What do you tell people you do?

Degree
My question is aimed at those doing SEO, but interested in hearing anyone's take on this.

With people who understand something about marketing it's easy enough, but what about the family members who are convinced you fill out surveys online, or sell drugs.

Don't really want to show them URLs of actual projects of mine, as far as I'm concerned that's not something that people need to know unless they're looking to buy it.

I've thought about showing competitors sites, or site in a similar but different niche, maybe take them through a flippa listing as an example, going over the keywords the site owner is targeting and what they're doing to go after them etc. But SEO jargon just gonna sound pretentious and fly over their heads anyways.

1. I work online - for my grandma and a similar demographic.
2. I work in digital marketing - for people who are my age.
3. I create blogs - think like magazines, but online. This is if someone is really interested (less than 5% of people).

I think with remote work and tons of people working online, this is no longer a mysterious world - most people ages 20-40 will have at least one friend who is a developer, designer, marketer, social media manager, etc. Just say digital marketing for my own projects. There isn't really a need to overthink this to be honest.

If you want to be really fancy, tell them you run a digital media company.

I just tell people I own a digital marketing agency. It usually doesn't go past that. I used to tell people I work online, but that can land you in some funny conversations. "Oh, like you do that stuff I see advertised on Youtube?", "Like Multi Level Marketing?". Ughhh..

"I'm a secret agent." (This is mostly for when women ask, though)

If they dig further I say either:

1. "I own a video marketing agency."
2. "I help businesses and influencers grow their audience and make more money by helping them create content."

It depends on how old the person is. If they're older, I do "marketing online." If they're younger, I'll give the responses mentioned above.

Honestly, a lot of people (especially women) just try to fill in the gaps on their own. I've been called a consultant, business owner, etc. at different points by different people.

If I'm being honest, I rarely get into an in-depth discussion about my work with people because most of them won't even understand the details and I enjoy being secretive/private about things - adds some mystery.

Don't really want to show them URLs of actual projects of mine, as far as I'm concerned that's not something that people need to know unless they're looking to buy it.
what about the family members who are convinced you fill out surveys online, or sell drugs.
The more secretive you are the more it sounds like some goon scheme.

Nowadays I tell people writer or digital marketer.

If they ask follow-up Qs, most don't understand affiliate marketing, they equate it to MLM like jstover77 said. But they do understand that companies need customers. "It would be like me sending customers to your company and getting a percentage of every sale. But I'm independent and working for all your competitors as well."

Digital publisher

If they ask for sites, I tell them. Used to be uneasy about doing that, but if you are building a brand (which is presumably something to be proud of) then why tf not.

"I make websites"
"Online marketing"
"Internet stuff"
"SEO"

Really loved reading the other replies here as I thought in America and other European countries online work has started becoming the norm and it was very easily accepted there.

---

I live in the subcontinent where it's still pretty taboo to do online work. So, in my country, doing online work isn't an actual job, and people would rather say that this person "sits all day in front of the computer" or consider it more of a hobby. I now kinda feel for those artists who say they're an artist and then they're asked "yeah okay so that's like a side thing right? What do you do for your day job is what I'm asking"

Although I've observed that people are slowly becoming a bit more accepting, there is still the general "my son's gonna be a doctor/lawyer/engineer/solider etc."

I'm pretty introverted so I've only ever dealt with telling my family and 2-3 close friends what I do. I've been doing online content writing for the most part, and also have a blog. I just tell them I'm a writer although God knows I've tried explaining exactly what I do on the blog a bunch of times but it flies over people's head.

---

A small story

When I first started working online I had this habit (still have, but partially) of telling every single detail to my parents and brother. So I used to come up and tell them little things like "I bought a domain today" or "I plugged my domain to WordPress to start a blog" and even "I made X amount of money today" - and proceed to explain what a domain, WordPress, and a blog is.

My parents were at first skeptical and would tell me to do some serious work, but since I was young and was getting good grades at school they never really pushed me on anything and gave me the freedom. So for some time I felt like that kid who draws a shitty crayon drawing and my parents still hang it on the refrigerator door because I'm their son.

