VPS or Managed Hosting? What do you guys recommend?

Degree
Hello Dears,

I'm currently into VPS Vultr Hosting $12 High Frequency Plan on a Plesk Panel

I'm currently learning the nuts and bolts of this, but it seems complicated. Although of course I'm willing to learn this.

But now I'm confused because a lot are telling me I should just switch to managed hosting like NameCheap hosting.

I plan to add more domains and create sites in this VPS server tho since I know that's possible and that's in the long run less expense rather than having each site on their own plans in a platform like NameCheap

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Josh Saga
xoxo

Any managed hosting I have done is inevitably a let down, even Kinsta and the like. They suck and are expensive. If you are serious about this career take the time to learn it (WordOps for example) and run your own servers.

I use managed vps from Knownhost for my sites for many years already and can't be happier. Their support replies in seconds and solves everything in minutes.

If you are serious about this career take the time to learn it

Doesn't work for everyone.

In my life, i don't have time for everything. I can't know and learn all related stuff i might need, hence i delegate to experts who anyway know stuff 100 times better than i would after months and years of learning. So what's a point.

If you already have this background and experience, this works for you of course.

I use managed vps from Knownhost for my sites for many years already and can't be happier.
Do you pay for Proactive Monitoing and Imunify 360? By the time you add those, you are basically paying the same price as Managed Wordpress hosting. Then you may have to add on Cloudflare since many of those Managed WP hosts also include that now.

I’m with you on this, managing a server isn’t a direct revenue generating activity so it may not be worth it if you don’t already have those skills. You can also do a lot of damage if you don’t know what you are doing.

I personally use:

Runcloud.io @ $15/m + individual $5/m servers from Linode/Digital Ocean/Vultr/Upcloud. As the sites scale you upgrade the VPS.

I can't imagine having to deal with all the technical stuff of running a server.

I left Runcloud due to terrible service. I used WordOps on a Vultr VPS for a while and it was fine, but these days I don't have the time or patience to be tinkering with VPSs anymore.
I currently use Kinsta for all my WordPress sites (clients) and it's been worth it.

I've also seen some good things about WPX on this forum, which is cheaper than Kinsta.

If you have more time than money, a VPS running WordOps is the best bang for your buck.

I left Runcloud due to terrible service. I used WordOps on a Vultr VPS for a while and it was fine, but these days I don't have the time or patience to be tinkering with VPSs anymore.
I currently use Kinsta for all my WordPress sites (clients) and it's been worth it.

I've also seen some good things about WPX on this forum, which is cheaper than Kinsta.

If you have more time than money, a VPS running WordOps is the best bang for your buck.
Kinda funny how things work; I've had nothing but good experiences w/ Runcloud. I've also had terrible experiences w/ Kinsta - Namely scalability is fucking miserable. Nothing like hitting a growth stage on a site only to pay what like $200/m minimum in hosting? Unless you're sitting on a site where you get no bot traffic or random rogue visitors who blast your "visits" on their back-end it's fine (isn't it just GCP?).

You know how it's long been said about PBNs "avoiding bad neighborhoods" or to not have something like C-Class IPs loaded up with PBNs resulting in footprints - It amazes me that people are so willing to have an entire cloud IP (WPX) of ALL SEOs on the same exact hosting. I mean Christ, who needs keyword research when I can find a site hosted on WPX and simply plug-and-chug that IP into Majestic or viewdns.info and get KW research done for me.

https://viewdns.info/reverseip/?host=194.1.147.32&t=1

Holy Tintinnabulation Batman!

Kinsta sucks.

I finally went for the free trial a few months back to really see if they were faster. They couldn't get my sites going (something to do with transitioning to Cloudflare). Anyway I cancelled and noted why, no response. They sent another funnel email asking why I cancelled, I told them again, no response. Making too much money to give a shit (good on them), but they suck.

No one else is more invested in your business than you, and no one will work as hard to host it well/fast as you (provided you are that way inclined and have the time).

Kinda funny how things work; I've had nothing but good experiences w/ Runcloud. I've also had terrible experiences w/ Kinsta - Namely scalability is fucking miserable. Nothing like hitting a growth stage on a site only to pay what like $200/m minimum in hosting? Unless you're sitting on a site where you get no bot traffic or random rogue visitors who blast your "visits" on their back-end it's fine (isn't it just GCP?).
Yeah that's funny, how much traffic were you getting to your site? They charge $1/1000 additional visits over your plan, so you must have been getting bonkers traffic to hit $200/m.
It looks like bot traffic actually decreased for me, their firewall seems to be good.

YMMV with any host/VPS manager, I guess.

Hello Dears,

I'm currently learning the nuts and bolts of this, but it seems complicated. Although of course I'm willing to learn this.

But now I'm confused because a lot are telling me I should just switch to managed hosting like NameCheap hosting.

I plan to add more domains and create sites in this VPS server tho since I know that's possible and that's in the long run less expense rather than having each site on their own plans in a platform like NameCheap

Thanks,
Josh Saga
xoxo
Managed VPS seems better option to me for most folks unless you are technically very sound. Compare the time you spend setting up unmanaged vps vs buying managed for extra bucks. Chosse whichever costs you less considering your time worth too

I also used Vultr with Plesk free version for upto 3 sites and it was quite easy to manage. However, in case of errors I didn't had the skill to manage that server. So, I started using Cloudways with DO and till now I haven't faced any error. i am not saying that they are good...it's just that I haven't yet needed support for any issue that arised. So, I think don't go too pricey on hosting....just get a basic managed VPS

Hello Dears,

Thanks,
Josh Saga
xoxo
I use the$10 monthly bluehost plan for new sites. Once they get above 50,000 monthly pageviews I move them to wpx. Ezoic hosts for free as well if you use they ad services.

I use Digital Ocean and have three sites running on there. I'd say if you're just running Wordpress, then have it managed, but if you're running anything more complicated, then get your own VPS.

I'm a software dev, so I have a custom website running on there in addition to my Wordpress sites.

I use Cloudways which has Digital Ocean ocean or Vultr servers. Literally switched from Siteground and it improved my page speed instantly.

Super easy to set up and migrate too, literally mostly just a few clicks and Bob's your uncle.

Hello Dears,

Thanks,
Josh Saga
xoxo
I use spinupwp and DigitalOcean AMD premium server

I use Linode and spread it to all my site, while technologically, but it will decrease my budget as for the WPX.

I've used WPX for a number of years. If you want good quality hosting and excellent support, I couldn't recommend them enough.

I've also tried out Cloudways recently for a new site too. Got it up and running with the help of some YouTube videos, but haven't really push the resources yet so can't judge how it is when it comes to issues yet.

I'm lucky enough to be grandfathered on ServerPilot's free plan. Using a $10 Vultr VPS in combination with ServerPilot and everything is super smooth. Managed hosting isn't worth the extra costs, imo.

Back