What's your take on AI generated content?

The assertion that these robots will cost less than slave labor is admirable but mistaken.

Someone has to man and maintain the robots, just like the old factories that has 1,000 workers, reduced by robots down to 100 - who are there to maintain them.

Imagine when every household in the world has a Figure taking 10 pictures a second, listening to every conversation, recording everything you say and do... I mean, I don't even like Alexa. And now with intelligent video and audio recording 24/7? It sounds like everyone will have a prison guard living inside their home cell. Maybe I'm paranoid. But I also know former intel folks. And frankly, I think everyone should be a lot more worried than they are. Happy Friday.

Imagine when every household in the world has a Figure taking 10 pictures a second, listening to every conversation, recording everything you say and do... I mean, I don't even like Alexa. And now with intelligent video and audio recording 24/7? It sounds like everyone will have a prison guard living inside their home cell. Maybe I'm paranoid. But I also know former intel folks. And frankly, I think everyone should be a lot more worried than they are. Happy Friday.

I don't use/have any smart stuff in my home despite selling automation consulting and stuff to businesses. Sometimes I post an AI post on LinkedIn as a joke and note it at the end etc.

It's definitely dystopian but let's just make what money we can out of it all while it's going on - not like we can stop it.

One day many of us will go hide somewhere away from it all. Just like those of us who have our cellphones on silent 24/7 and only use them when we need to make a call have hidden from the last societal shift.

https://www.searchenginejournal.com...e-drop-due-to-chatbots-fails-scrutiny/511270/

Good rebuttles to the claim by Gartner that AI will shrink search market by 25% in 2026. Best arguments are that an AI query is 10x more expensive than a search query, which limits usage of AI; LLMs need to be retrained and can not be real time; and people don't trust AI with YMYL queries.

I'm of the opinion, that search is here to stay! AI won't replace search engines. Not sure if the arguments were made by Roger Montti or he just takes credit for it but those are good counter arguments! Bam!

I don't use/have any smart stuff in my home
Same. I don't have any "smart" devices for this reason.

let's just make what money we can out of it all
100% agree. Steve Jobs didn't let his kids use smartphones or tablets. But he was happy to sell the shit out of them to everyone else's children.

One day many of us will go hide somewhere
Let's hope that day is far away...

I'm of the opinion, that search is here to stay!
Search is here to stay... but how people answer their questions is debatable.

Go search "Best homemade language recipe"... you'll get a bunch of horrible websites with terrible user experience and you'll need to scroll through fifteen ads before you can get the recipe... WTF.

I will 100% use ChatGPT/Gemini to find recipes instead of wadding through these horrible sites.

In fact, when it comes to this recipe example, the only reason to use search might be to find a specific recipe from a specific person who you already have an affinity towards... think "Jamie Oliver's Homemade Lasagne".

That's the kind of search that could still have sticking power - though I have no doubt ChatGPT and Gemini will both tell you how Jamie makes his lasagne so good.

This is the most basic example that I can come up with... I'm sure you can think of many more...

My take is this:

People will dig deeper into topics and will probably use independent search results to do so... but SGE will impact the click-through rate and, if you're 100% reliant on organic traffic through SEO-optimized content, you'll see lower traffic numbers than in years past.

A lot of things can still go wrong for AI.

The major issue being copyright, which so far these companies have skirted, but there's no doubt that a lot of what AI does is plagiarism.

Most likely there will be laws that everyone gets paid for the content that is in training sets, but like with class action lawsuits and Spotify etc, this will probably only make you rich if you're a big publication.

I'm of the opinion, that search is here to stay!

The problem is I used to do deep dive technically queries and the results have been getting worse every year. It got to the point of where I default by going to StackOverflow for a lot of answers. then Reddit, if I am really lost, and ask there. The days of me scrolling to page 2-10 for a more concise answer are gone.

Call it a Chatbot or AI or Robot or just Computer from Star Trek, I don't care.
Does it make my life easier? Yes.
Does it help me get my job done faster? Yes.
Does it save me time? Yes.

