What is the actual breakdown of organic clicks in the top 10?

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
Anyone have any updated stats?

I mostly do affiliate review type content and I have a strong suspicion that it's practically meaningless to be outside the top 3 for most keywords. And in many cases, be Featured Snippet or 1 or be gone.

I also run ads for some of these keywords and that's why I can see just how many more clicks are available for paid traffic, but where not even a trickle makes it to say a 7th ranking.

Personally this makes me want to move into PPC where I can hit an instant 2-3x return on good keywords, where as to hit the top 3 organic for the same keyword would mean spending maybe $3-5K in links.

Is this different for info searches?

I mostly do affiliate review type content and I have a strong suspicion that it's practically meaningless to be outside the top 3 for most keywords. And in many cases, be Featured Snippet or 1 or be gone.

If you are looking at the main keyword and you are not ranking in the top 3 but on first page - you are most probably ranking for other long tail keywords in the top 3. Even though long tails get less traffic, some of those keywords get higher conversion rates, etc.. so its not all bad.

Ahrefs estimates traffic percentages for keywords based on your position, so you might want to run a few reports there.

Personally this makes me want to move into PPC where I can hit an instant 2-3x return on good keywords, where as to hit the top 3 organic for the same keyword would mean spending maybe $3-5K in links.

Look at your organic conversion rates for that money page (since you won't be able to see the exact conversion rate for the keyword, cuz of secure search and all that). Use that conversion rate as a rough baseline.

Now, when you run paid ads and since you can control everything with paid ads (keywords, location, ad text, landing page, etc..) you should be able to get AT LEAST a 2x higher conversion rate.

Then, figure out what your average commission rate is for that money page. Say it's $100 on average (IF SOMEONE BUYS). Based on that, set a budget to test with and run your keywords for like 1 - 2 days.

After 1 - 2 days, look at the CPC's and turn off keywords with high CPC and low commission rates.

All that being said, I would highly recommend you do retargeting ads in conjunction with your paid ads, so that you can keep your site on top of mind with users that left.

I have not tested this out, but its on my to-do list and that is the way I was going to go after it.

And if you are looking for SEO stats. This article The State of Link Building Report 2022 has some great data.

Back