What's your fulltime job.. if you have one.

Degree
Hey Everyone

Hopefully a question that's more down to earth than threads on the WF before it all went downhill.

42 here in the UK, going on 21. Love fitness, weight training, sprints, getting better at calisthenics and currently practicing handstands.. age is just a number..

My day job's desktop support for a bank *yawn* you all would all know very well but pigeon holed, looking to get back before the pre Penguin days to change.

Originally got into support to move into a business side of the company as I get paid by a 3rd party but now... to learn Microsoft Excel and have a desktop using that... nooooo way!

Expect many are fulltime with your own businesses? if not, whats your 9-5 slavery?

The idea of working for someone for the rest of my life... no way!

:smile:

I work for one UK SEO agency from home, since I bankrupted with my venture and burned lots of cash. They are lucky to have me, considering how much they pay me, and what value I bring to them, someone on my place would charge easily $10k a month, but I am in no position to be picky, at least for now.

Hi Kakarot

What's SEO like working for someone or an agency?

At 42, the UK SEO Industry here at least seem's ageist.. so went to one interview a couple of years ago and were all like 22 year olds sitting in silence.. was eerie..

I was £40,000 ($40,000 to US members) in debt a few years ago so now sorting my finances out, hope your are getting back on your feet.

I'm a web developer for a big corporation. I live in a latin american country.

I like my job, a lot. Moreover; lots of 'perks' like, work from office as much as I need/can, good medical insurance, a good salary and more.

What I value the most about my job is the chance to learn. Not only about web development, but also how to communicate efficiently with other people.

I'll start my own authority site this year. I'm in the process of changing my mentality and leave behind bad habits that always push me back. I don't want to be a 9-5 slave much longer.

Working for a big finance company doing all the back-end work for investments, superannuation etc. It's really close to home which is great so I don't lose much time in commuting each day.

My day job's desktop support for a bank *yawn* you all would all know very well but pigeon holed, looking to get back before the pre Penguin days to change.
That's what I did previously to my current role and my advice is to build connections and work you're way up ASAP (or out if you are aiming to do SEO/AM from home.) There's lots of people who end up stuck in the same position for years on end and become extremely depressed with zero motivation to better themselves or their life. I got promoted in my first year where as others are still there 6 years later.

I am also a 40 something UK'er and am in the 9-to-5, working in an IT support role too.

Hi Kris. I work for the 3rd party company so could have jumped across but their roles just look utter boring lol but now they are laying people off. SEO/Marketing is my passion so building my online scene and see where it takes me.

Tao - at least we are 9-5 and not on call for 3am like some IT peeps :smile: take it you aren't anyway.. savage

Tao - at least we are 9-5 and not on call for 3am like some IT peeps :smile: take it you aren't anyway.. savage
Yes - never done on-call shifts, apart from the odd night here and there sitting in a server room, restoring from tape or installing new kit. Luckily, these days I can work at home if I like and am in more of a 3rd line support role.

I own a graphic design firm ...I'm a graphic designer creep. To be honest my creativity knows no bounds; fashion, food, candy, sculpture, typography, film, photography, music, chess ...nothing seems safe from my creativity.

Whatever.

I'll push myself to near death for my clients, I believe in them ...they believe in me. When I'm not working with them I'm working with me ... subject matter: love & stopping war.

Dig down ... you will find a way.

Last edited:
I work for a corp as a Digital Marketing Expert.

When I signed on, I was handed all PPC and SEO duties...but since the company doesn't have a front end dev, I've also had those duties dumped on my lap in case small changes need to be done to the site. Nevermind that I haven't actually done any front end coding since 2009, I'm the only one with experience in that area so I was chosen.

I spend most of my time trying to master Adwords and Bing since the company is most concerned about the revenue our paid campaigns are generating. It's also the most fun for me and I've gotten pretty damn good at the PPC game.

SEO is something that I need to get better at, especially since I will need it for my own projects. So I'm spending more time in that area now, learning to master that on the company's dime.

