what's your morning schedule like?

Degree
We all know a productive day starts with a productive morning so how does your day start?

I'll get up at 5:30 shower, go for a run at 6 whilst it's still cool here.
Head into Russian market for some Bai sach chrouk get back have another shower coffee, check my emails and then work through my to-do list I wrote the previous night.

I waste a ton of time in the morning, which is usually the afternoon these days.

My family growing up, their whole thing was to be late for everything. I was constantly embarrassed. Late for work, late for school, late for church, late for appointments, late for everything. It got to the point where the school stopped bothering even getting on to me for being late.

Combine that with the habit of me choosing to wake up as late as possible for either high school, college classes, or work. I was never late, but I would have to jump out of bed, quickly get dressed and hit the bricks running. It was stupid and something I never reflected on but it created a lot of extra unneeded pressure.

I've been working full time from home for probably 10 years now, and that whole time I've taken the philosophy of "I'm not going to rush around in the morning anymore" which has been nice. I'll wake up, shower, drink coffee and browse my regular internet routine, check affiliate accounts, then walk the dog. Then I come back and start working. I tend to let that take about an hour and a half.

I think I've finally gotten that "rebellion" out of my system. I'm more interested in being efficient now, just shaving time off that routine. Shorter showers, hammer coffee while in the shower, set up coffee pot the night before, etc. I might start showering at night instead. Those are silly examples but realistic. Can't really get around cooking breakfast and I don't want to buy pre-made stuff or make a run to fast food or whatever.

The problem with this relaxed attitude is you have to shave that time off your evening, which I need to be using for going to the gym again and riding this spin bike I bought :D . I was doing so good for a while.

TL;DR - I enjoyed the luxury of not having to rush around for like 10 years. It's not a waste of time but you sacrifice that time off of your evening down-time.

I get up around 10am, because I stay up late, cause it fits better with my cognitive deficits.

Then I grab a cup of coffee as the first thing. Usually from the Nespresso machine, because of convinience. During the day, I either get more Nespresso or I make a french press, which is probably the best tasting coffee imo, unless you're a legit barista. If I have neither, I get instant coffee, which I used to drink for years, but honestly it can't compete with the Nespresso machines now. I plan on buying a small 200 usd real espresso maker. You can tell I'm planning a coffee authority site in the future. Already bought the domain. I like coffee.

Then I get the pain medication for the day, usually being with OTC, then change to an opioid depending on "which type of day" it is. I usually take an opioid in the early afternoon and the effects wear off around late evening, which is sort of a "comedown", which fits well, with gearing down for the night. I rarely take an opioid first thing in the morning, only if I have en appointment and I feel like shit from poor sleep, which happens often.

I then decide if I want to work from home or not. Usually in the dark part of the year, I work from home. In the summer I work from cafe, library or cowork space. If I work from home, I work at a desk, unless I feel like shit and need to lie down, then I work from the sofa or even bed.

With a cup of coffee and pain meds, I am ready to go. I usually read the news, check social media and such while I drink coffee. Maybe check the sports page. Check Reddit replies and such.

Then I check my podcast list for interesting stuff. I like to listen to talk radio as well for about 1 hour at noon. Gets the linguistic centers of the brain working. I usually listen to business podcasts during workouts and transport.

Then I work for 2-3 hours straight and try to tackle larger tasks for the day. I begin to feel cognitive decline around that time. Then I usually just quit, eat, work out and do some work in the evening. I usually eat LCHF lunch, something like eggs, salmon and avocado. I prefer that grain based lunches, which I find cause glycemic crashes.

My morning schedule is prob later than others.

For one, I don't believe in the "early bird gets the worm" mentality. Maybe if you are forced to live a 9-5 life that works a day job ( this is not a knock on that ) it is good advice, but since I don't confine to those restrictions I decided my 24 hour days start at around 9am instead of before. Which means I also stay up later than most people to complete my custom 24 hour days.

But I tend to get up and jump straight into work.

I bypass food and coffee and anything else. I typically get up and check email and instant messengers to see if any fires sprung up and also look at KPIs for different projects to make sure things are all going to plan. This takes about an hour.

If KPIs are off or fires in email/messengers, I jot it down and THEN I brush teeth or eat or get a drink and shower, etc.

This "break" helps me mentally think about what is next.

For example, if a bunch of fires in email OR KPIs are off on projects, this break helps me think about what I need to do. I know I have 2 fires with a client, or that a project is behind on KPIs today.. so while munching on breakfast or in the shower I can think about how to handle it and what to check.

I allow myself time to think about it to prevent knee jerk reactions or wasting time on the wrong strategy. My brain will work on it sub-consciously too.

Then I jump back into work and solve the fires ( if any ). I then proceed to my normal tasks for the day I had planned.

If no fires, I jump right into my tasks I had planned.

I spent about 3 hours doing that and take a lunch break. This generally involves me leaving the house and I break for about 2 hours.

Then it's back to another 3-4 hours of work before I break again. Most times this will be for a nap.

After a nap, its another round of 3-4 hours of work before I start to wind down.

