What's the best way to get started and grow a Pinterest these days?

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
So I just started a Pinterest account for the first time, made a few boards and pinned some related content to fill them up.

My question is how would one go about building an account and getting traffic?

Take what I say with a pinch of salt as I'm still figuring out the platform but what's working for me is:

• Consistency of pinning (my stuff and others)
  • Pin and board relationship and relevancy
  • Tailwind Tribes

Traffic isn't anywhere near where I want it to be but I've just done more traffic in a week than I did in the past 6 months through organic.

You've probably already made sure of this but utilising the description boxes of both the pin and the board to attract as much traffic as possible via SEO and the most relevant too. You can also use hashtags to streamline the search process.

I've seen someone suggest that Pinterest's algorithm is equivalent to Google's back in 2007 and that keyword-stuffing remains a viable option. Do I think this is correct? I doubt it. Although the essence of the argument they make is likely correct (there's no way Pinterest's technology is as sophisticated as Google's), I'm sure it's advanced enough to detect basic spamming methods.

I'm very new to marketing on Pinterest myself, I believe consistency has to be the number one factor in getting your pins in front of the right people. Aesthetics too, obviously. Can't have grim pins.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt as I'm still figuring out the platform but what's working for me is:

• Consistency of pinning (my stuff and others)
  • Pin and board relationship and relevancy
  • Tailwind Tribes

Traffic isn't anywhere near where I want it to be but I've just done more traffic in a week than I did in the past 6 months through organic.
Thanks, I'll check out tailwind tribes. Seems like consistency is a big part of Pinterest, see it mentioned in all blog posts about Pinterest etc.

You've probably already made sure of this but utilising the description boxes of both the pin and the board to attract as much traffic as possible via SEO and the most relevant too. You can also use hashtags to streamline the search process.

I've seen someone suggest that Pinterest's algorithm is equivalent to Google's back in 2007 and that keyword-stuffing remains a viable option. Do I think this is correct? I doubt it. Although the essence of the argument they make is likely correct (there's no way Pinterest's technology is as sophisticated as Google's), I'm sure it's advanced enough to detect basic spamming methods.

I'm very new to marketing on Pinterest myself, I believe consistency has to be the number one factor in getting your pins in front of the right people. Aesthetics too, obviously. Can't have grim pins.

How do you guys build up your followers? Do you use a follow/unfollow method in the beginning or?

I've been using Tailwind for scheduling and Tailwind Tribes have been super useful as well. I also run Ninja Pinner only for following my competitor's followers. Seeing some good results but most of the traffic spikes come from shares from my tribes.

Kevin from this forum wrote a little blog post for tailwind in 2017, def follow what he suggests as its a good basis for getting the ball rolling. Check it here: https://blog.tailwindapp.com/pinterest-marketing-skeptics/

Depending on your niche Pinterest is great - i use a combo of Tailwind and Jarvee and so far is working well.

Tailwind makes promotion on Pinterest a viable option for someone who is not otherwise a Pinterest addict. It’s a must.

I’m still ramping up my Pinterest work, but I’ve found that regularly scheduled pinning of about 80% associated content and 20% my content works pretty well.

Make engaging images with text overlays, and stick to vertical images. Horizontal pins never seem to get much traction for me.

Use the description area to write keyword-rich yet natural language copy. And use keywords in your board names.

Tailwind Tribes is helpful, and you can get easy promotion, inspiration, strategy, and even future content ideas from fellow tribespeople. It’s easy to see what is working for your collaborators/competitors, and get ideas for future images or topics.

Also, the new looping pins function is pretty sweet. It allows you to automatically repost your content and hopefully get further views without having to manually decide to repin.

As for followers, my sense is that they are less important than they were a couple of years ago. Pinterest wants to be a search engine, not a social network. I don’t do any follow/unfollow, but I have found my follower network steadily ramping up since I started using tailwind and putting a little effort into making Pinterest-friendly vertical images.

In my experience(I have gotten pin accounts to over 1m monthly views) pin success comes down to consistency and posting to good tailwind tribes.

What has helped me the most is when large accounts have re-pinned my posts via tribes, which caused more big pages to re-pin, which caused it to go viral.

I also agree with the previous poster that followers don't really mean much on pinterest

What are some ballpark figures of what you can make starting out...and what could you be doing in revenue after 1 year?

Definitely consistent pinning. That's what it's all about.

What I've done in the past that's worked ok is publish a lot of list style posts which lend themselves to lots of visuals. Then you create multiple pin images of each item in the list using diff angles/pics of the item.

Post a new pin, linking back to the same post everyday. If you've got a ton of list type posts, you basically have unlimited content for pinning and linking back to your site.

On the pin itself, add some text overlay that helps describe the image or give it context (how to use, etc).

Post 5 pins minimum daily, all of your own content linking back to your site.

The main thing to keep in mind is the IMAGE must be unique for each pin, and the FILE NAME of each pin needs to be unique. But you can keep linking back to the same post on your site. The title and description should be changed up too to include all possible keyword possibilities.

I used to use tailwind and schedule posts to automatically go out for months at a time, but if you've got an hour or so each day to work on it, just make the new pins daily and post em. I found it easier.

As for follow/unfollow Ive always thought that game was basically useless. But using group boards (your own, and getting on others) can help your boards reach more and more people

Pinterest = super underrated, especially in some niches.

They water the shit out of any unique actually edited video you post if you sign up for an ad account.

Instagram re-posts count as unique if you're first and tend to follow similar performance trajectories on both platforms. You can copy old winners.

Reminds me of facebook when they were suckering us all into investing in pages back in the day.
Really easy to build massive exposure atm. Hit it while its hot.

Honestly, the best way to grow is just to post consistently unique content that matches your brand. Group boards used to be the shit but Pinterest is getting ban happy and less easy to unlock accounts. Adding hashtags helps too, but just start with posting your own pins and you'll see how the audience reacts pretty quickly.... It takes about 400k monthly views on an account to really start seeing traffic to a website of any substance.

They water the shit out of any unique actually edited video you post if you sign up for an ad account.

Instagram re-posts count as unique if you're first and tend to follow similar performance trajectories on both platforms. You can copy old winners.

Reminds me of facebook when they were suckering us all into investing in pages back in the day.
Really easy to build massive exposure atm. Hit it while its hot.

New deal. Same shit as before but now its for their stories feature.

Build that free clout, get your glow bux subsidies before they Zuck it up.

Stories are basically free wins until they either pull the subsidy plug or mass adoption competes it down.

Back