What I've noticed about corporations is something that CCarter mentioned in one of his posts. Companies move at the speed of molasses. Every little thing needs to get approved before you can move on to the next stage. Projects that should take weeks to finish instead go on for months.

Thankfully, that doesn't apply so much to what I do or it would be an incredibly frustrating environment.

Me: mid 30's, Digital Marketing Manger for a UK telecoms. Basically doing everything for their website that I should be doing for my own. Here's my issue with it, after 8 hours a day doing digital marketing I'm feeling quite burned out and can't seem to find the motivation to work on my stuff in my off hours. I need a kick up the ass.

I'm currently in the enterprise-level SEO realm. Previously I was with an agency. Originally I started out on my own, building things for myself that I liked/enjoyed.

I'll say this much, having hands-on experience with a wide range of marketing campaign types, sizes of sites, industries, B2B vs. B2C, etc. can be a great thing for gaining a good perspective on how things work. Things it's taught me:

• Enterprise-level stuff often just works completely different, and often counter to popular "best practices". A lot of it probably due to common behavior among competitors, and it being a bit too risky for algorithms to kill too many innocent bystanders if they were more aggressive.
  • When someone is espousing best practices in absolute terms, it's important to understand the context they're approaching it from, otherwise you might have a really bad time taking that info and running with it. Are they a blogger? Do they mainly work with E-commerce sites? Are most of their results from SEM, with only a paltry sum of organic? This matters, a lot.
  • I would say, the smaller a site is (think blogs, single-writer sites), it may be more effective devoting less time to "SEO", and more time to figuring out how to far exceed your competition's content quality, and OWN your niche's off-site game (social, refferal, outreach, etc.). A good traffic leak can be like a cost-free (except your time) hit of the SEM crack pipe.
  • Don't discount offline-marketing. The more digital things become, you might be surprised just how much success you can have merely by picking up the damn phone and talking with people directly.
  • Having "fuck you" money is priceless. Strive to be beholden to no one. When the going is good, work harder, save more, and work towards achieving the ability to throw up the deuces when stakeholders and owners end up having their heads permanently affixed up their backends.
  • In many ways, in the marketing/SEO/affiliate/etc. worlds I often see a lot of behavior similar to people during the real estate boom during the 2,000's in the US. Crack fiends that thought there was no end in site. Focused on maximizing buying, recreation, etc. Watch out for this behavior.

I work in the property management field but my job is not property management. I work with seniors and the disabled and I'm basically my own boss in my office. My boss(the actual property manager) doesn't know how to do my job and I don't know how to do hers. The BIG bosses are scattered across several states and are so stressed out that they don't have time to micromanage me even if they wanted. I could run my business from my desk if I wanted as long as my work gets done no one would be none the wiser.

I am thinking of starting something targeting the Baby Boomer demographic since I am surrounded by them and deal with the government agencies that cater to them...it just makes sense to go in that direction since I'm already immersed in the industry. I have already reached out to a company whose products that I know are solid from my own personal experience so I am just waiting to hear back from them. Lately I have been going through a lot of personal and professional upheavals but it seems as though things are calming down and I can now focus on my business endeavors. I now have more time to devote to reading the information generously shared on this board over the next several weeks.

Last edited:
Owned stores downtown, but at some point it all went downhill and crashed.

Currently I work at a web agency 15 minutes from home. I really like the job as I do a lot of seo sem for medium businesses.

Working on lead generation websites in the meanwhile.

Owned stores downtown, but at some point it all went downhill and crashed.

I'm interested in knowing what lead to them crashing. Is this something you can talk about?

New laws. We planned our usp during the first years, but laws came in earlier than we expected and drastically more severe then we even imagined. Making the business just like all the other boring stores around.
Even worst, the other businesses that were way bigger than us now he a huge advantage of prices and overall visibility with dozens and dozens of stores.

I thought most people here were SE / 1040

I've never worked for someone else... My only issue right now is catch up on taxes but I love my freedom.

Woudln't trade it for a 9 to 5 EVER

Back