Whats the best approach for doing outreach?

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
I've been doing some reading, mainly reading some stuff on backlinko.

Should I just use the templates he provides and tweak it slightly? Or has every other person said the same shit before and the chances of getting a link or slim to none?

Haven't had any success yet

Backlinko's tutorials are basically the same as what everyone else is teaching more or less. You just have to adapt it to your niche and learn how to make little tweaks to the method based on your own trial and error.

My company works with a few of the people that are mentioned in those Backlinko case studies, and I can tell you that the outreach definitely works. Especially the "guestographic" method. BUT, don't expect hundreds of links.

You should expect 1%-5% return on your e-mail outreach. So, for every 1,000 e-mails you send out, you'll probably end up with 10-50 quality links. It may seem low - but these links are extremely high quality and extremely relevant to your topic. They pack a punch.

Backlinko's tutorials are basically the same as what everyone else is teaching more or less. You just have to adapt it to your niche and learn how to make little tweaks to the method based on your own trial and error.

My company works with a few of the people that are mentioned in those Backlinko case studies, and I can tell you that the outreach definitely works. Especially the "guestographic" method. BUT, don't expect hundreds of links.

You should expect 1%-5% return on your e-mail outreach. So, for every 1,000 e-mails you send out, you'll probably end up with 10-50 quality links. It may seem low - but these links are extremely high quality and extremely relevant to your topic. They pack a punch.

That's exactly why I created my infographic :D , so far a link from huffington post, but I never did outreach for that.

Should I hit up more sites like huffington post or would they not respond?

ariannahuffington@huffingtonpost.com

Seriously though, you're unlikely to get a response from them. If you are desperate for huffpost links you could contact some of their writers who operate in your niche.

But you're probably better off reaching out to smalll to medium sized webmasters.

ariannahuffington@huffingtonpost.com

Seriously though, you're unlikely to get a response from them. If you are desperate for huffpost links you could contact some of their writers who operate in your niche.

But you're probably better off reaching out to smalll to medium sized webmasters.
Arianna, you say. Could try work some of my Built magic.

But basically I just thought links that would make my site much stronger than links from John Does blog. Maybe I shouldnt be thinking like that

It all boils down to a numbers game.

Write 100 emails, maybe get 10 mentions.
The more links, the more power.

::emp::

@emp That's amazing! Can you share your script or an example of it? And subject line. I don't think 10% of ppl even open my emails lol so I need to know the secret sauce haha!! Thank you :smile::smile:

I've done tons of manual outreach. The #1 factor leading to success, BY FAR, is just doing it. Tons of emails. Use the Backlinko templates, tweakeds to match your content. And add just one thing in there that shows you read the person article or have enjoyed their previous work.

You don't need to get super creative about it, though that helps. Just get that shit out there. Tweak it as you go.

The templates out there are bottom of the barrel in their effectiveness. The people passing those around don't know how to write one, so they're sharing the same basic template, which lack any serious persuasion.

Once your content that you want links to is on point, it's all about psychology.

Here's the situation... you don't have any authority, which is why you're asking for links. You've automatically handed all power to the prospect. Authority will bump up conversions though, so how can you communicate authority (by leaning on someone elses), while at the same time insinuating accuracy in your content (providing statistics, quotes) and a need for the prospect's users to read it (fear of consequences, fear of missing out, benefits)?

And prior to that, how are you going to get them to open your email or read your tweet, etc?

And before you hit them with the pitch, you need to establish rapport. How is that done? How do you essentially grease their ego in a way that begins to lift you to their level so you're speaking on common ground?

Starting with a template can give you a framework, but you need to customize it if you want more conversions. And I don't mean ad-lib style customization. I mean actually typing out each one. This is what you should be doing for the high-powered "I NEED THIS LINK" outreach.

I'd filter the rest, the low power ones, write the best generic template I could, and treat it like a numbers game. You'll get a lower conversion rate but you'll automate this and fire off as many as 3,000 email. These aren't as high-stakes as the ones you need to baby, the ones that will make a true difference in your business.

In regards to actual results...

So, for every 1,000 e-mails you send out, you'll probably end up with 10-50 quality links.

The above is very accurate.

Write 100 emails, maybe get 10 mentions.

The above is absolute fantasy UNLESS you're at the stage where you're swinging such a big stick that you don't even need outreach. Even then it's way over-estimated.

Oh wow... I actually corrected the post to say 1000 mails, maybe 10 mentions

On mobile, though so it didn't stick \ send I guess.

I know I'd kill for a 10 to 1 ratio

::emp::

I've had good success with Pitchbox. It is a damn bargain for their current pricing. You can automate/semi-automate things very easily, automate follow up responses on a schedule, script various elements (to auto-import items from the prospect list, helping craft a more personalized email). Best part is, you can manage all of the emails, responses, etc. through the Inbox in the platform. Very cool if you need to delegate to VA's, for example.

There are easier/cheaper/greater bulk ways to go, but the thing I like about Pitchbox is, you can highly personalize a scripted email, increasing conversion potential drastically.

Outreach = sales. You will have to reach out to 100 people to get 4 to 10 conversions. Its just a game of numbers. Offer value. Be authentic and sincere.

Back