Why do people post outbound redirect links in blog comments?

Rok

Degree
Hello All,

I am new here so you can expect me in this thread for awhile.

My background is focused in Marketing/Design/Front End Web Dev, however I have been diving down the rabbit hole of SEO for the last few years, trying my best to sift through the information that is out there with the majority of it being snake oil.

Recently I keep coming across something which I am trying to figure out the tactic / concept of it, and maybe someone here has a better idea. I notice some of the comment spam I get on some of my sites are basically redirects / searches from google in different countries, as well as images.google.com etc.

I wouldnt imagine this would count as a backlink, however I do see semrush randomly pick it up as a link which I found odd in itself. Would this just be an indexing play?

[image broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't count as a backlink. It's just an outbound redirect.

It's people trying to fake out their metrics on sites like Moz, SEMRush, Majestic, and Ahrefs, so they can then sell links at a higher price. And some of them are just stupid and thinks higher metrics on those sites equals higher rankings.

Yeah, posting them as comments is just another way to get that trash indexed.

Welcome aboard, by the way!

It doesn't count as a backlink. It's just an outbound redirect.

It's people trying to fake out their metrics on sites like Moz, SEMRush, Majestic, and Ahrefs, so they can then sell links at a higher price. And some of them are just stupid and thinks higher metrics on those sites equals higher rankings.

Yeah, posting them as comments is just another way to get that trash indexed.

Welcome aboard, by the way!
That makes sense, I just wasn't sure if I was randomly missing something there. Granted I typically find it in comment spam, but it would make sense on the indexing side of things.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Back