We have all of humans knowledge in the palm of our hands everyday. But we have to search for the answers. Like in the old school libraries with the index card system - the Dewey Decimal System.

Now we could just ask the computer for the answer and boom the answer.

And the people that are arguing about in-accuracies, let me ask you something - do you guys honestly believe that the blogger that you're reading actually bought 250 different cameras and tested them out for a single blog post? Dubious at best.

Are these Bots making searchers search less? Yes, because I default to asking ChatGPT now before Googling.

In the past, I told you guys that the next generation is Tiktoking everything, and not googling, anything, and you guys didn't believe me. But then 2-3 years later, it comes out that the TikTok generation is TikToking and everything and not googling anything so I was right 3 years ago. Head in the sand SEOs are getting blindsided by TikToks becoming Super Affiliates overnight.

I have seen my own life changing the way everything I do cause of AI. It has significantly changed how I code how I search, how I do simple math calculations - it changed how I just use "the computer".

In the simple one year that we've had advancement in AI - it has been explosive. If you don't think so then your head is in the sand again.

So if you think in five years from now that the majority of people are going to be going to Google and clicking 10 blue links for their answer, then you once again have your head in the sand.

YouTube is 19 years old - and you guys barely want to make that jump. 19 years. Instagram is 14 years old - and you guys still refused to get on that. TikTok have been here for 6 years and you guys still refused to see all the seismic shifts happening to your SEO landscape. And now the "answer bot" is here to give people their answers directly - even if it's only 90% accurate, that's more than good enough.

The ultimate question is - do these Bots make users life's easier? Yes.

If it even makes it 5% easier than that's a massive shift in the landscape. And if you don't wake up you'll continue having your head in the sand waiting for 2007 Google 10 blue link search results - which ain't going to happen.

The problem is I used to do deep dive technically queries and the results have been getting worse every year. It got to the point of where I default by going to StackOverflow for a lot of answers. then Reddit, if I am really lost, and ask there. The days of me scrolling to page 2-10 for a more concise answer are gone.

Call it a Chatbot or AI or Robot or just Computer from Star Trek, I don't care.
Does it make my life easier? Yes.
Does it help me get my job done faster? Yes.
Does it save me time? Yes.

We have all of humans knowledge in the palm of our hands everyday. But we have to search for the answers. Like in the old school libraries with the index card system - the Dewey Decimal System.

Now we could just ask the computer for the answer and boom the answer.

And the people that are arguing about in-accuracies, let me ask you something - do you guys honestly believe that the blogger that you're reading actually bought 250 different cameras and tested them out for a single blog post? Dubious at best.

Are these Bots making searchers search less? Yes, because I default to asking ChatGPT now before Googling.

In the past, I told you guys that the next generation is Tiktoking everything, and not googling, anything, and you guys didn't believe me. But then 2-3 years later, it comes out that the TikTok generation is TikToking and everything and not googling anything so I was right 3 years ago. Head in the sand SEOs are getting blindsided by TikToks becoming Super Affiliates overnight.

I have seen my own life changing the way everything I do cause of AI. It has significantly changed how I code how I search, how I do simple math calculations - it changed how I just use "the computer".

In the simple one year that we've had advancement in AI - it has been explosive. If you don't think so then your head is in the sand again.

So if you think in five years from now that the majority of people are going to be going to Google and clicking 10 blue links for their answer, then you once again have your head in the sand.

YouTube is 19 years old - and you guys barely want to make that jump. 19 years. Instagram is 14 years old - and you guys still refused to get on that. TikTok have been here for 6 years and you guys still refused to see all the seismic shifts happening to your SEO landscape. And now the "answer bot" is here to give people their answers directly - even if it's only 90% accurate, that's more than good enough.

The ultimate question is - do these Bots make users life's easier? Yes.

If it even makes it 5% easier than that's a massive shift in the landscape. And if you don't wake up you'll continue having your head in the sand waiting for 2007 Google 10 blue link search results - which ain't going to happen.
Yes, yes, AI is changing things but AI won't disrupt search and replace search. Yes, search engine usage would decrease but the need for search engines in society won't be replaced by LLMs. It'll be like saying that BTC would replace cash. It won't. Likewise, AI won't replace search engines.