My most productive time is in the morning and it's also the time that's hijacked the most (I work a 9 to 5 and when your boss wants to have a meeting, well...). I also HATE getting up in the morning (once I'm up, I'm good, but that first part of getting out of bed is the worst).

I roll out of bed, get ready as fast as possible and head off to work. I check my email for VIPs (my boss, their boss, a few other important people). If I've received nothing, I start executing on my to-do list that I created night before, starting with the hardest items.

The key for me is keeping distractions turned off. That means ignoring phone calls, emails, pop up chat boxes, unless it's from a VIP'er. My ability to grind through mind-numbing corporate activities as the day goes by gets harder and harder as it gets closer to exit time, so it's important for me to get through the tasks I hate first. Everything else seems easy by comparison and it's great to spend your last hour at work checking off like 20 things, when your first 5 hours you only got one thing done.

Once I head home for the day, I immediately go to the gym, then have dinner and jump into the fun part of my day, working on my website. I'm usually feeling reinvigorated after the gym and some food that I'm able to put in a solid 2-6 hours of work, depending on when I get home.

Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail.
~Ben Franklin

The last thing I do is plan out what the next day will look like and identify the 1 or 2 (no more than 2) things that are non-negotiable to either get done, or get through the "mini-goal" I've determined is important to complete. Yes, I schedule fun time too.

Rinse, repeat, do what others are unwilling to do. It's helped me become highly successful in my corporate life.

That being said, if anyone has any actionable tips on how to not to hate getting out of bed in the morning, I'm all ears.

That being said, if anyone has any actionable tips on how to not to hate getting out of bed in the morning, I'm all ears.

What I do is have a series of alarm clocks that go off in succession. One is my phone on the bed side table. By the time I'm trying to fall back asleep, the one on my dresser goes off, which I have to get up to turn off. Then the one in the bathroom goes off.

At that point, by the time I'm peeing I remember the 5 second rule by Mel Robbins. Any bad decision I want to make, if I just wait 5 seconds before acting on the impulse, it'll pass and I'll make the good decision.

At that point I hit the kitchen and swig some orange juice to get some glucose for my pea brain, then down a good 12 to 16 ounces of water, then I'll pour a cup of coffee I set up the night before. Once these three liquids are coursing through my veins and I'm sitting at the computer instead of in bed, I'm not at risk of ending up back in bed.

Wake up 8am
Everbody Poops -30min read the economist/times on newstand kindle
Meditate 15 minutes
Workout 45 minutes at home
Breakfast while listening to industry podcast 30 min
Shower/shave/etc - 30min
Plan day/write 500 words - 15 mins
Start on "the one thing" The one thing that I can do today that will make everything else easier or more profitable in my business. I dont check email, have meetings with my employees or do anything before I pump this one thing out.

A great book on morning routines is miracle morning you should check that out

5am get up, make coffee and start scheduling pins
6am dump and a quick wash
6:15am drive 30 minutes to work
6:45am start putting outlines together for personal projects (thank goodness for Google Docs)
8am rest of team start getting into the office so switch to corporate mode

What I do is have a series of alarm clocks that go off in succession. One is my phone on the bed side table. By the time I'm trying to fall back asleep, the one on my dresser goes off, which I have to get up to turn off. Then the one in the bathroom goes off.

At that point, by the time I'm peeing I remember the 5 second rule by Mel Robbins. Any bad decision I want to make, if I just wait 5 seconds before acting on the impulse, it'll pass and I'll make the good decision.

At that point I hit the kitchen and swig some orange juice to get some glucose for my pea brain, then down a good 12 to 16 ounces of water, then I'll pour a cup of coffee I set up the night before. Once these three liquids are coursing through my veins and I'm sitting at the computer instead of in bed, I'm not at risk of ending up back in bed.
Man, this might just be the most helpful post I've read on getting out of bed. Getting out of bed has always been a problem for me. For some reason, I thought that you weren't struggling with this (with all your superhuman productivity :tongue:).

Kudos for including all the details in there. I'm getting an alarm clock for my bathroom ASAP.

I'm currently experimenting with having a cup of cold coffee next to my bed in the morning. Today it didn't stop me from falling back into a daydream, so I guess I've gotta make it stronger. Caffeine pills are also an option.

Also turning off the phone for the night to avoid the brainless scrolling in the morning. And using something else for alarm - e.g. watch, alarm clock, etc.

There are also alarm clock apps for your phone that make solve a puzzle or shake the phone X number of times to turn off the alarm. I've experimented with those before, but more often than not I'd just end up shaking the phone for 120 times and then going back to sleep.

I'll share my morning routine as soon as I have it nailed down.

Man, this might just be the most helpful post I've read on getting out of bed. Getting out of bed has always been a problem for me. For some reason, I thought that you weren't struggling with this (with all your superhuman productivity :tongue:).

Kudos for including all the details in there. I'm getting an alarm clock for my bathroom ASAP.

I'm currently experimenting with having a cup of cold coffee next to my bed in the morning. Today it didn't stop me from falling back into a daydream, so I guess I've gotta make it stronger. Caffeine pills are also an option.

Also turning off the phone for the night to avoid the brainless scrolling in the morning. And using something else for alarm - e.g. watch, alarm clock, etc.

