Value of aged domain that has no links, just age

Degree
Is an aged domain really worth it? I get it if the domain has a link profile and some DA. But what if it is just an aged domain? That's all it has going for it. How much better is an aged domain than a brand new one if you are just kicking off a new site? Thanks!

Several questions:
1)How many pages does the aged domain have indexed in google?
2) Are these pages of high quality content?
3) How old are the pages that are indexed in google
4) Does the aged domain have any traffic?

Short answer: Meh, don't worry about it, it won't make or break you. If there's some tiny increment of benefit, it's far outweighed by just choosing the best brand name period, and completely stunted compared to having an aged domain with a strong existing backlink profile.

---

People also use age as a selling point unrelated to SEO like just selling domains as brands, like a domain that's been sitting with a "For Sale" sign for the past 20 years is somehow more valuable because it's "aged" lol. Like if there hasn't been an end-user for this name after 20 years, that's supposed to encourage me to buy it?

If age is ALL it has going for it, like you asked? Let's take the extreme example of sghjfghjkrgkjdhgrrg.net and it's 20 years old, no it's not worth anything if age is it's only good trait.

If it's a good brand that fits what you're hoping to do with the name, and it has age, it won't hurt.

I'd rather go with a less aged name that's a better brand, than a name with age... and it's not even close.

I simply wouldn't take age into consideration if I was choosing between two names for a project, even as a tie breaker.

If it's got a site on it, backlinks, all that stuff, that's a different story.

If we're just talking about a domain that's been registered for a while but there's no site on it or anything, I don't personally put any extra value into that, and I don't imagine it has any SEO benefits nor do I have any clue how someone would even attempt to measure that.

There are so many variables these days that I think it's better to just zoom out rather than getting bogged down on every little detail that might or might not make much of a difference. If you stick to the basics, consistently, you'll win, whether your domain is newborn or old enough to get a sore back after sitting at a desk for 2 hours.

For starting a new site, I don't believe that an aged domain is better than a new one at all, and a "used" domain can even bring its own sets of challenges for example of it's been penalized in the past, blacklisted, trademark issues, etc.

Back