spam trash that Google is making short order of to the point where it's not worth the effort to spruce up the AI content, when you might as well do that work to real content. It's going to be an on-going back-and-forth battle though as these AI writers improve.

Thank you for the taking the time to explain.

What I don't get is how they got Mediavine onboard. I've read some of your posts on how Mediavine is hard to partner with, and how you have to patiently wait and pester them while in Adsense hell.

Media vines prolly on board cuz the traffics valuable so they prolly never bothered To check. Why would any advertisers complain and bring it to their attention. Traffic is worth what it’s worth, your site being a bit shit only marginally decreases it’s value if you’re hauling in good quality organic visitors.

I am going to against the wisdom of this forum and state that I actually like the content of the site. The topics being covered are not 'how to'. So, as a reader, I don't give a damn about missing pictures.

I do not think the content is AI. The flow is way too seamless to be able to achieve with AI (at least from what I have seen of AI sites - most times there will be little to no relevance between the first section and the next).

They probably have typos, but the content is so easy to read. I'd wager it's school-grade English which is very neat. A lot of us tend to end up with college-grade English which looks sophisticated on paper, but is not ideal for the SERPs.

I am not into the hobby, but if I were, I would trust this website.

I do not think the content is AI.

Yeah I agree, I don't see how it can be A.I. AND have typos.

The articles are VERY SPECIFIC: [Removed]

This person is using some KGR method and or zero-volume keyword method to do his keyword research, then simply outsourcing the content creation and getting an editor to edit it. It's got formatting with listicle-style formatting.

Reading some more articles, it's clearly a non-native English wrote them, so he's outsourcing to a 3rd world his content creation:

[Removed]

Interesting...

Someone took the time to format these articles well, and even the font choice is very clear.

I'm now considering copying the legendary [removed] playbook to a T.

This would be a case study for the ages.

I know someone who has bought a bunch of these sites. 80% or so were destroyed within the first year after transfer. I think some people have found the sweet spot with the expired domain, sniper keywords, and niche edit equation wherein they get just enough history to flip before Google is able to devalue them.

Not saying they're all crap and this is not a critique on Motion Invest themselves as they're just acting as middlemen.

Off topic, but now I think I'm gonna introduce some random typos into my AI content generator
Why would you do this? Also, AI content even from OpenAI regularly has spelling mistakes, or just invents new words that don't exist. Content having typos is not proof that it's not AI, not even close. It's going to be a factor in any LLM that is trying to detect it, but it's not as simple as saying X% typos = Human or AI.

I will say that the shittiest AI detectors are tracking perplexity and burstiness. Typos easily trick these because you're just giving it garbage that it doesn't expect and it's not smart enough to figure that out.

But Google will be. They are already tracking grammar, spelling and punctuation in your content. It's a negative ranking signal at some point. If you're trying to rank for a keyword where the top 10 results all have flawless grammar etc, let's say it's an academic keyword, then you want to match that. If it's blog trash where spelling is perfect but grammar is shit then maybe you want to look like that. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

So:
  • place an order from an overseas content mill
  • scan for AI
  • breathe life into said content by sprinkling in commonly accepted "typos" and text vernacular your target audience uses (thru instead of through, prolly instead of probably, IYKYK, etc.)
  • reduce to 4th grade-level reading comprehension
  • profit
Google can't ding you if you're keeping it real?

When the topic comes up of: "How does this page rank for that", I always think of the "tech support" websites which are all utter third world content crap, but probably ranking in millions. It should be embarassing to Google that they allow this shit to propagate instead of showing Reddit and other forums at the top.

Back