Why are you working so hard?

You consume so much. Food, mansions, luxury cars, luxury windows, a doomsday bunker. Wow.

All my interests are free or nearly free. Tango night for €10 where I only drink water, no alcohol. I live in a 50 sq meter apartment (500 sq ft) and am happy with my apartment. The only thing I want now is a cat, which is like €20/month in cat food and litter. Other than that, it's connecting with people and meeting people and learning more about people. People are interesting to me and people are free, unless they want you to pay a cover fee to meet them, but then I don't want to meet them either.

I currently work 1 or 2 hours a week right now and I'm happy with my workload and income. I have enough, finally. I hope you feel fulfilled from your consumption.

People are shit. If you were broke, hungry and on the street nobody would give a fuck about you.

That happy apartment can be gone in a moment. You're landlord can be behind on his property taxes, sell out to have it demolished, evict you over a bullshit personal opinion, etc. Why would you ever want someone else like a landlord in control of your life? If a fire happened, what would you do? You think the insurance company will care? They will jerk you along and nickle and dime you. How many of your "friends" would let you live in their place for longer than a month? Many say they would, few if none will actually do it when the time comes. They will want you gone sooner or later.

We are self-sufficient here and have a homestead. We have gardens that produce a year's supply of food. Livestock, goats, chickens, etc. We don't buy clothes, hit the mall, etc. But life is about living. Why would I want to just another peasant in the grand scheme of things, contributing nothing to the world. Fuck, how many generations have to exist before you, before you step up and do something different. That kind of life is the EASY route, it requires no risk, no motivation, nothing... That is not what life is about.

Weak people are so quick to settle for a basic life that is easy, safe and comfortable.

To drink, fart and belch at the pub for an entire lifetime is pure misery to anyone who has a sliver of motivation in their blood. If everyone did that, we've never have this computer we're typing on, home structures, vehicles, etc. Someone at some point had to say, fuck this I'm going to do something with my life, invent something, or build something, etc.

People are shit. If you were broke, hungry and on the street nobody would give a fuck about you.

That happy apartment can be gone in a moment. You're landlord can be behind on his property taxes, sell out to have it demolished, evict you over a bullshit personal opinion, etc. Why would you ever want someone else like a landlord in control of your life? If a fire happened, what would you do? You think the insurance company will care? They will jerk you along and nickle and dime you. How many of your "friends" would let you live in their place for longer than a month? Many say they would, few if none will actually do it when the time comes. They will want you gone sooner or later.

We are self-sufficient here and have a homestead. We have gardens that produce a year's supply of food. Livestock, goats, chickens, etc. We don't buy clothes, hit the mall, etc. But life is about living. Why would I want to just another peasant in the grand scheme of things, contributing nothing to the world. Fuck, how many generations have to exist before you, before you step up and do something different. That kind of life is the EASY route, it requires no risk, no motivation, nothing... That is not what life is about.

Weak people are so quick to settle for a basic life that is easy, safe and comfortable.

To drink, fart and belch at the pub for an entire lifetime is pure misery to anyone who has a sliver of motivation in their blood. If everyone did that, we've never have this computer we're typing on, home structures, vehicles, etc. Someone at some point had to say, fuck this I'm going to do something with my life, invent something, or build something, etc.

Wow, sounds like you've had bad experiences with many people and decided to be self-sufficient and not rely on others. I'm like that too but I do it differently. First off, I own my apartment and I'm not a renter. I'm self-sufficient and have security. I'm not facing food insecurity or housing insecurity or anything like that. After the physical security and safety, I do have friends I can rely on. Sure, I wouldn't live at their place for a month if I was homeless but they do look out for me and support me and I to them. I seriuously invited a guy out to dinner last week since I haven't heard from him in awhile and knew he has issues with depression. The dinner and chat did cheer him up a bit. That is something money can't buy. No, I didn't pay for his dinner and he didn't pay for mine. It was just the company and discussion and it was all free. That's friendship. I'm sorry your experience with people sucked in the past. I'm glad that it has motivated you to be better than them. Good for you!

You consume so much. Food, mansions, luxury cars, luxury windows, a doomsday bunker. Wow.

All my interests are free or nearly free. Tango night for €10 where I only drink water, no alcohol. I live in a 50 sq meter apartment (500 sq ft) and am happy with my apartment. The only thing I want now is a cat, which is like €20/month in cat food and litter. Other than that, it's connecting with people and meeting people and learning more about people. People are interesting to me and people are free, unless they want you to pay a cover fee to meet them, but then I don't want to meet them either.

I currently work 1 or 2 hours a week right now and I'm happy with my workload and income. I have enough, finally. I hope you feel fulfilled from your consumption.
Why are you against consumerism?

You didn't outright say it, but you pretty much did.

Why are you against consumerism?

You didn't outright say it, but you pretty much did.
It's better to live under your means, save your money, and build up your wealth.

My old boss was from old money and he was cheap AF. He has a Harvard MBA and is from a wealthy family but he is penny pinching cheap. The type that has a google docs of every subscription the company has and reviews it every year and walks around asking people if they use this SaaS or not. If not, he'll cancel the subscription. I hated working for him and *he only paid himself €60,000 a year* as 30% owner of a company that makes $7,000,000 in revenue.

