What is Local SEO content?

Degree
Regular content I have a decent grasp of... such as if SERP #1-3 have between 1500-2000 words, I just create a 3000 word article with more pictures and videos attached.

But for LOCAL SEO content, a lot of the pages barely have any "content" sort to speak. Do I just turn it into a "regular content" page? Though that doesn't quite seem like that's how it works.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is: For example you're a plumber in chicago with KW being chicago plumber and plumber chicago.

What exactly are you trying to write about?
Do you just write about all the plumbing services and try to rank for each plumbing keyword?
- Chicago sink clog
- Chicago bathtub clob

Would you just write about sink clogs and bathtub clogs and try to rank for those? Though, what makes it rank for a CHICAGO sink clog or a CHICAGO bathtub clog? Do you just add in some google driving directions linked to some keywords in the article?...

Hopefully I kind of make sense... Thanks ahead of time!
*I end every single blog post with a link back to homepage*

Last edited:
If you are trying to rank for a "local" keyword like plumper chicago. You are essentially competing for a spot in the MAP.

The MAP only shows 3 locations which are usually either closest to the user (and have high rating + high number of reviewers) OR Google will just assume your location and show the most relevant service providers there are in that area (they pull most of the data from GMB listings).

Also, local users don't usually type in the city when they look for local services. They would USUALLY have their location turned on, or Google already knows where they are located so users would USUALLY type in just "plumper" and not "plumper chicago". This is not the case for everyone. Just wanted to make sure you understand.

Most users will most likely CALL one of the providers from the MAP listings or expand the map to check for other providers in the area and then call the one they feel most comfortable with (usually high number of reviews + high rating).

My point is, it would be much more beneficial for YOU and your client to rank in the MAP rather than organic listing for local services like plumper, roofer, etc.. The client will get many more leads and you will hopefully make more money.

So, in your case, I would still create a city specific page like for plumper chicago and then link to that page from your GMB listing.

There are obviously a lot more "tricks" to increase your chances of rankings, which you can find by looking at what your competitor is doing.

Thank you, I'll see what happens in next 2-3 months. I may just hire a local SEO service if I can't figure it out.

I love local SEO and have done a lot of it over the years. Still do quite a bit for a local home service type business I own.

To piggyback on @wikibum's post, yes maps are huge in local, especially for "emergency-type" transactional services like clogged drains, locksmiths, garage door repair, etc. You can bolster your on-page and include related services which can help your map rankings. Sometimes if you do a local search you'll see on the maps where Google says "website mentions: clogged bathtub."

You can also create informational type pages, like "How to unclog a slow drain." Some people may read it thinking that's something they want to tackle, but then change their mind and call you. Worst case scenario the content helps your overall topical relevance.

With all that being said, there is still a lot of opportunity in the organic SERPs depending on the business. In our business, we sell a very visual product and our average project size is $20K+. A lot of people do research before picking up the phone especially before spending that kind of money. They will browse your portfolio, read your content, make sure you're the right fit for their job, etc. We also have a lot of product variations, customizations, and "sub-products." The combinations are almost endless depending on the business and in our industry, there are thousands of KWs I can target just in one metro area.

You can create pages that go after smaller suburbs and neighborhoods too if you are in a large metro area. Google doesn't always show a map pack for smaller areas or certain specialty terms. We get jobs all over town outside of our "maps area" doing this.

There's a lot of low-hanging fruit in local, ripe for the taking. Most small businesses won't put in a lot of extra effort to drive traffic.

@UFO when you say create a page like "how to unclog a drain" would you throw in a lot of mentions for the CITY that you're in or would a general content page be sufficient in that?

For Chicago Plumber, I understand that Google needs to understand that you're 1) a plumber 2) you're located in chicago. Is it enough to just create content about plumbing or does all of the content need to involve plumbing in chicago.

Does the location "chicago" just get satisfied by embedded maps on your site and also the NAP or do you need to continually mention it throughout all of your content?

@JOoa0ky theoretically Google should understand that you are a Chicago plumber from your NAP, Google business profile, citations, content, etc. I still like to add local flair to my content.

I wouldn't go overboard or keyword stuff. Make it sound natural, something like "Here in Chicago we see a lot of clogged drains due to the age of the pipes..."

Then at the end maybe a CTA like "If you need help unclogging one of your drains, contact our Chicago plumbing experts..."

Law firms do a great job of this because laws vary by state so they have to tailor their content that way.

Here's a quick example. I'm located in North Texas, so if I google "can you sue someone for slander" without adding a location modifier here's my result:

9UqV8qn.jpeg

Now, if change my VPN to a Denver server, here's my result:

t680ffK.jpg

The Texas firm doesn't mention a location in the content other than a CTA at the bottom which interlinks to their main location/practice areas page. The Denver firm mentions Colorado law quite a bit and interlinks to legal pages, references, and other location pages for their practice. Definitely interlink too.

@UFO absolutely fascinating!