Overtime my dad would even make fun of my blog sometimes telling me it's a waste of time and since he's never worked online in his life (he's in the hospitality industry as a hoteleer) and at the same time is highly experienced with dozens of certifications and global experience he claimed that it simply isn't possible to make money online because it seems "too easy" and if it was possible every one would've been doing it.

But, when I started to make some good money and contribute towards the household expenses such as the internet bill, gas bill, and buying some groceries - He became a lot more accepting and genuinely curious to know what it is that I do. This was a good time for me to help out with the family expenses as well since our mom would secretly tell us that our dad was getting super stressed from rising inflation - although I condemn him for the way he hides his stress, I've never once seen him stressed and used to find out through mom that there were days he feared he won't be able to pay for our tution fees, etc. And would be smiling and laughing with us the next day as if nothing happened.

Anyways, I would just sit there and explain for 2+ hours only for him to ask me again every two or three weeks "so like explain to me how exactly it is that you make money? Like I understand the client work but from your blog, what exactly is a blog and how do you make money from it? Do you like get investors or are you partnered with Google? Etc. Or is it something like XYZ's son is doing?"
---

Now, I've just reduced my answer to "I'm a writer and blogger" when somebody asks more, I tell them more.

So if I were to break it down:

To parents: "I write for clients for their websites on different topics. I also run my blog on the side where I also write and earn in dollars (the "dollars" part is essential as the currency favors us here)"

To older brother: Everything right down to the little nuances, he knows exactly what I do and is caught up with the trends - mostly because he's been hustling online since the Ye Ole' Internet - and is someone who I also vent to if ever.

To sister: Same as for parents, but the topic only ever came up once

To friends: "I write online" if they ask for specifics I give em' specifics. They have seen my sites though, but never really the actual work I've done for clients.

To my Grandmother: "I'm a writer working with clients and have my own website that earns in dollars". I've tried explaining to my Grandma in the past what it is I exactly do (we're pretty close since my childhood and I still call her every other week) but I could see her struggle to keep up. So since then I've just called my blog a "website of mine that makes dollars"

Overtime, my parents have become much more supportive and everyone around my circle is also pretty chill with me working online. This is a big thing for me where I'm from, as the culture here is pretty social and community focused, and your choice of career can affect many of your major life decisions like marriage, status, social perception, how well you're recieved by others etc.

The other issue is that parents often compare their children here so it also becomes a "prestige" thing as well, and if you don't have a career worth showing off, what the hell are you even doing ya dumbo? Thankfully my parents don't mind what other people say that much. Just that I'm making good money, am responsible, hardworking, and not doing anything illegal.

As I grow older, I've noticed the best response is something my brother says to anyone who asks him:

"I don't do anything, God gives me money"

He says while his working his ass off for 12-14 hours a day

I just stare at them and say nothing.

People should stay in their lane.

As I grow older, I've noticed the best response is something my brother says to anyone who asks him:

"I don't do anything, God gives me money"

He says while his working his ass off for 12-14 hours a day

I'm leaning toward these kind of responses I think. The people I'm talking about aren't asking from a sincere place, they're asking from the perspective of "Oh you think you're too good for real work huh?".

Typical crab bucket mentality narcissist types I'm coming to realize. It's weird cause it's not like I'm doing anything fancy, or trying to portray myself as being above them or anyone. Just doing my own thing and it's like that's a problem for them lol.

But yeah, normally for most people, "digital marketing stuff". And I'm happy to chat about it with the few whose interest is genuine.

Side Question: anyone find that the benefit of cutting the types of people I'm describing out of your life is massive?

Been going no contact with more people as I get older and it can be pretty hard when you love them, or have a lot of shared experiences growing up etc. But starting to realize that even though I thought I brushed the BS off, it does take some kind of toll that's no immediately obvious.

Realizing more and more it's better to keep company that has your back and isn't looking to satisfy some petty insecurity. Even if that's not many people

Back