I thought it was stupid for him to be so cheap, when I'm here spending $10,000 on a public relations contract to move needles big time. He has a small/medium business mentality since his family runs a few businesses. What they do is set up the business, hire people to run it, and, if there's a fit, keep the managers there and keep the business running so that the family can build their wealth. The family has like 7 businesses and 12 rental apartments in Madrid.

For S., he was more concerned about building his family's wealth for his kids, then spending it. He really loved his family. I'm not a family man, which was why we didn't get along, but I respect that. I also learned that it's better to keep costs low and have a high savings rate (the percentage of a company's revenue that goes into savings or the percentage of your income that goes into your savings) than to consume. I mean, a Harvard MBA is $250,000 today, if you want the best for your kids, you better save up!

When COVID hit, we had a week of 0 sales since we were in travel. For me, it was a terrible time as I had to find ways to keep my employees. I would have felt so guilty to let them go, right when they needed me most. My department went to part time work for everyone. S. and the other co-owner just let people go and felt guilty for it. That was terrible and they were angry that my department kept everyone but only at half time. That's when I was reminded of Apple and how they have cash on hand for three years of operating expenses. That's crazy for a publicly traded company but Apple went through the 90's and barely survived. They're saving for a rainy day, at the corporate level. They remember the hard times.

S.'s family went through the same thing. I could tell. He had phrases such as "it's time to trim the fat" and other shit that I hated when I worked there but I understand now. They went through hard times before and had to make hard decisions before too. It just sucked that they weren't insightful enough to have 2 years of cash on hand. That was their mistake. I learned thrift from them.

So, to answer your question, I am against consumption because of guilt. I don't want to let employees go just because it's a downturn and would rather have cash on hand to keep the company afloat. Not as welfare but as capital that we can use to find other means to make profit and stay afloat. Institutions such as the Church of Latter Day Saints and Catholic Church know this. Their cash reservers are in the billions. They're not going to be wiped off the face of the earth due to bankruptcy, that's for sure. Most prestigious universities are like this too. If you're going to set up an entity, whether it be a corporation, LLC, partnership or any other business, you would want it to be a social institution and it needs wealth to stay around. That's for sure.

They say that wealth only lasts 3 generation in the US. The rich Dutch, who made their wealth from the Dutch Trading Company are still rich today. They kept their money and power and managed and invested it right. They also didn't lose it to dumb divorces, over-taxation, and dumb children who squandered their inheritance. I think the issue with Americans is that they try to re-invent the wheel so often when it doesn't need to be re-invented. Consumerism is one of them. Just use your old shoes and save that $70. It adds up over time. Another thing I learned from S. is to learn from other people. I wish me and S. didn't have a huge falling out but we did and I'm regretting it. He was a good friend and I wish him well in his $7,000,000 company. At first, I was so angry that I got laid off but now I've accepted it and have a promising startup of my own from what I learned there. Sad but life moves on. And, if you couldn't guess, I'm starting this company cheap as fuck.

It's better to live under your means, save your money, and build up your wealth.

My old boss was from old money and he was cheap AF. He has a Harvard MBA and is from a wealthy family but he is penny pinching cheap. The type that has a google docs of every subscription the company has and reviews it every year and walks around asking people if they use this SaaS or not. If not, he'll cancel the subscription. I hated working for him and *he only paid himself €60,000 a year* as 30% owner of a company that makes $7,000,000 in revenue.

I thought it was stupid for him to be so cheap, when I'm here spending $10,000 on a public relations contract to move needles big time. He has a small/medium business mentality since his family runs a few businesses. What they do is set up the business, hire people to run it, and, if there's a fit, keep the managers there and keep the business running so that the family can build their wealth. The family has like 7 businesses and 12 rental apartments in Madrid.

For S., he was more concerned about building his family's wealth for his kids, then spending it. He really loved his family. I'm not a family man, which was why we didn't get along, but I respect that. I also learned that it's better to keep costs low and have a high savings rate (the percentage of a company's revenue that goes into savings or the percentage of your income that goes into your savings) than to consume. I mean, a Harvard MBA is $250,000 today, if you want the best for your kids, you better save up!

When COVID hit, we had a week of 0 sales since we were in travel. For me, it was a terrible time as I had to find ways to keep my employees. I would have felt so guilty to let them go, right when they needed me most. My department went to part time work for everyone. S. and the other co-owner just let people go and felt guilty for it. That was terrible and they were angry that my department kept everyone but only at half time. That's when I was reminded of Apple and how they have cash on hand for three years of operating expenses. That's crazy for a publicly traded company but Apple went through the 90's and barely survived. They're saving for a rainy day, at the corporate level. They remember the hard times.

S.'s family went through the same thing. I could tell. He had phrases such as "it's time to trim the fat" and other shit that I hated when I worked there but I understand now. They went through hard times before and had to make hard decisions before too. It just sucked that they weren't insightful enough to have 2 years of cash on hand. That was their mistake. I learned thrift from them.

