What to focus on?

Degree
Hi Guys,

I'm kind of confused what to focus on, in regards to making money? Right now i'm testing a parasite, but I want to set up some other properties. I'm thinking about making a short-term site to test things on, and the long-term site to grow and make money. When you first started out, what was the most important thing you focused on/ where do you wish you focused more on? Thanks.

@seogeek

This thread kind of talks about what you're asking about:
https://www.buildersociety.com/threads/a-birds-eye-view-blueprint-for-newbs.57/

Also this one:
https://www.buildersociety.com/threads/building-an-online-business-where-do-i-get-started.126/

They actually talk to your points very specifically, about starting a short term and a long term site, and also how to generally just get a feel for the entire field so you actually know what direction to go. It's hard to know when you aren't familiar with the whole thing. That was my takeaway from those threads. Try to get familiar with everything, but not master them. Just know what's there first.

If I could go back to when I was first getting started, the one thing I wish I could do is pick one long-term project that really interests me and built it up slowly. No spam, no aggressive SEO at all, just posting when I feel like it and using it to learn, not doing anything definitive.. just continuing to coast with it. It comes back to a quote that @DDixon brought up "A year from now, you'll wish you started a year ago..." If I had that long term property being built up all this time, it would be an absolute Goliath by now.

I think it's good to have smaller sites to test stuff on, but maybe have a larger one always going on in the background as well where you can implement the things you're learning without relying on it to start earning right away. You could target much tougher terms and build up an insane authority site over time. Just speaking from my own experience, that's something I wish I had done a lot sooner because you can find shortcuts for just about anything except AGE.

If I could go back to when I was first getting started, the one thing I wish I could do is pick one long-term project that really interests me and built it up slowly. No spam, no aggressive SEO at all, just posting when I feel like it and using it to learn, not doing anything definitive.. just continuing to coast with it. It comes back to a quote that @DDixon brought up "A year from now, you'll wish you started a year ago..." If I had that long term property being built up all this time, it would be an absolute Goliath by now..
This.

Also... go with your gut feeling.

A few years ago, I thought about starting a site about 3D printing. Naaah....
(facepalm)

::emp::

@seogeek

This thread kind of talks about what you're asking about:
https://www.buildersociety.com/threads/a-birds-eye-view-blueprint-for-newbs.57/

Also this one:
https://www.buildersociety.com/threads/building-an-online-business-where-do-i-get-started.126/

They actually talk to your points very specifically, about starting a short term and a long term site, and also how to generally just get a feel for the entire field so you actually know what direction to go. It's hard to know when you aren't familiar with the whole thing. That was my takeaway from those threads. Try to get familiar with everything, but not master them. Just know what's there first.
Very helpful links, thanks!

If I could go back to when I was first getting started, the one thing I wish I could do is pick one long-term project that really interests me and built it up slowly. No spam, no aggressive SEO at all, just posting when I feel like it and using it to learn, not doing anything definitive.. just continuing to coast with it. It comes back to a quote that @DDixon brought up "A year from now, you'll wish you started a year ago..." If I had that long term property being built up all this time, it would be an absolute Goliath by now.

I think it's good to have smaller sites to test stuff on, but maybe have a larger one always going on in the background as well where you can implement the things you're learning without relying on it to start earning right away. You could target much tougher terms and build up an insane authority site over time. Just speaking from my own experience, that's something I wish I had done a lot sooner because you can find shortcuts for just about anything except AGE.

I had to quote this just to emphasize the immense insight gathered through experience. I agree with this sentiment wholly and think a person would be deemed wise to have tiers of riskiness in their business plan, with one tier being at the absolute bottom that takes on zero risk, but is the site that where all of the lessons learned get implemented for eventual world takeover. Having one safe site that you can be passionate about and love and hold and squeeze forever also helps you have a target for attachment, which lets you play in riskier realms without being overly concerned about perfectionism, completionism, lasting results, and all the other shit that holds us back in business at times.

@thehobbster
Awesome reply. I really like this. Honestly, I think I somehow missed this piece of the puzzle.

@thehobbster
Definitely. Having a solid (earning) foundation that is not at risk of getting destroyed in the next few years is an awesome feeling. Even if the money it brings in isn't enough to live on, it will still provide a springboard for aggressive plays in separate projects. And I mean completely separate, don't risk your foundation.

Back