Even with "classic" media like print, radio and television, those channels are still going. YouTube did not replace television. Streaming did not replace the radio. Online ads did not replace the grocery store circular. Things are not so bad. It's not like we're a bunch of carriage makers worried about the invention of the automobile. That, would be worst!

Everyone is right.

I also use ChatGPT by default most of the time, because Google has so much trash in it, some of it contributed by members here such as me and you.

There's also a lot, such as current events, opinions and niche stuff, that ChatGPT doesn't or refuses to get right.

The problem is that despite this advantage for Google, they still refuse to take it. Literally, it would be very simple to just dial up the "unique factor" x "links" and I bet that the results would be way better than now. Search didn't have to die so soon, but I guess for political reasons it will have to. Back to running a forum with free speech, that's where people will be going again.

Even with "classic" media like print, radio and television, those channels are still going. YouTube did not replace television. Streaming did not replace the radio. Online ads did not replace the grocery store circular. Things are not so bad. It's not like we're a bunch of carriage makers worried about the invention of the automobile. That, would be worst!

You are missing several pieces of the puzzle. Everything you mentioned above started declining almost immediate and has continued to decline when something better comes long. So my question is when do you plan on getting off the bus - at the bottom - like the YellowPages/PhoneBook guys? I guarantee you somewhere on Earth there are still phonebooks being printed - without a doubt. But how are the eyeballs AKA attention to that medium?

Let's start with print - Newspapers - the number of daily newspapers:

Sf1tBEq.png

Note the internet got here in about 1992 - like mass adoption with AOL and such.

Here is the cross over in terms of Advertising dollars:

tbROLnZ.png

A single company has bested a whole industry. When new technology comes old tech starts declining rapidly.

When TV got on the scene, Radio listening started to decline in the home. Are there still some people that have a radio playing in their house - yes of course. But you may not remember this - I surely don't because I wasn't around - in the 1950s after dinner people would sit around the radio listening to the latest Gunsmoke and imagine what was going on with the characters.

When TV came onto the scene the very first ADs were simple an image, with a radio voiceover - they didn't bother to even have the image animated cause it was so new.

TV took over entertainment from Radio. Magazines started to decline around this time as well. Now the only time people listen to radio is when they are driving to and from work - definitely not after supper. With their decline so did their AD revenue. This was LONG before Spotify, long before even CDs. Back when cassette tapes were in the cars, radio was still on it's death decline. But there are still some radio stations - but a lot less.

When you have these new technologies that disrupt the attention of consumers with a new way - the old way ALWAYS declines and continues to decline.

Let's look at TV:
yrF8DxI.png

Is that growing or declining? Youtube didn't do that decline, the internet itself did. The amount of people "cutting the cord" has only accelerated during Covid. I don't remember the last time i has the physical cable to connect my TV to the wall outlet, I just get my TV from APPs on my Xbox.

Is there going to be people typing in their keyboard into a search bar in 5 years? Yes. Just like there is some grandma in the old country still playing her radio in the kitchen while she makes pasta from scratch. Is that your target audience? Probably not.

The reality is the search audience is shrinking and will continue to shrink. Google will put more and more ADs to keep their time on site high, therefore reducing traffic to organic SEOs. And they were smart they BOUGHT one of the next generations of technology by buying YouTube. Now they have a new avenue to the future of entertainment.

But for the SEOs - I have to ask how long until you guys start exploring other channels simple out of a survival instinct?

If all these new technology keep eroding the "old" techs, why aren't you continuously exploring new ways to get the attention of your audience to your brand are you going down with the ship like the phonebook guys?

Let's say the Metaverse catches on - there are going to be billions of people in this fantasy world experience, generating revenue from In-Meta APPs new ways of revenue - like the iPhone did to APPs in the mobile space, and you SEOs are going to be what - trying to rank in Google - on a computer? IRL? Missing massive new opportunities cause "Google is still around" - for you grandma?

