Viral Nova sells for $100,000,000

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Scott DeLong started Viral Nova himself after building and liquidating other sites, one of which was a Christian version of YouTube. I remember a while back when Facebook changed their Edge Rank algorithm and DeLong tried to sell but nobody made any solid offers.

All of that changes today. Zealot Media picked up the site for 100 million dollars.

Apparently he almost gave up at one point before the site popped off. When he hit $500 a month, he realized he could do $5,000. Then he want on to $100,000+ per month. And now he's done for life.

Here's the Business Insider story that I just summarized above.

LESSONS LEARNED:
  • Strike while the Iron is Hot. Take advantage of a method that's working, and work it hard. Things may change, and when you pivot, you'll have built and brand and fans that will follow you.
  • Don't give up just because your expectations weren't met fast enough. Persevere.
  • Hold out for the right offer.
  • Don't wait around for SEO traffic to grow. Go out and get your own traffic.

Awesome. Absolutely awesome! He's done very well and deserves it.

Inspiring for sure. Looks like a very simple site, but every article title seems interesting and they got a good email following as well.

I don't want to bother starting a new thread about it, but another large flip went down recently. Match Group bought PlentyOfFish for $575,000,000, which was a true bootstrapped effort. They took zero funding. The owner must be absolutely thrilled.

It goes to show you... we don't need original ideas, solid coding, or even good execution. Just decent execution with perseverance in a vertical that we know has traffic and a need.

Back