When To Create New Money Page?

Degree
Hey guys, wondering if someone with a little more experience could help me out with a quick question...

I'm using my main ranking category page to target 'best widgets' which has say 14,000 monthly searches. Working through the keyword list for that page, the majority of sub-terms being targeted/ranked for are well under 1,000 MS and sit nicely in the text and H3 tags.

Wanting to drive more traffic to the page and add to the content I've done a spot of keyword research and there's a closely related term that the page isn't currently ranking for (or is even mentioned in the current content) that gets 9K MS, let's call it 'best widgets with Wi-Fi'.

I'm keen to avoid keyword cannibalization so...

My question is - should I add this as a new section to the existing page that's targeting 'best widgets' under a H2 with it's own content or would it be better to create a dedicated sub-page to target this term?

It depends on the stakes.

You may be ranking okay for those long-tail sub-terms because they have low competition. I recommend doing this too.

I'd be inclined to add it to the main page if it's truly a long-tail as you've described, if and only if the competition was weak. At 9k exact search volume, my guess is it's not going to be that simple. If the competition is there with actual pages directly targeting that term with on-page SEO, then I'd probably create a separate page.

And I'd link from this new page to the main page and from the main page to the new page. Share the wealth with yourself.

It all boils down to the competition. If it's there then you may need to go hyper-targeted with it's own page.

What's the competition like?

@Ryuzaki awesome - didn't think to look at what the competition is doing.

After a quick search, it would seem that 50% of the top 10 are creating hyper focused pages. I guess it also makes sense from a UX point of view as the reader will have a better experience seeing a page that contains exactly what they're looking for when clicking through.

SEMrush data for the term is 2,690,000 competitor pages and keyword difficulty of 84.06 I'm playing the long game with this page - the parent ranks for the 'best widgets' term so hopefully with some internal linking this page can too.

I guess it also makes sense to look at the product range too - if those products with Wi-Fi are significantly with different buying requirements then it makes sense to create the new page.

Dude, once again you come in and save the day!

It depends on the stakes.

You may be ranking okay for those long-tail sub-terms because they have low competition. I recommend doing this too.

I'd be inclined to add it to the main page if it's truly a long-tail as you've described, if and only if the competition was weak. At 9k exact search volume, my guess is it's not going to be that simple. If the competition is there with actual pages directly targeting that term with on-page SEO, then I'd probably create a separate page.

And I'd link from this new page to the main page and from the main page to the new page. Share the wealth with yourself.

It all boils down to the competition. If it's there then you may need to go hyper-targeted with it's own page.

What's the competition like?

You're so cute.

Yeah, I would just analyze the SERPs for both the base kw and the long tail. Does everyone else have two pages, or is the longtail just ranking the base kw page? Are the advertisements on the longtail SERP targeting the longtail? How many pages on the longtail results page have the kw in the title, h1, content, image alt, and meta...as well as having proper schema markup if it's appropriate?

If the answer is that all the longtail results are not properly optimized, you have a decision to make:
  • Did I just find an untapped, lucrative sub-niche that is actively searched by visitors in a buying mindset, OR
  • Is this just a minor question that needs answering, but should still be part of the base kw page?
For me, it just comes down to if advertisers are trying to make money from the longtail. If they're not, I'm probably OK just to add the longtail in a new section on the main page.

If they are targeting the longtail, you'll likely find clear competition for it anyway. In that case, I know there's money to be had, and I'm setting up a hyper-targeted page.

Last edited:
Back