Learn to Code or Learn to Dance on Tik Tok.

Those will be the only two choices going forward.

Then in a decade or so, AI will also code, then there's only dancing and only fans left.

Learn to Code or Learn to Dance on Tik Tok.

Those will be the only two choices going forward.

Then in a decade or so, AI will also code, then there's only dancing and only fans left.
The AI influencers are already getting onlyfans accounts (or whatever that competitor is - I forget which one 'she' signed up for - famous pink hair 'girl' lol).

The latest from @SmokeTree:

I wonder if you guys will notice what we noticed...

You are missing several pieces of the puzzle. Everything you mentioned above started declining almost immediate and has continued to decline when something better comes long. So my question is when do you plan on getting off the bus - at the bottom - like the YellowPages/PhoneBook guys? I guarantee you somewhere on Earth there are still phonebooks being printed - without a doubt. But how are the eyeballs AKA attention to that medium?

Let's start with print - Newspapers - the number of daily newspapers:

Sf1tBEq.png

Note the internet got here in about 1992 - like mass adoption with AOL and such.

Here is the cross over in terms of Advertising dollars:

tbROLnZ.png

A single company has bested a whole industry. When new technology comes old tech starts declining rapidly.

When TV got on the scene, Radio listening started to decline in the home. Are there still some people that have a radio playing in their house - yes of course. But you may not remember this - I surely don't because I wasn't around - in the 1950s after dinner people would sit around the radio listening to the latest Gunsmoke and imagine what was going on with the characters.

When TV came onto the scene the very first ADs were simple an image, with a radio voiceover - they didn't bother to even have the image animated cause it was so new.

TV took over entertainment from Radio. Magazines started to decline around this time as well. Now the only time people listen to radio is when they are driving to and from work - definitely not after supper. With their decline so did their AD revenue. This was LONG before Spotify, long before even CDs. Back when cassette tapes were in the cars, radio was still on it's death decline. But there are still some radio stations - but a lot less.

When you have these new technologies that disrupt the attention of consumers with a new way - the old way ALWAYS declines and continues to decline.

Let's look at TV:
yrF8DxI.png

Is that growing or declining? Youtube didn't do that decline, the internet itself did. The amount of people "cutting the cord" has only accelerated during Covid. I don't remember the last time i has the physical cable to connect my TV to the wall outlet, I just get my TV from APPs on my Xbox.

Is there going to be people typing in their keyboard into a search bar in 5 years? Yes. Just like there is some grandma in the old country still playing her radio in the kitchen while she makes pasta from scratch. Is that your target audience? Probably not.

The reality is the search audience is shrinking and will continue to shrink. Google will put more and more ADs to keep their time on site high, therefore reducing traffic to organic SEOs. And they were smart they BOUGHT one of the next generations of technology by buying YouTube. Now they have a new avenue to the future of entertainment.

But for the SEOs - I have to ask how long until you guys start exploring other channels simple out of a survival instinct?

If all these new technology keep eroding the "old" techs, why aren't you continuously exploring new ways to get the attention of your audience to your brand are you going down with the ship like the phonebook guys?

Let's say the Metaverse catches on - there are going to be billions of people in this fantasy world experience, generating revenue from In-Meta APPs new ways of revenue - like the iPhone did to APPs in the mobile space, and you SEOs are going to be what - trying to rank in Google - on a computer? IRL? Missing massive new opportunities cause "Google is still around" - for you grandma?
You're preaching to the choir. I've been talking about diversification from search here and here. I'm not saying that webmasters should put their heads in the sand. What I'm saying is that search engines will still have their niche in society, like how radio has its niche of commuter traffic. With that, webmasters can still have their niche within search too, all be it a smaller niche and leaner niche than before.

