Who of you also hates content writing as much as I do?

Degree
Hello guys,

I am a programmer, I really love to create new systems together with a new programming language that I do not know yet.

However, in IM: Content is king!

Writting is definitely not one of my passions. Hence, when creating a niche site I really have to overcome my inner no sayer.

So my question is:
Do you like creating content? What motivates you?

I appreciate your replies!

I don't like it either, but I still do it for some important websites. But most of the times I hire writers.

Do what your good at and what you like if possible.

I think it's almost necessary to get your hands a little dirty in every aspect of your business. Then when you get some traction, you can build processes to automate things. I assume that if you don't even know the basics, you wouldn't know the best way and what to look for to outsource things.

Long story short, writing content will be a necessary evil for you, for now at least.

What motivates you?

If you can't afford it at the moment, your motivation should definitely be "Make enough cashflow to outsource 100% of my content needs." That should be the fire under your seat.

Otherwise, pick a niche that you can enjoy writing about, like programming.

Unless you're blogging about something you're truly passionate about, you should be focusing on what is going to make your readership convert and not what motivates you to write more. You should have a clear idea of your goals (read: conversions), but spend a good deal of time getting into the head of your potential client/customer/conversion before you write a word.

What are the possible objections they might have?
What would motivate them to want this product/service in the first place?
If I'm strictly providing information without selling something, how can I provide the BEST information possible?

Answering these questions and working them into your content is going to do a lot more for you than strictly relying on a passion for the topic.

A year ago I really hated writing. Today I don't.

I still wouldn't say that I like writing, I just like the feeling that comes afterwords. :wink:
It's like going to the gym.

Here's four tips that might help you write:
  1. Write whatever you can think of. If it's not good, just delete it. But don't decide it's bad before you write it down.
  2. Write first, edit later. (Almost the same as the first, it's important enough to have two points though.)
  3. Use a beautiful font.
  4. Have something playing in the background, something like white noise.
What motivates me?
That depends heavily on where and what I write about.
Right now it's helping you.
And getting some likes, so I can post on other parts of this awesome forum. :wink:

Content writing is kind of an odd thing for me. I love to write, but my passion for writing lies in stories and screenplays. Not content for my sites. So it is a bit of a grind, but this was just posted to the Newsstand and it really gave me some great ideas on how to make the process more fluid and successful.

http://www.nohatdigital.com/blog/seo-content-creation/?hvid=4sCKtm

Content is king in the publishing business, but there's a lot more to IM than publishing in the traditional sense. Instead of a printing press we have Wordpress so the barriers are non-existent but making a content site when you don't like dealing with content makes me think of opening a bakery if you can't stand mixing some dough.

If you don't have a team of writers and you don't like writing... why the hell would you start a content site? Look beyond all the guides and case studies and "This is how to make money online..." stuff and realize that you're getting yourself into content marketing so find a type of content that you enjoy producing or take a look at one of the other 999 ways to make money online.

Who else hates dogs but is opening a rescue shelter?
Who else hates fitness but is opening a gym?
Who else hates pizza but is opening an Italian restaurant?

Catch my drift?

You should do something with programming if that's what you enjoy. Don't get into entrepreneurship just to create a job for yourself that you don't even like. That's just my 2 cents...

Edit: I don't mean to sound harsh and obviously no matter what you do there's going to be some degree of content required, I just wanted to help point out that there's a lot more to this game than banging out articles if that's not what you're into.

Last edited:
Partner with someone who like writing. Or simply build a project that doesn't require writing or at least only require a few landing pages of text and forum level copy.

There are more opportunities in creating apps that surpass what is on the market than creating a business based on content, because of the barrier of entry. ( I am talking very lightly about the content it is really just to make a point.)

You can find thousands of software as a service that you can hustle solo mode. But, anything that you attempt on your own will require you to hustle for traffic in a way or the other. Meaning that you can limit your content creation, but you will definitely need to write for multiple reasons.

I love writing, but if I venture into a niche in wich I have little or no knoledge, what I do is I find relevant articles allready online or sometimes offline, then I rewrite the information as if I was to tell it to ONE other person, or if you will teaching what 've just read to someone else.
When I do I create an imaginary person that fits the primary segment of my audience and wright to taht "one person" it helps make the content more personal for the reader.

If there's one skill I wish I was better at it would probably be writing. As a kid, I regret never reading books or being interested in novels. Most of my friends who grew up reading a lot ended up becoming awesome at writing. (get your kids reading early)

For me, the problem isn't coming up with ideas to write about, it's putting those thoughts and ideas to paper in a reasonable amount of time.

Even though I suck at writing, and it takes me forever to get a decent article done, getting blog engagement from my articles is icing on the cake and what "motivates" me.

Hoping in time the writing will become easier.

I am not a prolific writer. Whenever I was able to write well, doing these two have been very helpful (in that order):
  1. Creating an outline of what I wanted to write
  2. Writing whatever I feel like without worrying about order (what goes where)
Once I am done with 2, I rearrange everything based on 1.

Last edited:
I don't like writing either, so really the only kind of writing I do that I can't find someone to hire who does it better than me, is sales copy writing. Everything else goes to someone else to write. You'd be surprised how you can convey in a 60 second voice mail everything a decent writer needs to know to have them create your content for you.

It's best to operate on your strength. I do not like to write either, but I like to come up with content ideas!
I then outsource all my content requirement to writers and editors.

As the old saying goes Play to your strengths, if you hate writing or can't write very well don't write their are plenty of writers both expensive, cheap, talanted, not talanted who you can hire who will do it for you at every price range.

Do what your good at and outsource the rest.

Creating content yourself.....ewwwwww!

I can only create it if Im 100% passionate about the topic (rare unless its IM) and even then, i'm over it after 500 words.

The most I do these days is creating templates for content writers, with word counts for sections, questions that they must answer and basically a guide for them to follow - I would like to even get to the point of outsourcing that!

For main pages which are important and will be good earners, hire a good writer (5-10c per word, you get what you pay for) and for not-so important pages I tend to just give article titles to writers for about 3c/word.

Alex

Creating content yourself.....ewwwwww!

It isn't for everyone.

I continue to write almost all my content, but only because it's a tough niche and I know it extremely well; it's definitely not a passion of mine, but it's content which will be valuable for years to come. I also write in very concise, clear and thought out ways with intent to link within my site and build its structure. I highly doubt a paid writer would be able to do this as well and keep the integrity of my site intact. They simply don't know the project like I do.

It might be slower to get going, but I am quite certain I'm going to take over some excellent paying keywords, strictly because my content is top notch. It's content people find enormous value in (and link to), it converts well (for my niche, at least), and I complete it in off hours anyway because I don't hold myself to a strict publishing deadline of any kind. I've had several piece go out in a week, and others take a month (5,000 word guides).

Will I get to a point where I require a top notch writer to grow? Very likely. Is it worth my time yet to do so now? No.

Depends on my mood.

Some days I hate writing..

Other days I love it.

Dragon naturally speaking for the win. You can easily pop a couple articles per day, you should give it a try

Back