It's so interesting how the Colorado one has actual "content" on that page but the texas one is super thin and not much on there.

I redid all of my service pages about a month ago to try to incorporate the location into the H1 as well as 2x H2s on each of the service pages. Perhaps I just wait a bit to see what happens?

If I still can't outrank the other guy, do you think I might as well create like a Chicago unclogged drains 5k word guide lol?...

If I still can't outrank the other guy, do you think I might as well create like a Chicago unclogged drains 5k word guide lol?...
This is the diminishing returns area of things, I think. You don't need to worry about getting local traffic for "unclog a drain DIY" if you aren't ranking in the map pack, which is where the hot, targeted traffic is clicking and where the money is. And your content isn't going to be the big battle in the sense that we're used to in the non-local SERPs, as you mentioned at the beginning of your opening post.

Are you appearing in the map pack?
Do you have a Google My Business account?
If you do, is it collecting reviews?
Are you fleshing it out with photos and all that?
Have you built NAP citations on all the main directory sites?
Are you using all the local schema you should be using on your site?

I'm asking if you've done the basics because you're asking what Local SEO content is, so I'm assuming you're not really aware of everything you can and should be doing for Local SEO. The above are some of the very basic things you should be aware of.

Are you appearing in the map pack?
Do you have a Google My Business account?
If you do, is it collecting reviews?
Are you fleshing it out with photos and all that?
Have you built NAP citations on all the main directory sites?
Are you using all the local schema you should be using on your site?
- Yes, I fluctuate between like #2/3 on the SERPs and I do show up in the map pack.
- Yes to GMB
- I've more reviews than practically all of my competitors combined.
- Haven't been the biggest on photos, may try to start posting one every other day or something like that.
- Been using citation services to help me with that.
- I just copied whatever the schema for the #1 guy was

I mean I'm not doing terrible... since I am in mostly the top 3. It just irks me that the #1 guy doesn't seem to fluctuate at all. I'll trade spots for certain KW with the next guy from week to week but the #1 has an iron grip.

Just trying to make sure that I'm doing everything that I can.

@UFO absolutely fascinating!

It's so interesting how the Colorado one has actual "content" on that page but the texas one is super thin and not much on there.
Yeah, definitely some interesting things with local SEO.

Haven't been the biggest on photos, may try to start posting one every other day or something like that.
Photos are CRUCIAL with GMB. Definitely get into a regular posting schedule with photos. Geo-tag them with the GPS coordinates of your location, and around the area you service, or make sure your location is on your mobile phone when photographing. You can also add your NAPW and keywords to the EXIF data. If you have a physical location take photos of the inside/outside of your office, your signage, employees in action, equipment, completed projects, etc. Utilize all the photo categories Google specifies inside your profile. If you can have customers take photos and upload them that's great too, especially with their reviews. Make sure to cover all the bases.

If you haven't used the GMB posting feature yet get into a consistent schedule there too. Add photos, videos, and a solid description to the post and link back to content on your site.

Once you've covered all that you can definitely expand the content on your site for more organic SERP rankings and to try to get your GMB to show for other keywords, if available, but like what @Ryuzaki said a 5k word article would be overkill for local. Link to new pages and topics from your GMB posts, rinse, repeat. Drive home the topical and location relevance.

This is the tip of the iceberg and there are a lot of other cool tactics but it sounds like you're pretty close as it is and may just need a little extra bump.

@UFO I have been posting like 1-3x a week with the GMB feature for the written posts, just not so much the photos. Although I do attach photos to the post.

I noticed that sometimes when I search for a KW with local search intent in the maps... it pulls up GOOGLE POSTS. Blew my mind when I saw that. Since then I've been throwing in a KW in every google post.

Sounds like you're pretty "pro" for the photos. The #1 guy does have a 360 3D walking tour uploaded on his google lol... I should probably get on that...

@JOoa0ky posts are great, we generate leads directly from them for our more "specialty" product offerings and services where the search coverage is thin.

The 360 tours are a great addition too, the more you can do to keep your profile fresh and build it out the better.

@JOoa0ky posts are great, we generate leads directly from them for our more "specialty" product offerings and services where the search coverage is thin.

The 360 tours are a great addition too, the more you can do to keep your profile fresh and build it out the better.
I'll second this from our experience - most people forget to have a page for every single service their client offers. Get lazy and just do 'insect pest control' for their pest control client etc whereas you could do a page for each - bees, ants, beetles, whatever people want rid of. As has been intimated itt Google often figures out just fine what region you're in/returns you to appropriate searchers but your competitors who don't have a page for the specific service often don't show up at all even if they're crushing you in the map for things like 'pest control [city]' etc.

@Steve Brownlie Yes, I have followed Ahref's recommendation of creating pages for KW with local search intent.

Type variations of the same KW into google and see which one pulls up a map pack. Those with a map pack are the KW variation that have the local intent.

Created all pages for all the ones that I can think of that had a map pulled up.

Back