It just won't be easy money like before, which is why a lot of people will be dropping out. I hate these type of business owners, but here's what I learned from small business owners who have multi-generational family owned businesses or people who've been in business 20+ years:
  1. Keep wages low - payroll ads up so fast.
  2. Keep margins high - higher the margin, the healthier your business.
  3. Keep expenses low and know the value of things- Expenses add up over time. Before you buy anything, discuss it with someone else in the company to avoid buying unnecessary things. The guy I'm thinking of was using the original MacBook Air more than 10 years after release. If you can get it cheaper somewhere else, do. Be relentless with your cost savings. CPA you've worked with for 20 years? New tax SaaS is 25% of his price. Bye. $200/year in registered agent? Nope. Do it yourself. $50/month in Quickbooks? Nope, go to WaveApps for free. You don't have to be cheap in all things. You can still buy a nice house or a lake house, as property values rise. You just have to be sparing with money. I'm glad I have a good role model here, as the guy I'm thinking of is cheap AF. My business partner is Indian, so he's cheap AF too. I hate those people before, but now I appreciate them. Even my parents are cheap AF! <3
  4. Keep a high cash reserve - 2-3 years of operating expenses in a savings account in preparation for a depression will allow you to live through the depression.
  5. Keep your own personal lifestyle low cost - You can live a moderate income and keep the wealth within the company. Your employees won't get jealous and it'll allow your company to survive the lean times.
In summary, search will still be around 20 years from now. It won't go to 0 but a lot of webmaster's businesses will go to 0 when the volume of search traffic decreases due to AI. A lot of people don't have what it takes to survive in a lean environment. I'm preparing to survive the downturn.

I wonder if you guys will notice what we noticed...
That sounds ominous - what'd you notice?

The stammering/hesitation in the voice response? "uh, um"

The food being eaten is an apple? OpenAI coming for Apple's neck?

Enquiring minds want to know...

This is so true.

The best way to tell if it's AI is basically just plagiarism checkers.

That must be how AI checkers work!

Most likely there will be laws that everyone gets paid for the content that is in training sets, but like with class action lawsuits and Spotify etc, this will probably only make you rich if you're a big publication.

The cat's out of the bag, the majority of SEOs are now realizing they've been taken for a ride and A.I. Spam sites are in fact ranking, getting past Google's spam update: AI Spam Sites Beat Google’s March 2024 Spam Update

There are several pieces of the puzzle the author hasn't figured out yet, See Matt Diggity video, but the reality is it's true - A.I. spam is like Spam Gone Wild era for those that know.

And it doesn't look like Google can stop it.

The crazy part is these spammers are SUPER optimizing their on-page SEO to the point the only missing step is powerful backlinks, which they can get away with not doing in the initial run if they are truly churning and burning. The guys are optimizing their images, getting into Google Discovery and everything recommended by white hats.

If they truly get their on-page SEO pristine - well how can Google penalize them? They don't even have the backlink argument.

It's the dawn of a new era.

I watched a video last night where a normie (not an SEO or internet marketer, but someone who just "knows what SEO is") lamenting the downfall of the modern internet...

It went something like (paraphrased)... "[the internet is] almost unusable now. Social media is full of shills... You google anything and you can just tell right away it's an AI article."

We can all rank the AI articles, but regular people are starting to recognize and very much don't like AI content (remember the SI fiasco).

Youtube has an AI video problem and social media in general has a shill problem and people are already becoming wise to it all.

This whole game is about to get REAL interesting...

The cat's out of the bag, the majority of SEOs are now realizing they've been taken for a ride and A.I. Spam sites are in fact ranking, getting past Google's spam update: AI Spam Sites Beat Google’s March 2024 Spam Update

There are several pieces of the puzzle the author hasn't figured out yet, See Matt Diggity video, but the reality is it's true - A.I. spam is like Spam Gone Wild era for those that know.

And it doesn't look like Google can stop it.

The crazy part is these spammers are SUPER optimizing their on-page SEO to the point the only missing step is powerful backlinks, which they can get away with not doing in the initial run if they are truly churning and burning. The guys are optimizing their images, getting into Google Discovery and everything recommended by white hats.

If they truly get their on-page SEO pristine - well how can Google penalize them? They don't even have the backlink argument.

It's the dawn of a new era.
Does anyone have the URL of the ai spam site that’s working so we can analyze first hand?

Back