Where do you put affiliate links and how to optimize?

Degree
I've been going through my previous articles and refining them. One thing I realised when doing so is that I don't have a proper strategy when it comes to placing affiliate links.
Here is what I currently do:
  1. For a product review, I use an AAWP table after my introduction, and the same at the very end. Sometimes I will have a "Check price on Amazon" button thrown in the middle somewhere too.
  2. For a Top X for Y review, its the same process, but after each product, I will also have a button linking to that product.
There's no real strategy to what I am doing and I don't know how I can optimise. Would love to hear some of your ways of adding affiliate table/links and how you optimised it.

Idea #1. Track your btn clicks in GA. Create multiple review pages and place btns in different areas. Look at the data over time and decide which one gets the most clicks, then keep testing until you are confident the btn placement is good.

Idea #2. Setup a heatmap on your site and check your current pages. Look for signs of which areas people hover/click on the most and then optimize. Make sure that the heatmap tool (if other than GA) doesn't affect your speed though. Most will slow down your website.

Idea #3. Look at your competitors pages and find a trend. They probably did all the hard work for you already ;-)

You should have a "See price on Amazon" or similar for every product.

You can also sprinkle in stuff like "See all product in category x" buttons or links.

Keep it standard and simple. Each product gets the same buttons and affiliate links.

Idea #1. Track your btn clicks in GA. Create multiple review pages and place btns in different areas. Look at the data over time and decide which one gets the most clicks, then keep testing until you are confident the btn placement is good.

Idea #2. Setup a heatmap on your site and check your current pages. Look for signs of which areas people hover/click on the most and then optimize. Make sure that the heatmap tool (if other than GA) doesn't affect your speed though. Most will slow down your website.

Idea #3. Look at your competitors pages and find a trend. They probably did all the hard work for you already ;-)
You should have a "See price on Amazon" or similar for every product.

You can also sprinkle in stuff like "See all product in category x" buttons or links.

Keep it standard and simple. Each product gets the same buttons and affiliate links.
Appreciate the responses! I think i'll try all 3 of your options @LinkPlate to get a real data point and go from there. I'd like to get it done relatively soon though and get sorted for black friday.

Back