What do you guys use for affiliate link redirection in wordpress?

Degree
Hey guys,

As title says, I'm looking for the general consensus of what you guys use for linking to your affiliate links from your site. Back in the day I used to code my own sites and use 301 redirects for affiliate links however with my new projects I am using wordpress (for better sellability in the future).

On some well ranking sites right now I've noticed people using a 307 to 301 to affiliate site chain with "/go/blahblah". Is this some sort of popular plugin that anyone knows of?

Thanks!

You don't want 301 anywhere in that chain of redirects. It means it's permanent and a part of your own establishment, essentially. 302, 303, 307 are what you want. I'm not sure exactly the tech behind them, but I use 302's.

I've got my own system in place, but stuff like Pretty Links can get it done, and I think they offer the option to choose the 300-level option as well.

You also want to make sure you're setting them to no-follow (or it's an incentivized link you technically sold for a chance at making money) and if you use a subfolder like /go/ then set it no no-index and block indexing in robots.txt too.

Definitely, go for temporary redirects (e.g. 302).

If I am going to create a lot of affiliate links (100+), then I prefer to go with plugin "meant for" affiliate links, e.g. https://wordpress.org/plugins/affiliate-links/
Like @Ryuzaki mentioned, it's very convenient to use a "link base" which makes management, blocking, tracking etc. much easier.

plpNJOK.png

However, for websites with less links I prefer to go with a "regular redirection" plugin for more flexibility and control.
Then I just add the link base manually.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/seo-redirection/

Yoast has an okay system if you don't want to use the database (slower) and have the technical know how to set it up. The problem here would be if you have 100's of lines, that could become slow too. I think the best, if you have less than 25 or whatever number, would be to do it in the .htaccess.

Back