When I copy & paste from a Word doc to Gutenberg all the text is Bold

Degree
When I copy pasted an article from a word doc to Gutenberg, all the words are in bold for some reason. It's not bold in Gutenberg but shows up as bold when i look at the page. Any clue why this may be happening? I cleared the cache and tried adding bold and then removing it etc. This is driving me nuts :/

When I copy pasted an article from a word doc to Gutenberg, all the words are in bold for some reason. It's not bold in Gutenberg but shows up as bold when i look at the page. Any clue why this may be happening? I cleared the cache and tried adding bold and then removing it etc. This is driving me nuts :/

Try pasting in the source code box. I'm not sure if this shows in Gutenberg, but you can access it through the WP classic editor plug-in.

Try pasting in as normal and near the top right I think there's a button with 3 vertical dots. Somewhere up there you can view "text mode" or something like that. See if there's extra HTML tags in there like <b> being added. Alternatively, what I do for every Word document is select the entire thing, hit the bold button, then hit it again. This makes everything bold, then un-bolds it. That clears out any hidden bold stuff. But by looking at the "text mode" or "text view" you can at least find out where it's occurring if you're curious.

Just adding this for fellow BuSo’ers who may not know this little trick.

You can copy and paste text by using “Command+Shift+V” on Mac or “Ctrl+Shift+V” on Windows. This clears all of the text formatting.

Use “Command+V” when you’d like to keep the associated text formatting.

But I assume that you, @CaptainHustle like to copy/paste and keep the formatting?

Try pasting in as normal and near the top right I think there's a button with 3 vertical dots. Somewhere up there you can view "text mode" or something like that. See if there's extra HTML tags in there like <b> being added. Alternatively, what I do for every Word document is select the entire thing, hit the bold button, then hit it again. This makes everything bold, then un-bolds it. That clears out any hidden bold stuff. But by looking at the "text mode" or "text view" you can at least find out where it's occurring if you're curious.

So when I edit the HTML, it does not show a <b> tag. However, when I inspect element on the page, it is shown in bold. It is mindfuck. I don't know what to do but to leave it for now and hope that excessive bolding has no SEO impact.

Just adding this for fellow BuSo’ers who may not know this little trick.

You can copy and paste text by using “Command+Shift+V” on Mac or “Ctrl+Shift+V” on Windows. This clears all of the text formatting.

Use “Command+V” when you’d like to keep the associated text formatting.

But I assume that you, @CaptainHustle like to copy/paste and keep the formatting?

Thanks for the tip Skippy. I didn't know the shortcut but I did try manually removing the formatting and everything, it doesn't seem to be working. This has never happened before so I don't know what I am dealing with here.

Any change that the paragraphs have a CSS rule that bolds the font. Something like font-weight: 600; or font-weight: bold;

It was a plugin conflict. I had used some HTML in the plugin, looks like that was causing the page to appear bold. It's resolved now. Thanks a ton.

Back