Value Your Time And Avoid Time Wasters

GNews

White Hat Genius
BuSo Pro
Degree
Before,

I used to take on all jobs, big and small.

What I found.
1) You get overworked
2) You prioritize the wrong clients trying to reach deadlines of people who won't even return
3) People with less to spend, tend to stress you more

So one day, a client told me... I was crazy for working for the prices i do and this client was a reseller. He knew I was in touch binds time to time, trying to live from small profits I was making in months where clients were slow. And of course, you have people who just simply LIE and ask for money back, leaving me with a debt bigger than I would have profited from their 5 to 10 article job.

I was practicing an insanely bad work habit... simply thinking "More sales is better. Lower the price, get more sales"

Then my client made me realize. I offer one of the best quality services of the biggest forums on-line. People were selling higher than me, using non-native english speakers to write their content and also -- those who just had less experience and selling crappy sites that were spam farms. YET THEY MADE MORE .

So I stopped. I raised my prices. I had to put a different value to my time.

I no longer wanted to fall behind on projects. I no longer wanted to stress people who spent $300 and though I owed them the world, even after I gave them a discount to that small order.

Instead, I targeted people who had a bigger goal /vision. I wanted clients who were ON THIS INTERNET to win and make a life-long career.

So I took my clients advice on profit margins. I increased my outreach (sites I can post on). I cut off sites that didn't meet quality news journalism requisites (didnt have the proper reach).... And I began my journey.

What I found:
1) There are a sufficient amount of clients willing to spend 4-figures to operate a proper business
2) People with more to give, recognize quality and pay the providers of quality services well to maintain the flow of services
3) I get far less of the 'snobby-penny-pinchers' that always seem to cause problems and stress
4) Most importantly.. People who are worth something, dont waste a lot of time on trying to negotiate. 2 hours lost for them is more valuable than $1000 of negotiatino (when there's sufficient reviews on the service). Rich people have great visions and know what they need. They roll the dice. They take risks. They pay for what they need and move forward. Hesistant people fail.

Just like car accidents... Overly hesitant drivers cause more traffic accidents/failures. Same in business. "Aware" vs "Hesitant".. 2 different people.

Yes, exclusions to every rule but you will cut 85% of the nonsense valuing your time properly as a businessman.

Just thought I would share this for others that may have a web business or new journey they are about to embark upon.

- GNBL / R

Last edited:
Tim Ferris said the same thing in Four Hour Work Week. It was the 80/20 rule. 80% of your hassles are from 20% of your customers. Just fire that 20%.

You would like the second to last chapter of Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin. The title is "For Love or Money: Valuing your life energy - work and income." In that chapter, she argues that work is not just paid activities. She says that work is any purposeful activity and work for pay is one type of purposeful activity. House work is another type of purposeful activity. or volunteering. or whatever else you'd like. Work is really your life energy and what you want to devote yourself to.

By breaking the link between work (any activity with a purpose) and pay, you're free to pursue other activities that you want. At the same time, if you're going to do something for pay, you might as well get paid the most for it! And, as you said, if you're doing something for pay and some customers are a nuisance, just get rid of them. The money is not worth the hassles. It is totally about valuing your life. You only have so many hours in your life.

Also, on the flip side of this, people who are totally passionate about things do it for free :smile: you can't pay them to do it and you can't control them with money to do it at a certain time for you or how you want it. That's really the limit to money. If you pay someone to do something, they're just doing it for the money. It is not the same as them doing that thing just to do that thing. This is the difference between paid sex and free sex. Commissioned art and passion art. Being raised by a nanny versus being raised by a mother. The best things you can never buy :smile:

You would like the second to last chapter of Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin. The title is "For Love or Money: Valuing your life energy - work and income." In that chapter, she argues that work is not just paid activities. She says that work is any purposeful activity and work for pay is one type of purposeful activity. House work is another type of purposeful activity. or volunteering. or whatever else you'd like. Work is really your life energy and what you want to devote yourself to.

Really appreciate how this was written / elaborated on

I have definitely found working with youth to help them find their potential to be a work I dont mind doing free; If i did not have to pay bill I would probably convert into an international sports trainer or launch a sports academy of some sort

I do think every one or 99.9% can have their time purchased for money though. But again, top tier of us, will want a top dollar for our time.

Back