What's Your Thoughts on Amazon Key & Letting Random Delivery People Open Your Front Door?

Degree
56Np36C.png

Amazon is pushing this new thing called Amazon Key. This is the link to their official lander for it:

So for the "small" price of having:
  1. An ongoing subscription to Amazon Prime
  2. The purchase of their new door locks controlled by their app
  3. And their smart Cloud Cam so you and they can be watching your front door when you unlock it from anywhere
So if anyone does anything strange, they're on camera. But you can use it to let your friends into your house and all that too.

I'm of the opinion that this isn't one of those moves that's helpful, but to condition us to these ideas and shift what's acceptable. We know that the CIA gave Amazon $600,000 to buy the Washington Post that has done nothing but spew propaganda since. That may have colored my view of this, and I think it will do that to others too.

But I think the trendy, hipster, early adopters and the silicon valley types will eat it up too.

I can't imagine that many packages get stolen that it warrants this kind of product and promotion either. I'm not into it. I'm more suspicious about it with negative excitement levels. The CSS for that lander is so bad too.

1. Just wait for this to be hacked
2. Think. What's the meta game here? What data is amazon collecting?
Off the top of my head:
Where do wealthy tech afficionados live?
When are they home and when not?

so for $ 249 I get relatively old technology and a security cam so I can see who is comming in through the front door plus I give them permission to spy on me, just so they can place pakkages inside my house....hmmm let me think about that.........Sure I am game when hell freezes over and there is two thursdays on a wednsday and Trump becomes pope then and only then would I ever consider signing up for that.

Reactions: Joe
This is downright awesome. I predict it will fuel some future entertainment (at others' misfortunes) to be sure. People get the tyranny they ask for. In this case, the tyranny of "convenience" for solving a problem that doesn't exist, and that no one actually has. I'm just trying to figure out if the idea originator(s) are either:
  • Major assholes who 1) Overestimate their own opinions 2) Have no concept of the societal risks
  • Ruthless product marketers who are truly embodying the phrase "money over ethics"
On the one hand, I want to utterly despise the idea. On the other, I have to give a nod to whoever has the balls to release a product like this with a straight face, fully understanding the philosophical underpinnings at play. Either way, this shall be meme-ified in short order.

One way mail slots work too ? ???no ? ?

Stuff like this and the Google Home and Amazon Alexa aren't being done because the populous wants it or because it's in demand and popular. It's training us to accept certain ideas that break down the walls to surveillance.

After dismissing security flaw, Amazon patches Key smart lock anyway
Source: ZDNet.com

So Amazon has patched a second security flaw with this thing but aren't admitting this second one was a problem.

The first one allowed people to pair some other kind of bluetooth device to the Amazon Key that you'd hide nearby so when the delivery person drops off a package, you can come back and sync to the device and open the door. This lets you steal the package or come back and do whatever you want at any other time.

This second patch that didn't fix a security problem that didn't exist blocked the bolt from re-locking after the delivery person opens the door. You get a notification and can walk up to the door and take the package or a shower and fix yourself a sandwich too.

Back