There are also alarm clock apps for your phone that make solve a puzzle or shake the phone X number of times to turn off the alarm. I've experimented with those before, but more often than not I'd just end up shaking the phone for 120 times and then going back to sleep.

I'll share my morning routine as soon as I have it nailed down.

Try to get one of those wake-up light alarm clocks. I've found they really help me wake up.

Also, keep a tall glass full of water beside your bed and drink it right after awaking. I don't know exactly why but this immediately stops any grogginess and gets me ready to start the day.

At least it will make you pee soon and you will be out of bed.

Sleep wise: For better sleep, valerian root or melatonin help a lot. My quality of sleep has improved significantly and I wake up much better rested than I used to. Another thing I can't live without are ear plugs. Thing for $1 can improve your quality of life beyond recognition. Best thing ever invented after a flush toilet. Try it, get used to them for a couple nights and you will never go back.

And to fight off the initial groginess, as already mentioned, water helps a lot and sugar too. I always have a pack of jelly sweets on my table, because I am sugar addicted fat fuck. :smile: So I chew on few of those after waking up and I am feeling less shit straight away.

3a-4:30a - toss and turn, hoping to fall back asleep.
5:30a - give up hope of falling back asleep. read, pray, prepare for day.
6:30a - alarm, get in shower, off to work.

Sleep wise: For better sleep, valerian root or melatonin help a lot. My quality of sleep has improved significantly and I wake up much better rested than I used to. Another thing I can't live without are ear plugs. Thing for $1 can improve your quality of life beyond recognition. Best thing ever invented after a flush toilet. Try it, get used to them for a couple nights and you will never go back.

And to fight off the initial groginess, as already mentioned, water helps a lot and sugar too. I always have a pack of jelly sweets on my table, because I am sugar addicted fat fuck. :smile: So I chew on few of those after waking up and I am feeling less shit straight away.

I never liked Melatonin, if you wake up in the night like I do. Can feel really groggy. Earplugs are good. I recommend the swimmer silicone ones, because they fit outside your ear, not inside. It's not a good idea to have something in your ears every night.

I never liked Melatonin, if you wake up in the night like I do. Can feel really groggy. Earplugs are good. I recommend the swimmer silicone ones, because they fit outside your ear, not inside. It's not a good idea to have something in your ears every night.

Yeh, after few days of giving melatonin a try, I can say it doesn't work for me well. I got pretty weird dreams, wake up too often during the night and all in all feel like crap. Valerian it is for me.

And well, I've been using earplugs for maybe a decade now and it's not really a problem. But you need to clean your ears pretty often, ideally with some liquid spray which dissolves the ear wax.

Wake up 5ish or earlier. Meditation, coffee, a 5-10 minute youtube video, upload it. (Sometimes 5:30 morning basektball) After that, I'll either leak or write first, depending on the day of the week.

9:30 am - Wake up and prepare to join the daily standup at around 10pm
10:30 am - Take a shower
10:40 - 11:00 am - Prepare for work, get my things ready for the day
11:00 am - Head to work

I feel that I'm wasting valuable time in the morning.

I love my weekend mornings. I spend M-F working construction, and we start crazy early (6am). I live far enough away that my usual alarm clock is set for 4:45. I get home by 4 on weekdays and want to write a bunch / code my site, but I'm usually beat and lucky to get a productive night.

Weekends are a different story. I LOVE my weekend early mornings and wish they could last forever. I wake up early (cat usually wakes me up), some days 5, some days 7. It's funny I remember staying up late years ago, gaming, drinking rockstars, never thought I would be a "morning person". Being forced into the early schedule turned me around 180 degrees. I actually like the weekly schedule even if I don't love my job, no hustle and bustle on a monday morning, I'm up and on the roads before anyone, never have to fight traffic because I start before it, and finish before the 5pm rush.

Anyway I dream a lot of making money from websites and consulting, I've grown pretty skilled at HTML/CSS, JS, Wordpress, Gatsby, hosting, using AWS & Netlify, using VPS's like Vultr and DigitalOcean, I could easily build out some small business websites for quick cash. I need to get on the "sales" aspect of that and build a portfolio to sell to businesses. It's on my neverending todo list. When I finally finish the overall structure and automation of my site, i'll spend my weekend mornings and 1-3 weeknights a week writing content, I have a huge backlog to work on. I feel infinitely more productive on a Sat/Sun morning then I do on a Wednesday night. If I ever get to go full-time at home, i'll probably work 7 days a week on my sites, but work in batches, with breaks in between. I like my mornings, then I do my thing for a while, then come back mid-late afternoon and work into nighttime, with some gaming mixed in.

This is also when I think I'd get the "time" to cold call businesses and start selling web design to small business. (ie: build out a basic 5 page Wordpress site and host it). I'd just feel more comfortable making those calls from the comfort of my computer chair, on a weekday around late-morning / early afternoon, and have the flexibility to drive and show them stuff in person / on a laptop /etc.

5:30 Get up start sprinting, gotta get those six-pack abs before summer.
6:30 Shower and get a coffee, small breakfast if not fasting
7:00 Open Buso to start study and working

Back