What All CMS's Have You Tried?

Degree
What all content management systems have you tried? I've only worked with Wordpress and I find it easy. I like all the themes and plugins. Have you tried any others? I know of Drupal and Joomla and I know there's even more smaller ones. Is there any advantage to Drupal or Joomla over Wordpress or any other for that matter? Do certain ones have certain strengths or weaknesses? I wouldn't mind becoming experienced with more of them just to be able to say that I know them and am familiar. You never know.

Oh wow.

I'll just assume you are talking about web content management systems
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_content_management_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_content_management_systems

Now, to start this off, Wordpress is the small, retarded brother of a CMS.
It was built originally to be a blogging system, and it shows as soon as you try to do more with it.

Full blown CMSes are very, very complex beasts and you'll have to work to understand them.

These are things like
  • typo3
  • eZ Publish
  • Drupal
  • Joomla
  • Mediawiki

Those are very versatile and support almost everything you'll ever want to do with them, but are a bitch to set up. All of them have their own templating language used to harness existing functionality and create new designs and features.

That said, a full fledged WCMS is a waste of time if you don't need all this. If you know exactly what you want to do and it fits into a more specialized framework, use a system for that.

example: eZ Publish can be used to create a store, but you might not want to do that and go for an ecommerce system instead.

One small CMS I like to use is wolfcms.

Very hacky, but this it what makes it very versatile.
Try making a site with 6 different layouts in WP - good luck.

To come back to your original question:
  • wordpress (PHP)
  • umbraco (microsoft.net , not all bad)
  • wolfcms (PHP, one of my favs)
  • tauceti (.net , I was involved in the development, proprietary)
  • xaphran (Java proprietary, now defunct)
  • KMS (using this now, proprietary, Java)
  • eZ Publish (using this now - PHP, a beast)
  • tiddlywiki (not a fav, javascript)
  • mediawiki (PHP)
  • ... and some specialty ones, coded per client
::emp::

@emp, do you happen to know some reliable and useable non-database CMS?

I played around with some, but wasn't impressed.

::emp::

Oh... lol. I just meant the typical blogger style thing. Content based, not stores and wikis and the rest. You know what I meant!

Has anyone ever created a very large content site using no CMS, but just flat file html and images, static everything? Sidebars and all that count, but I just mean so minimalistic that there's no way it's not the fastest thign ever. I'd like to try this if i didn't have to do HTML markup on every single article. Are there any CMS's that don't use databases that help you format articles with WYSIWYG style editors?

@Samwise89 i've built a basic Local lead gen site using a flat-file cms (PhileCMS) and its wicked fast. Has about 4 pages, and about 5-7 images, etc. It was rather easy to through up, took me about a Day of css/html to get it right. I started getting leads within 3 days with only 1 backlink from a wikipedia page and i haven't touched it since. From what I understand, they do have a WYSIWYG editor for it and also some other plugins for Sitemap and Caching as well. I used a basic PHP script for the from and im happy with the speed, after some VPS optimization, etc. Check out this post for speed tests.

I used to raw-code sites 10 years ago.

I realize there is a lot of hate for it here, but I generally just go with Wordpress. I know its bloated. But, I figure if a site grows to the point where I need to consider switching from Wordpress I probably can afford it at that point.

^^ Pico man... www.picocms.org, only thing I recommend now a days. Our Saas's frontend is completely on Pico - blazing speeds... But it might not be for everyone, cause there is no "web editor", you edit your content files then upload them through SFTP/FTP.

Actually there is a Draft (https://draftin.com/) integration, http://www.codeforest.net/pico-cms-and-draft, but I've never tried it. There might be other integrations for web editors as well.

Can comments be handled by databaseless CMS? I guess only an integration with some 3rd party comment system like Disqus can work here. Am I wrong?

If you really want to get custom, then simply editing template with your own solution can work. We use Disqus on our blog, but you can also use Facebook comments as well. You just have to solve the problem for storing the comments- either flatfiles or bring in a database of your own (but that would defeat the purpose of going databaseless). I haven't looked but Pico might have a comment plugin. Again, it is not for everyone.

Back