What is the re-sale value of website content?

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
Let's talk Wirecutter style review content only, not viral or news content.

Content in itself, provided it's decent quality, will have some resale value, regardless of it is on a website or not. If you have a website with 100.000 words content, someone will buy that content.

Does this mean, that when calculating the payback time of content, that you should subtract a potential resale value from that content?

Order cost: $200
Resale value: $75
Actual cost: $125

Does this make sense analytically?

How would you calculate resale value, do you have empirical or anecdotal value?

Does this make sense analytically?

No, I don't think so. The resale value of content is immaterial and irrelevant if you're not going to sell the content.

And when you go to sell the website, nobody cares about the value of the content. A new valuation variable comes into play, which is profit per month (and time required to maintain and grow the site).

You can calculate the value of the content based on what you paid someone to write it, if you must. That's the value of it based on the only thing that matters at first, which is a money transaction. The free market decided the value when you paid for it.

Once it starts earning money, though, the valuation shifts over to what it's actually earning and not what it costed.

Unless you're an SEO wizard and can take that same content and dump it on an already-earning website, then maybe you'll value it higher, but I wouldn't tell the seller that.

I don't think "resale value" should factor into whatever calculations you're attempting to create, personally.

Only way I would buy existing content from another site is if it included a 301 from the previous URL it was posted on

Interesting proposition there cowboy.

This is a little off-topic but it is something I'm curious about- do people sell/purchase websites just based off traffic? From what I've seen, most people buy websites that are already earning money via. affiliate marketing, ads, etc. However, if a website was getting 1000 visits (or however many visits) each month, how would this website be priced for selling?

This is a little off-topic but it is something I'm curious about- do people sell/purchase websites just based off traffic? From what I've seen, most people buy websites that are already earning money via. affiliate marketing, ads, etc. However, if a website was getting 1000 visits (or however many visits) each month, how would this website be priced for selling?
All the time.
Its sorta common.
Brands monitor the serps with really expensive bag man software (or if they're smart serp woo) and start hitting you up when you build up media footprint that starts showing up all over their niches keywords.

Sticky brands with legit traffic are pretty valuable but the number of people who actually build the real thing is kinda low.
Defensible brand or even keyword ranking turf is a scarce commodity.

If you put out a template that works, the tail effect is usually a bunch of fuckwits with competitive spy tools and a per word content budget trying to replicate you. The opportunity quickly becomes swamped if any of them are good. In competitive niches, your landing pages and content may as well just be templates for your competition. People fight for money streams. Big keyword rankings are big money streams. You can't expect to just own a ranking for ever.

Back