What is the least relevant expired domain you would repurpose?

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
I am looking to expand into .co.uk and .com and I want to get a headstart with an expired domain.

I think it would be unlikely that there's a great domain in my specific niche, so the question is, how much off target can you go, to still get the good value of the links and authority?

Is there any best practise for this?

In my opinion, if you can't go directly relevant with perfectly relevant backlinks, your best move is to broaden out in scope, rather than a horizontal move to a similar niche.

Examples might be that you want to build a basketball site, but you can't find a basketball domain. You can find a Baseball domain (obviously not relevant) and you can find a Team Sports domain. I'd go for the latter.

Another example would be that you want to create a site about gardening but can't find a domain, but you can find one about yard maintenance. I'd rather jump all the way up to a Lawn & Garden domain than just lawn.

I think of it as concentric circles. The domain has to encapsulate the niche you want to work in or it won't pan out relevancy wise:

fv0STYb.png

I can't believe I just wasted the time making that but I felt I wasn't explaining it correctly with words.

Though there are neighbor niches that belong in the big vertical, I think you're better off expanding outwards. It also gives you room to grow later (or for your potential buyer to see room for growth).

Depends on what you plan on doing with the domain.

If you plan on building a company that'll be around 40 years from now, go with a brand name.

I wouldn't even bother with a domain name that isn't branded.

Depends on what you plan on doing with the domain.

If you plan on building a company that'll be around 40 years from now, go with a brand name.

I wouldn't even bother with a domain name that isn't branded.

Sure, I'm just not too fussed about what that brand is.

I think Expired domains will be a no go from here on out (at lease as far as 301 redirect to another domain), after recent algo changes in the last couple months.

@bernard My most unrelated expired domain is an ex resort in Japan. Good links but 70% of the anchors are in japanese. I've bought it for a test but ended up ranking really good. It was not affected until now by updates.

I'm ranking for medium difficulty keywords on the auto niche.

Lots of expired domains took a hit with the recent update and auction prices are getting ridiculous.

Other than that it almost seems to be totally random. I see former general news sites being successfully re-purposed and now ranking for male enhancement products while domains that were rebuilt in exactly the niche they used to be in gain no traction at all.

It used to be a shortcut when auction prices were low, now it's a gamble that's often not worth the money.

Back