So, to answer your question, I am against consumption because of guilt. I don't want to let employees go just because it's a downturn and would rather have cash on hand to keep the company afloat. Not as welfare but as capital that we can use to find other means to make profit and stay afloat. Institutions such as the Church of Latter Day Saints and Catholic Church know this. Their cash reservers are in the billions. They're not going to be wiped off the face of the earth due to bankruptcy, that's for sure. Most prestigious universities are like this too. If you're going to set up an entity, whether it be a corporation, LLC, partnership or any other business, you would want it to be a social institution and it needs wealth to stay around. That's for sure.

They say that wealth only lasts 3 generation in the US. The rich Dutch, who made their wealth from the Dutch Trading Company are still rich today. They kept their money and power and managed and invested it right. They also didn't lose it to dumb divorces, over-taxation, and dumb children who squandered their inheritance. I think the issue with Americans is that they try to re-invent the wheel so often when it doesn't need to be re-invented. Consumerism is one of them. Just use your old shoes and save that $70. It adds up over time. Another thing I learned from S. is to learn from other people. I wish me and S. didn't have a huge falling out but we did and I'm regretting it. He was a good friend and I wish him well in his $7,000,000 company. At first, I was so angry that I got laid off but now I've accepted it and have a promising startup of my own from what I learned there. Sad but life moves on. And, if you couldn't guess, I'm starting this company cheap as fuck.

You're still young.

The problem I see is, that you like to broadly sweep things as "X, Y or Z" like it is black and white. And then use that info as how things are for everyone around you and how they always have been.

You may try to disagree. But it shows itself here on the forum, old and current. This isn't a bash, it's just an observation. You have gotten better, I will give you that for sure.

But things aren't cut and dry like that.

You will see even more as you get older and have more experience. Right now you just don't have them to see. Similar to how you felt working at that job, and feel differently now.

^^ That has to happen in all areas of your life, for you to see what I am saying and have been saying for years on this forum.

You're still young.

The problem I see is, that you like to broadly sweep things as "X, Y or Z" like it is black and white. And then use that info as how things are for everyone around you and how they always have been.

You may try to disagree. But it shows itself here on the forum, old and current. This isn't a bash, it's just an observation. You have gotten better, I will give you that for sure.

But things aren't cut and dry like that.

You will see even more as you get older and have more experience. Right now you just don't have them to see. Similar to how you felt working at that job, and feel differently now.

^^ That has to happen in all areas of your life, for you to see what I am saying and have been saying for years on this forum.
Of course. I am still figuring out what I want and don't want and doing so takes time :smile:

I get desperate and depressed if I don't work. Making myself productive is probably the #1 reason I even get up in the morning. Even on vacations I cannot stop working. I have to do something to feel productive.

I often stare at people who can simply lay around and do nothing for hours and hours. Oh, and of course, I want and need the $$$. After all, everything is expensive now. I just spent $2 for a liter of milk.

Word. Gotta watch out for red flags though. Wish it was easier to meet women like that.
This is totally a distraction from my work this afternoon but, shit, since we're talking about red flags and I got an email for this thread, here's some of mine lol:
  1. If she tells you how she has a felony. RUN.
  2. If she tells you how her and her mom robbed her grandpa and got away with it, RUN!
  3. If she tells you how she's still married but separated and her last boyfriend is seeking revenge and she also has two man slaves, RUN!
  4. If she tells you she's crazy as a WARNING, RUN! People who warn you ahead of time are telling you what they will do to you later on.
  5. If she says shit like how she used to do X, Y, and Z and it was bad and she's now looking to make friends, RUN! She's expressing her guilt for doing that but that doesn't mean she's over it.
  6. If she has a political agenda, RUN. She'll use you for her ideology.
Best advice I ever got was from a lesbian. She says just find a woman, any woman will do. So, instead of chasing your dream girl, go for a basic, average one. I did that with the girl I'm currently dating and it works out well. She isn't crazy and I don't have to do anything to impress her or be with her. Easy as fuck relationship and I love it.

Hot messes are not worth it at all, no matter how hot they are. Plus, they're a ticking time bomb and their looks will go away soon or later.

The people with political agendas, overt or hidden, are terrible too. They use you and it hurts!

Did you manage to become the third? Jokes aside, it seems you've been through some hardcore shit with women.
No, that girl cancelled one of her slaves and the other slaved got attached and she cancelled him too. Now she's in a lesbian relationship. The first thought I had when I meet her after "she's hot!" was "She's crazy!" and I should have followed my brain by not getting involved with her but, no, I followed my dick!

But yeah, I've been through shit with women but it is better now. I'm dating this wonderful Ukrainian refugee who is super care free, happy, and friendly. She was on a trip through Brazil and on the way back to Ukraine, then the war started, and she said ".. NOPE!" and took a train to Berlin! Best decision she has ever made, in my opinion! I'd definitely done something similar.

but yeah... back to garden shit... oh yeah, find an interesting girl to support you and spend your off time with. Awesome advice @secretagentdad (thumbs up)

Back