What's your take on AI generated content?

Degree
I wouldn't use AI anymore.... I am getting many pages from my website deindexed and I think it might be because of me using Jasper/Jarvis to help create the content.

But the part I don't understand is, how come the articles which are written poorly by my writers are fine but somehow the AI-written articles that provide good information and are written a lot better than crappy writers have been deindexed..

This only happens in 2 of my sites which tells me that it's only based on AI. I also have Google instant indexer thing which was also only meant for news sites or whatever but I have it on my other sites so that's not the cause of the deindexing.

I have a site that makes me a couple hundred $ which is an old site, and in there I had written 1 article with the AI and I guess it hasn't been indexed but all the other articles are fine.

FYI on GPT-2 Checkers, it gives like 0.06% fake.

I THINK Google can Check for GPT-3, Don't USE IT even as a WRITING assistant!!!!

Last edited:
Degree
I've been an early adopter of Copy.ai, Jarvis and a myriad of tools that generated good short-form content. Copy.ai saved me a TON of time at one of my jobs - absolutely great tool for generating thousands of FB and Google Ads.

However, all of these tool were lacking the long-form content. I've recently worked with a few developers who toyed with the idea of writing 1.5-2k articles with the AI, and the results seems promising so far. I want to build a test website to play with this idea, however, I'm concerned about Google's algorithms.

I remember reading somewhere that Google recently announced that it can detect and penalize GPT-3 type content quite easily, however, I'm having a hard time understanding how it can realistically detect that.

Overall, what's your take on GPT-3 and have you considered using it for long-form content on your projects?
i disagree. they may write a synatctically and semantically correct article but people would not necessarily read it. you need that human touch. people don't even read articles written by best writers these days haha(due to video content rise), I suspect if AI could help in generating any value to business.

Degree
I think it is useful to generate outlines for certain types of articles.

However, for low / zero volume keywords I found it ran into difficulty quite quickly.

But it could have been that I didn't have a great grasp of the tool

tyealia

BuSo Pro
Degree
The gpt hugging face detector out of 20 articles I tested it with caught 9/10 ai articles gave 2/10 false positives on the real content. This is impressive considering it's not even a tool from google by some independent guy. Now imagine putting 50 google engineers on this to create an ai detector, if they haven't made one already they will, and it will blow this one out of the park.

I don't mess with ai. I used to be blackhat but got tired of getting hit by every update. With all my experiences in the past 10 years of SEO everytime I found something that was a loophole that everyone knew about and was touting "the flavor of the month SEO hack" little later everyone using it got spanked.

Cloaked hacked links, BBR, senuke, xrumer, anchor text manipulation, you name it everytime some exciting way to try to screw the algo comes out you can bet your ass googles engineers are working on killing it.

Degree
I'm using OpenAI's GPT-3 playground, since I have access to it for free.

It's a nice complementary tool if you want to rephrase and expand some text to update old blog posts.
I've also used Rytr, but I prefer to use the vanilla's GPT-3 version, since it's more granular, and I can experiment with this technology by myself.

I have no idea if Google is able to detect GPT-3 generated content, but what matters to me is if the content is informative & unique, which I think that OpenAI's technology manages to achieve.

In my opinion, if Google detects that your blog post has a high average engagement time per user, your ranking won't be affected, even if it was AI generated.

Degree
I’ve used Jasper for a full month plus trial period. And I can tell you this tool is amazing for:

• Product descriptions
  • Ads
  • Social media post captions
  • Paraphrasing
  • Creative writing

Total Inaccuracy​

But when it comes to writing an informational article, this tool fails miserably.

For the sake of argument, let’s say that the easiest way to write info articles is to write about topics you are familiar with. The other, much harder way, is to do extensive research.

When I tried to write an article about a topic I’m familiar with, Jasper just throws a bunch of false information. I could go over a few mistakes here and there, but this was the next level of inaccuracy. And I don’t mean most information was false – everything was wrong.

Now you might say it’s because of some obscure niche so AI can’t find the right information online. Nope. The search volume and SERP results are about the same as for the iPhone.

Now, you might be wondering, just as I was, maybe we can write about simple things and publish 100+ short articles monthly. Yes, AI can write “good enough” articles for simple, broad topics. For example, with a bit of guidance, Jasper can write a good article about the “blue screen of death” or “why the grass is green.”

But even here you’ll need to perform some fact-checking and with that in mind, I can also write an article about why the grass is green at about the same time.

If you count in "time on page" as a ranking factor, including site authority, I wouldn't rely on any AI tool to help me here.

Maybe there is a chance that for some uncompetitive niches you’ll find it a good fit, but I didn’t.

Article Outlines Sucks​

Yes, Jasper can create the article outline with one click. But the result of the outline flow is an unreadable article. It even totally misses the topic. No matter how much information you give upfront. If you combine it with SurferSEO, things get much worse. You might get an idea for a few headers, but in my opinion, these outlines are unusable.

Some people (a lot) talk so highly about this tool I’ve thought there might be something wrong with me. So I even try to train myself to write better guides for the tool. It didn’t help. You have to force it so much that it doesn’t make sense.

What About Writer’s Block?​

I think this is the main selling point of any AI writing tool. I still use it from time to time. When I get stuck, I just open the free Quillbot extension for Google Docs, write WHATEVER comes to mind, and paraphrase the paragraph. That’s enough to get me going.

Jasper is great for creative writing​

When it comes to writing stories, Jasper rocks. If I would like to write feature articles or stories I would definitely choose this tool as a help. For example, I’ve tried to write an informational how-to article in a story format. It was a pleasure to read. But when we take search intent in mind, I wouldn’t go this route.

Jasper is the best for writing fiction​

I’ve never gone this far, but I’m quite confident I could write a 60-80k words fiction book in a week or so with the help of this. All you have to do is think up a good plot, add characters and guide the tool here and there. Again, I’m really amazed at how this technology invents stories.

How Google Treats AI Articles?​

I really don’t know, some say Google totally deindexed their AI posts, while others swear there’s no difference in comparison with human-written text. While there’s no doubt the technology will develop further, I am quite confident that Google will follow.

Conclusion​

I had some big hopes when these tools came out. Now I’m glad they didn’t work for me. I’ve invested $150 for Jasper and SurferSEO combo and some crazy amount of working hours just to learn how to use these tools, so I could produce articles faster.

In retrospect, it would be a much wiser decision to invest those 200+ working hours and $150 into some writing classes and reading some books.

With that in mind, I think it makes much more sense to invest time and money into personal writing skills and developing processes for hiring content writers if we talk about content websites.

As for the writing assistants, I wouldn’t go further than Grammarly and Hemmingway App.

Degree
Hi all, I have several blogs on which I conduct experiments.
In my experience, AI-generated content is well indexed and ranked.
If this content is of high quality, then there are no problems with it.

Degree
AI content generators are just a tool, and like any tool it's how you use it that counts. I use open source and alternative AI APIs (GPT-NeoX, AI21 etc) and find them to be great as a starting point for articles on subjects I don't know much about. With automation and a bit of automatic filtering they're fine for lower tier link building too in my experience.

Boy

@jdcharnell
BuSo Pro
Degree
I know this is an SEO forum and all that, but I think there could be some fantastic benefits to AI writing outside of the SEO world someone could take advantage of. Use SEO to draw in clients, then use the AI tools to help you along the way. Stuff that doesn't need to be some grand masterpiece.

Protip: treat the tool like an intern/VA. You wouldn't have them go buck wild; you give them specific tasks and explain exactly how to do each task.

Resume writing service
Really easy. With just a basic understanding of a person's role, you should be able to tell if the stuff it's spitting out is good or not.

Or, you could do what most people aren't smart enough to do and just copy someone else's job description ... then run it through a rewriter.

Boom, charge a few hundred bucks and tell them to tell their friends.

Business paper writing service(s)
We're talking whitepapers, marketing and business plans, directory listings of any kind (real estate, anyone?), or any sort of circle-jerky content that SMBs love.

Fed Jasper a few key points from a website I sold, and it gave me:

Founded in 2019, [Website] is a job board catering to the [industry] industries. In July 2021, the company was sold for an undisclosed sum. It grew to over 12,000 unique visitors monthly in fourteen months. The company generated over $54,800 in total value/revenue, with $4,300 spent on content creation.

From 2019 to 2020, [Website]'s revenue grew by 66%. The company's sale is a testament to the growing demand for digital tools and resources in the [industry] industries. [Website]'s success underscores the need for niche job boards that can provide targeted leads for specific industries.

A few minor tweaks and (if the numbers were actually impressive) I have the executive summary for a client case study created.

Email marketing DFY service
I mean, shit, look at some of these examples: https://flowium.com/copy/

Do that for $250+ for each email created, find a third-world designer to do that part of the process, and boom.

Money.

I'm using it to write emails now. Write a key sentence and let it expand for two sentences. Repeat until finished.

Don't have to worry about not being indexed lol